SASS Wire Forum

Advice Installing Smith Shop Springs

Sedalia Dave

For what it’s worth, from personal experience, I only use the Smith Shop springs with aluminum carriers. They will work with lightened brass carriers—never tried with stock carriers—but they wear out much quicker than if you use an aluminum lifter. 

I installed a set of Pioneer Springs years ago.  They're not exactly the same as the ones you have, but they didn't affect the timing on the rifle.  Later on I short stroked the rifle, replacing the lifter and toggles  and according to the guy I sold it to, around 7 years ago, everything still works.   I didn't replace the carrier, but as Dan mentions above, and the Smith Shop recommends it might be worth using an aluminum carrier.

No, the Smith Shop Whisper Springs don't affect timing.   I've run some sets with aluminum blocks for 15 years.  They haven't lightened up on me.   

good luck, GJ

No.  I run them in both my '73s & 1860.  One '73 & the '60 are otherwise stock.

I am running Whisper Springs with brass carriers and no problems yet.    GW

In my 1873 I ran PGW springs but they wore out after 12 mths of only monthly usage. I then installed Slix Springs wire springs using my stock carrier and no short stroke. That was several years ago and has been nearly perfect although I think I've adjusted it a little too lightly as the timing is slightly off if the rifle is canted 90 degrees left/right but it's never been a problem when shooting. It's only a problem on the unloading table when trying to show clear and the rifle is flat on the table. I tried an aluminium carrier but the timing was way off and the carrier would never drop low enough to let the next round in from the magazine. I would need to modify the lifter arm to force the carrier further down.

The wire springs made a huge difference in ease of cycling and highly recommended.

29 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

I am running Whisper Springs with brass carriers and no problems yet.    GW

Me too in both mine and my wifes '73.....hope no problems ever arise as they have made the rifles feel great.

Archived