SASS Wire Forum

Got me new brogans

Utah Bob #35998

1 hour ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Those are GREAT!  Where did you get them?

Historical emporium.com. Pretty cheap too.  Ben wearing em two days and they feel very good. 

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Thank you. Not that I wanted a pair, but I've been trying to remember what that style of shoe has been called ever since I saw it. My father used to wear them. Not high tops like that - just regular shoes. But that style of toe. Wingtips. I just could not remember the name. ^_^

13 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Thank you. Not that I wanted a pair, but I've been trying to remember what that style of shoe has been called ever since I saw it. My father used to wear them. Not high tops like that - just regular shoes. But that style of toe. Wingtips. I just could not remember the name. ^_^

The style originated in Scotland and Ireland around the 1600s. The holes were originally designed to drain water and help the feet dry out. Eventually it just became a fashion . Brogan comes from the old Gaelic Bróc (shoe).

I have horrible luck with buying boots on line.  They rarely fit, and then I end up having to fight to get them returned.  Amazon is the only place I've ever returned a boot that was easy.

I've ordered one pair of boots on line ever that came in and fit.  They came from Sheplers, and were ordered using the numbers on the inside of a boot I already had that fit well.  

Don't ever wear them in an attempt to rob a bank wearing a mask.   They'll

identify you from your shoes immediately..... :o

I really like em.  Very stylish.

..........Widder

When I was a teenager wingtips were what all the guys wore, it was before the tennis shoe rage that took over. Also had wedge soles (solid sole, no heel.) Had to have horseshoe taps too if you were cool. They were damn heavy too.

6 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

When I was a teenager wingtips were what all the guys wore, it was before the tennis shoe rage that took over. Also had wedge soles (solid sole, no heel.) Had to have horseshoe taps too if you were cool. They were damn heavy too.

Never saw any wingtips in my high school. They were for dads and teachers. Penny loafers were the rage. 200 dollar sneakers were not on the horizon. Surfer dudes woulda worn sandals but it was agin the rules. ;)

13 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Who remembers "Snapjacks"?  Can't recall if it was the first year of Junior High or the last year of Grade School, must have.

I had totally forgotten about those! A friend had a pair and I thought them really cool. My parents wouldn’t spring for them though. Now that I’m growed up, I wouldn’t either. 

https://www.ballyhoovintage.com/product/40445.html

4 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Had to look that one up. I assume it’s a compliment, but depending on one’s context and culture, it’s something else. Scroll down…

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shmick&amp=true

Most definitely a compliment!

2 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Figured as much! I’d never heard the word. 

Its very common here, anybody get's dressed up to the nine going out and they ask "How do I look" most often the reply will be "Pretty shmick"! Could also be said as "Shmicko".

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Its very common here, anybody get's dressed up to the nine going out and they ask "How do I look" most often the reply will be "Pretty shmick"! Could also be said as "Shmicko".

I think I’ve been called a Schmicko a time or two before. I might have misunderstood though.

11 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I think I’ve been called a Schmicko a time or two before. I might have misunderstood though.

if you walked into a pub with the new brogans on you'd most definitely "Pretty schmick shoes there mate"!

If you asked family do you like my new shoes, they'd say "Well now aren't you  lookin' just schmick in them"!

If you asked a mate "Like these" he'd most likely look down and say "Schmicko"!

50 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

if you walked into a pub with the new brogans on you'd most definitely "Pretty schmick shoes there mate"!

If you asked family do you like my new shoes, they'd say "Well now aren't you  lookin' just schmick in them"!

If you asked a mate "Like these" he'd most likely look down and say "Schmicko"!

If it was in a bar here, some unpleasantness might result! :lol:

Archived