SASS Wire Forum

Shooting a clean match

Quiet Burp

19 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

So far I have 1 clean match this year---EOT----

Hells Comin 

You can just cruse the rest of the year.  Nice to get that annual quota early. :D

Some of our fastest shooters in Arizona, in all classes, shoot a lot of clean matches.  Shooting clean means your front sight is on target when your guns are fired.  How fast can you shoot to overcome a miss or misses?  

I shot 35 matches last year and had 1 miss the whole year.  Got a lot of congrats, some "shooting to slows", but, since I carry a sidearm for work, I don't need a fast "MISS".  

Pick your goal and go for it.  As long as you are satisfied with your performance don't worry about what others think.

On 4/18/2022 at 9:23 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

@Griff shoots Minuteman style. Likes to see how close to 60 seconds per stage he can get. :)

Used to!  Now I'm trying cut that time in half!  

23 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I'm just glad you're having fun.  After all, that's the point of all of this.  Do what makes you happy (so long as all safety rules are followed and no one get hurt).

i agree , that is always my goal , along with meeting up new folks and old friends , im no longer a competitor for any rankings but i do enjoy the company and will always recognize the great shooters among us , ive witnessed many and am always amazed , 

As stated before.   Clean is highly over rated.   Having fun is the mission.  Worrying hampers the fun .    Do whatever is the most fun to you!    GW

An older fellow shoots one of the local matches regularly. He shoots full house bp loads in all his guns. We say the air shakes and the earth trembles when he shoots. He always asks his time when he is done. He always says that if he takes less than 50 or 60 seconds he “ain’t gettin’ his money’s worth”. But - you can’t miss that huge smile on everybody's faces including his when he is done. After all, it’s about having fun for most folks. 

I don't shoot often enough to ever work on what I need to do to gain any respectable speed. I'm doing OK, but am stuck in a time range that is always pretty consistent,  match to match BUT I can and do have several clean monthlies and a match or two every year. Until I can shoot more and practice for speed I'll be "stuck" with my current ability and all-in-all I am OK with that.

For now. ;)

1 hour ago, G W Wade said:

As stated before.   Clean is highly over rated.   Having fun is the mission.  Worrying hampers the fun .    Do whatever is the most fun to you!    GW

I would be there to enjoy my guns that are running well, hitting my targets, and not being last in total time. Shooting clean is the best I can do with world class shooters in my category. The socializing among nice folks I take for granted and appreciate a lot.

Quiet Burp does not deserve to be ribbed by faster shooters (shows a complete lack of respect and class in my book).

I can tell you that I am a relatively new shooter (started in 2020).

I have been to a dozen of my club shoots (Dusty Bunch, Maricopa, AZ) and to three regional matches (Yuma, AZ Territorial Prison Breakout, Casa Grande, AZ Gathering of the Posse's and Lake Havasu City, AZ Shootout at Aubrey Hills. I was on the roster for Bordertown (2021) in Tombstone, AZ but covid was at it's peak.

I shot clean in Yuma, had just two misses in Casa Grande and had two misses in Lake Havasu City (one due to a bad load that jammed).

I am in the middle of the pack at my club shoots and also at the regionals speed wise.

I think this is a good beginner's strategy because as they say "slow is smooth, and smooth is fast".

I plan to increase my speed "naturally" with an emphasis on keeping my matches "clean".

I miss SASS shooting, but have had two pals pass away to the chapter eternal due to covid.

My neighbor was hauled away via ambulance just yesterday morning (and just when I was about to rejoin my club this month).

This too shall all eventually pass. 

*A hearty shout-out to my team pard's, Flatulent Fred and Jackpine Bill! ;) :FlagAm: B)

you will get some complaints. they really dont matter.  I have shot with some of the sports best that will not shoot with a slower shooter.  to me that shows total lack of integrity.   two people that i consider friends shoot slow, like average closer to 200 seconds a stage slow.  one walks with canes the other is just not physically able to shoot faster.  everybody pays the same, they get the same opportunity for fun.

On 4/20/2022 at 11:08 AM, evil dogooder said:

you will get some complaints. they really dont matter.  I have shot with some of the sports best that will not shoot with a slower shooter.  to me that shows total lack of integrity.   two people that i consider friends shoot slow, like average closer to 200 seconds a stage slow.  one walks with canes the other is just not physically able to shoot faster.  everybody pays the same, they get the same opportunity for fun.

That is when I really slow down my shooting.

I look over at em' between stages and give em' a good ol' wink. <_<

well---when I come to fireing line---timer puts away his timer & uses a sundial--no way I'm ever gonna  get in line up of fast guns!! I get a lot of fun outta being extra accurate with my shooting----target shaped like someone wearing a coat---hit the coatbuttons-----or place shot between its eyes-----old bow legged sass cowboy target--can't say in public where I put the round in it!!!--Just cutting up& safely having fun!!--Oh yeah got a bunch o clean matches over the past 25 years--4 or 5  plaques for clean annual or seasonal matches and 3 for our long range matches------deep down inside o me is old old teaching about hitting what ya aiming at!!

Archived