SASS Wire Forum

Helicopter separation distance in flight?

Depends. Training or combat?

Also depends on the aircraft,

5 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Helicopters are not aircraft. They're contraptions forced into submission by very skilled operators. ^_^

Helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission. They're best described as 40,000 spare parts flying in close formation.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Depends. Training or combat?

Also depends on the aircraft,

I'd imagine it also depends on the competency of the pilots.  :)

In Combat:

In 1966 the Army specified 1&1/2 rotor disc diameters apart.  In the 121st a 1/2 rotor disc diameter separation was common.

Depends.  When I flew with Vietnam vets they flew so close I was nervous….one wind gust away from contact it seemed like.  When I was at the controls I tried not to tailgate as much…Never used tight formation flight except for the occasional training event.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Sheridan said:

100,000 parts spinning in loose formation around an oil leak. 

Waiting for metal fatigue to set in.

Also, helicopters don't fly, they're so awful the Earth repels them.

Put them down and make your disparaging comments, but there is very little as comforting as the sound of a helicopter coming to bring desperately needed supplies and reinforcements to help you or to take your tired, frightened,  desperate ass out of harm's way.  I still love the distinctive sound of Hueys

when the blackhawks leave the base here they are a good distance to start , maybe a mile , but when they are coming in from ripley over my house they are a lot closer - these are training and transport or testing flights as they are doing some repairs here 

The only two helos I rode in were up in Montana, piloted by guys just back from 'Nam, who delighted in either flying knap of the earth up cliffs or chasing coyotes!  Never saw two of them flying in formation.  However, I would suppose it would depend on whether for training...in which case safety should keep them farther apart...or in a combat situation where they might be needing to land or pick up troops in a hot LZ, fast.  God Bless them all! My veterans post is named after Capt. Ellis David Greene, KIA attempting to extract troops in Cambodia. An RPG came through the cockpit, killing him and his co-pilot. RIP, Dave! 

|

|:FlagAm:

|

Brave individuals driving pickle choppers to deliver and saves life

Archived