SASS Wire Forum

I AM INVADED!!!

The enemy has descended upon me and war is declared!

First -- a solitary scout, scuttling across the basement Maytag.

Next day -- another lone scout, on the stainless steel of the kitchen sink.

On the third day -- they attacked in company strength, setting up regular routes of march: I responded with those flat plastic Terro bait stations, and some strategically-placed blobs of exterminator grade stuff that comes in syringes with stern warnings about use (barricaded hound dog out of the kitchen for the duration, no wish for him to get curious and taste test dabs of destruction!)

The Antskis' numbers are markedly reduced today -- no more than a half dozen, all solitary -- and now have added to my arsenal, Oil of Peppermint, with which to mix a spray solution, which I am told is repellent and indeed lethal to the scuttling scoundrels: borax and diatomaceous earth are in like wise recommended.

I was going to raise a cutlass, sound General Quarters and declare in a great voice to repel boarders, but alas I have not a naval cut-toe, and besides ... I look silly enough the way it is, without adding to it!

@Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103

What type of pillaging ants are ye fight'in? :angry:

A mix of baking powder and sugar left for them to take back to their nest will earn you a charge of genocide from the Ant World.

I have learned over the years to skip the preliminary skirmish and feel good diplomacy. I go right for the nuclear options, inside and out. About twice a year the little border jumpers start getting antsy..... And I respond all out of proportion.

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

A mix of baking powder and sugar left for them to take back to their nest will earn you a charge of genocide from the Ant World.

He don't want to cook and eat em............ he wants to kill em.

:lol::lol::lol:

(sorri, I just couldn't resist)

..........Widder

4 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

@Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103

What type of pillaging ants are ye fight'in? :angry:

Those rascally little sugar ants.  Sweet ants I've heard 'em called. What I call them does not bear repeating in polite company.

Hey Pards!

I use ZEVO safe for kids and pets, works like a charm!

Good luck

16 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Those rascally little sugar ants.  Sweet ants I've heard 'em called. What I call them does not bear repeating in polite company.

Go ahead...they are PISS ants....

Mom and dad's house had them/new owners probably still do, for 30 years or more.

No exterminator, or treatment or home remedy got rid of them.

Once they build their 'home' they stay!:(

I found wiping the edges with cleaning vinegar slowed them down quite a bit.

good news for momma was they only appeared a short time each year. Much like Miller Moths!!!

Strategically placed, these work fantastic!

931155755_91SlI74ypL._AC_SX679_.jpg.720b0b25e77bbbdebf1c6d7e84214f21.jpg

At first, it appears the problem is getting worse, but give them a few days and they all go bye-bye.

Deployed a dozen and the enemy's ranks are seriously depleted!

On 4/17/2022 at 4:58 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Ortho Home Defense is odorless, very effective, and long lasting. Once it dries it is non-toxic to pets and children.

Sounds like the combination I am looking for, many thanks!

Any bait containing odorless, tasteless Fipronil will be hauled back to the nest and fed to the royalty-- end of colony.  Fipronil is used in flea powders and rinses.  It is pet-toxic in big doses, but less so than most other insecticides.  Just protect the bait in containers with small pet-proof but ant-accessible holes.  

I use Terro. Takes care of em pretty quick.

14 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Any bait containing odorless, tasteless Fipronil will be hauled back to the nest and fed to the royalty-- end of colony.  Fipronil is used in flea powders and rinses.  It is pet-toxic in big doses, but less so than most other insecticides.  Just protect the bait in containers with small pet-proof but ant-accessible holes.  

My baby sis took a page from your playbook!

She said to take a Tupperware container I don't love anymore, put the ant stuff in it, then drill holes in the lower corners, snap the lid on -- put the holed Tupperware at the ant trail -- they'll go inside, avail themselves of death and destruction and pack it off -- but Arf the Wonder Mutt can't get to it!

I shall take your advice and hers!

It doesn't eliminate the colony, but Dawn soap in a water mix or Simple Green spray does a great job of contact killing the invaders without risk of pesticides inside the house.  

Archived