SASS Wire Forum

Shooting a clean match

Quiet Burp

I'm trying to shoot clean stages and want to shoot a clean match hopefully.

Its making me slow down a real lot like really slow down. Getting some ribbing from others but I'll never shoot clean at my age fast. Do you care if people shoot really slow trying to shoot clean?

22 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

Its making me slow down a real lot like really slow down. Getting some ribbing from others but I'll never shoot clean at my age fast. Do you care if people shoot really slow trying to shoot clean?

You paid your money just like everyone else. This means you can shoot as fast or as slow as you want. Shoot the way that brings YOU the most enjoyment. If someone doesn't like it then that is THEIR problem not yours!!!

@Griff shoots Minuteman style. Likes to see how close to 60 seconds per stage he can get. :)

15 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

Little concerned that I'm holding things up a little though. 

Please don't be.

50 seconds per stage when the average is 25 only adds 2 1/2 minutes to the day. I don't have a problem with that, and I'd be disappointed if anyone else did.

Any body that would complain about a shooter going slow..well they are just an a'ole...if you want clean matches then go for it, plenty do !

I still look to shoot clean at every match I go to, doesn't happen a lot  [ 25 in 15 years..yes I keep a list ]..just enjoy, have fun & the rest will take care of itself..when you do shoot a few clean ignore the comment of '' if your shooting a clean match you aint 'shootin' fast enuff !!!

no - i dont mind at all , im not a fast shooter and i too always look for a clean match , i too am older and id like to shoot a clean match , ill never be a fast match shooter , gotta enjoy what you are doing 

I prefer to get my miss on the first stage and put that pesky clean match business right out of my mind. :D

Wasn't there a feller that said something like slow is smooth and smooth is fast?

Play the game the way that makes you happy my friend. I haven't had a clean match since I switched to gunfighter. Been thinking about slowing down to get one but I don't think the timers have enough digit spaces for it. 

Cheers mates, the replies from everyone has built my confidence to shoot slowly and enjoy meself. 

I must remember this line When you shoot slower the fun lasts longer. :)

Thank you for that one.

12 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Play the game the way that makes you happy my friend. I haven't had a clean match since I switched to gunfighter. Been thinking about slowing down to get one but I don't think the timers have enough digit spaces for it. 

This^^^

If you drive home from the match with a smile, that means you did it right.

25 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

Cheers mates, the replies from everyone has built my confidence to shoot slowly and enjoy meself. 

I must remember this line When you shoot slower the fun lasts longer. :)

Thank you for that one.

My good friend Lethal Larry told me that not long after I started shooting.

BTW he got the alias because he almost always shot a clean match. This was long before anyone thought about having targets that were big and close. ;)

2 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

Hell no, it doesn't bother me and it shouldn't anybody! It probably doesnt bother you for someone to try to go fast does it? It kind of worries me that you felt you had to ask though. Are we talking "good natured ribbing?" 

People shoot for different reasons. Let 'em be.

I often shoot goofy combinations of guns that slow me way down - nobody complains. Picture a seven shot .56-50 Spencer, a "Fox Patent Sideswing" 10 gauge shotgun, and a pair of 18" .45's. Dat dere is a two minute stage. :lol:

This is entertainment and ONLY you get to decide what you want to get out of the game.

Anyone that complains about your pace; tell them that they are more than welcome to shoot faster to offset your time.

I'm not a clean match guy - but I'll tell you a story.

I was at Bordertown a few years back - the epitome of FAST matches with 11 clean stages in the book; that 12th stage which should have been a 15 or 16 second stretched into a 23 - with all the deliberate aiming I was doing.

I honestly dont recall how I placed in category that year and if my slowing down affected my standings - but I remember that was my first major annual shot clean.

Life is short - have fun.

Ya can't go thru life worrying about what others may (or may not) think.   Play the game 'Your Way'.   The rest of us

do the same thing..... we play the game our way.

TN Williams and I play the game differently..... but we do it the way each of us prefer.

Enjoy and have fun.  Go for the Clean.

You won't get ribbed for your style if you ever shoot on a posse with me.

..........Widder

I never go into a match intending to miss, I even tell myself on the drive, "slow down just a split second, make sure there is a site picture etc"  then the beep happens and the Tasmanian Devil comes out and i forget all of the go slower stuff.  

Shoot the way you want, some want to be fast, some want to be clean, some want to make smoke, some want to talk through the whole stage.  If what you are doing makes you smile, keep doing that.  I'd bet dimes to dollars that as you work on being accurate, you may be surprised that the speed will come back some.  Good fundamentals on target acquisition, and trigger pull, then transitions, you do not necessarily need to run everywhere.  

There are a number of shooters who can't run, or even shuffle quickly, but they are accurate and efficient in their movements, and they finish very high up, often in front of those who run like a rabbit and shoot like a ..... well can't think of what they shoot like, but fast!   

It takes all kinds in this game, and it's a game so have FUN! 

Close but no banana.  At one club I have shot two matches without a miss but had a Procedural on each.

If you had too many misses, advice given would include to slow down. To me, misses are wasted ammunition. Aside from slicker guns, more chances to practice would help me. The range near me does not allow rapid fire or drawing from a holster. Gun clubs are a bit far from me to really try to be a member, but that's a thought for providing more practice opportunities in their special bays.

12 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

We have some at our club that their main goal is to shoot Clean and I think that's great if that is what they want to do. We also give away an Eagle Eye Award to the member with the most "Clean"matches for the year. This years winner was Papa Oso, on the left in the picture.

I say do what makes you happy.

Randy

1412565566_PapaOsoEagleEyeAward.thumb.JPEG.f7a22abed1f5af07057cbefe18887e7c.JPEG

When I started, Snakebite coached me that whether you are shooting fast or slow it is important the learn to get the gun aimed properly at targets before firing a round.  Focus on acquiring targets faster--not firing the gun faster.

It was excellent advice.

The truth is that you can take many more seconds off your time by working on transitions and movement than by worrying about gun speed.   

Remember: nobody but you cares about how long you take to shoot.  Compare shooter times to the time it takes to reset targets and pick up brass and you'll realize clock time is not a very big deal.  

10 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I often shoot goofy combinations of guns that slow me way down - nobody complains. Picture a seven shot .56-50 Spencer, a "Fox Patent sideswing" shotgun, and a pair of 18" .45's. Dat dere is a two minute stage. :lol:

How many days before that smile wore off?

When I started shooting in SASS my main goal was to shoot clean.  But I always managed at least one miss, maybe a procedural, and even a couple SDQs thrown in.  When I finally got my first clean match, I was so exited I headed straight for my gun cart...with earplugs I couldn't hear people yelling "Unload Table!  Unload Table!"

Fortunately either Randy St Eagle, TW, or Imis (maybe all three) practically tackled me and pulled me to the unload table before I set down my guns.

I've had a couple clean matches after that, but it's not as important to me as it once was.  But I enjoy watching people take their time and shoot clean, as long as they're smiling!  (I enjoy it even more if they are slower than me!)

QB, I don't know what the targets are like where you shoot.  I started in '99 and shot 84 matches before I got my first clean match.  Then almost that many before my 2nd.  But targets got bigger and closer and now I average clean about half the time.  It is MUCH EASIER these days.   I am slowly speeding up but have always been a middle of the pack shooter (middle of the pack is twice as fast now as it used to be, just as the top shooters are twice as fast).

Shooting clean and shooting fast are both fun.  If you can do both, even more fun.  Here's a suggestion.  Maybe try shooting slowly until you get your first miss, then once you've blown your clean match go ahead and speed up (maybe as fast as you can).  You might find that you like shooting fast as well.  

10 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Five aimed shots are better than 50 fast misses.  I said it again

Imis

So was that you snickering at me this past Saturday? :ph34r::lol:

Sometimes the train just comes off the tracks, even if you swear you are doing everything the same!

20 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

A great SASS shooter once told me...

When you shoot slower the fun lasts longer. :)

Hey Dave, ya know another really great shooter and friend of so many of us, the late Colorado Jackson, said, "Clean is over-rated".  (We miss CoJac!)

Archived