SASS Wire Forum

These were fun and interesting to roll.

Captain Bill Burt

I used to use hair curler paper with or without a cigarette paper end cap. If using just the hair curler paper, I would just run a prick down the cone before capping.

These are linen with a cigarette paper end cap for my Sharps.

IMG_20220418_190352633.thumb.jpg.2cf98b048d6976b737a6e6c683fcb2be.jpg

Bill,

Long Gulch was making these not long ago.  He perfected his technique, but recently he's gone back to using a powder flask between stages.  Maybe you two can chat at this weekend's Cleveland shoot. 

I do. I have found it simplifies my process a bunch to use brass instead of linen or paper and I put my caps in the end of the brass now too. Cheating maybe?

1 hour ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Bill,

Long Gulch was making these not long ago.  He perfected his technique, but recently he's gone back to using a powder flask between stages.  Maybe you two can chat at this weekend's Cleveland shoot. 

I'll definitely chat with him Saturday.  Thanks.

I used to for a percussion Sharps carbine. I found it tedious, but I didn’t need many. I can’t imagine taking the time to roll enough for a brace of pistols for a match. A flask is a much better use of my time. 

Nonetheless, those are impressive. Nicely done! :)

Made them for my 1851's in .36cal.  Used cig. paper, curler paper, coffee filter and they all fired the first time. However they all left a lot of paper in the cylinders. Some time in the second or third loading I would get a misfire. Blamed it on the paper junk in the chamber. Loaded with APP most of the time.  Have not tried with real black yet.  Real black may burn hotter and solve the paper junk problem.

When I rolled my own for a .54 Sharps,  I used cigarette papers and real BP. I never noted any paper left in the chamber after firing and they worked fine. They were definitely a little fragile but as long as I transported them in a range box and handled with care they worked just fine.

Archived