SASS Wire Forum

Fifi the Superfortress :)

Sedalia Dave

always wanted a ride but she has never been here , my father was left gunner on one that was based on saipan , he seldom talked much of the experience but i was raised with a lot of B-29 data and photos , his plane and the crew photo graced the cover of yank in december of 44 - its my avitar everywhere else im seen on the net since 2001 - he passed on in 2000 , i have his 73rd wing "yearbook" and the 20th "yearbook" , one can spend a good deal of time just in those alone but ive also got an extensive collection of period data and photos of saipan/tinnian , 

came back to add that dolittle was flying 24s - i dont think the 29s would have gotten off that carrier , we did put a fair number of 29s over tokyo in december of 44 tho , well over 300 without looking it up , all fully loaded - lit it up 

11 hours ago, watab kid said:

came back to add that dolittle was flying 24s - i dont think the 29s would have gotten off that carrier , we did put a fair number of 29s over tokyo in december of 44 tho , well over 300 without looking it up , all fully loaded - lit it up 

Edited 11 hours ago by watab kid

Actually, Doolittle was flying B-25's off the Hornet. To conceal the identity of the carrier, FDR announced that the planes had been launched off "The Shangri La". At the time, there was no such ship.  However, later one was christened by that name!

Archived