SASS Wire Forum

Current Car Market

Doc Shapiro

Gads.  My daughter has lined up a summer internship.  A 9 to 5 electrical engineering thing for the summer.  There's no nearby public transportation, and it's too far for a bike.  Then she's going to college in the fall, will be commuting.  No easy way to get there with public transport.  So a car it is. Yes, I know she could have saved and bought one herself, eventually.  CA doesn't allow anyone to work until they're 16, and there are a ton of restrictions on it.  She's been working as much as she can, but there's no way she can afford a solid car.  She's tiny, and would be an easy target in the event of breakdown.  Just not going there with a project car, which is all she could afford.

So we went out looking today.  Used cars are stupid expensive.  Dealers have very limited stock of new cars (and not much in used cars either).  Very little to choose from.  Fortunately, we found a (barely) affordable new Corolla.  I like Toyota.  She'll be able to drive it for 15 or 20 years.  So I bought her a car.  She's not getting another from me,.  She'll have to deal with the gas, maintenance, tires, and all the other stuff that goes along with it.  It took a while for the magnitude of the gift to sink in.  She's super grateful.  I got a hug from her.  She hasn't hugged me since she was little.  That was nice.

5 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Gads.  My daughter has lined up a summer internship.  A 9 to 5 electrical engineering thing for the summer.  There's no nearby public transportation, and it's too far for a bike.  Then she's going to college in the fall, will be commuting.  No easy way to get there with public transport.  So a car it is. Yes, I know she could have saved and bought one herself, eventually.  CA doesn't allow anyone to work until they're 16, and there are a ton of restrictions on it.  She's been working as much as she can, but there's no way she can afford a solid car.  She's tiny, and would be an easy target in the event of breakdown.  Just not going there with a project car, which is all she could afford.

So we went out looking today.  Used cars are stupid expensive.  Dealers have very limited stock of new cars (and not much in used cars either).  Very little to choose from.  Fortunately, we found a (barely) affordable new Corolla.  I like Toyota.  She'll be able to drive it for 15 or 20 years.  So I bought her a car.  She's not getting another from me,.  She'll have to deal with the gas, maintenance, tires, and all the other stuff that goes along with it.  It took a while for the magnitude of the gift to sink in.  She's super grateful.  I got a hug from her.  She hasn't hugged me since she was little.  That was nice.

Yes used cars are way high right now . I agree with daughter , dependable and yes Toyota , Honda  decent for insurances ect , Good choice dad .

When my daughters car died in 2011 we gave her my wifes civic with about 190,000 miles on it. She's married now and they have a newer car but she still has the civic with over 250,000 on it.

We bought a used Corolla with about 70,000 miles on it in the 90s. Later I was waiting for it to die so I could get me a Tacoma. Corrola finally gave out at 330,000 miles. Now I've still got my 2007 Tacoma with about 265,000 on it.

Doc, that's a long time between hugs. I've  got 4 grandchildren now.

Yeah, I'm not worried about it.  She'll have this car for a LONG time.  They're worth the cost, but dang, it's gotten high.

I drive a Tacoma now.  It's my 2nd one.  The first one had nearly 300k mi on it when I traded it in.

Howdy,

IF you get a good Toyota its wonderful but but but get a bad one and

kiss your budget good bye.

I had a part repaired that was recalled a few weeks later.

They asked for documentation and then more doc and then more doc.....

I finally gave up because I bought a HONDA.

The trouble with Honda is that they make a great car then discontinue it.

Four wheel steering Prelude was amazing.

Best

CR

I bought my first Toyota in 1969, brand new.  It was the first car I owned with factory A/C.  After 5 years the only thing that had not failed or acted up was the clock.  I owned three more since, but they left such a bad taste in my mouth that I won't even look at one without disdain.  I know they have all come a looong way, but I just hate all of them, Toyota, Honda, KIa, Dartsun etc., and I don't even want to remember the worst, a Renault!

Toyotas here.

Camry with 280,000

Camry with 207,000

Sequoia with 210,000

All going stronger than they should.

I think only Billionaires can afford new cars these days. Gotta make those used ones last and Toyotas do last.

My neighbor is a Ford mechanic... 20 plus years. He recently told me all his Ford car mechanic buddies own Toyotas. :D

2 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I bought my first Toyota in 1969, brand new.  It was the first car I owned with factory A/C.  After 5 years the only thing that had not failed or acted up was the clock.  I owned three more since, but they left such a bad taste in my mouth that I won't even look at one without disdain.  I know they have all come a looong way, but I just hate all of them, Toyota, Honda, KIa, Dartsun etc., and I don't even want to remember the worst, a Renault!

I've had that experience with Subaru.

Just to add...

A work associate just bought 2 Toyota FJ Cruisers. Both 2007 models. One had 198,000 miles the other 238,000. I mentioned the mileage. He said he wasn't worried about the mileage,  they're Toyotas! :D

I was a factory trained Toyota wrench in the early 70s.
Fine vehicle then, fine vehicle today (mostly).

Corolla is a good choice for basic wheels.
My 1991 Toyota Truck is 240k now, ugly as sin but runs well.

New Tacomas are too big (for me), have too many engine and transmission bugs (like all the others) so I stick with the 1991.
I'm a fan of stick shift, and was interested in the 6-speed manual... until I found its Achilles heel.
The clutch parts are cheap and grenade when they fail.
The bell housing in this transmission is integral with the case itself, and is destroyed when the clutch grenades.
This adds another $1,000 to the repair cost for a new case/bell housing.

Add to all the above, the huge purchase cost.
I think I would be better served to find a 1976 pickup truck, and drop $40k into a full restoration.
This would give me a simple, strong running vehicle exempt from CA smog laws.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

...I think I would be better served to find a 1976 pickup truck, and drop $40k into a full restoration.
This would give me a simple, strong running vehicle exempt from CA smog laws.

I thought this same thing but with an older Jeep Grand Wagoneer (wood side panels) or a mid 80s Ford Bronco. Cost of getting into either of those now don't make the end goal work anymore. But 'twould be a fun vehicle!

I can envision an American pickup with a strong V8, RV cam, headers, manifold and carb.
No air pump, no EGG, no catalytic converters, no computer.  No smog inspections.
Maybe a disc brake swap up front.

Considering a new pickup is north of $70k, loaded with smog and electronics... I'd have a lot of wiggle room to rebuild a classic truck.

15 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I can envision an American pickup with a strong V8, RV cam, headers, manifold and carb.
No air pump, no EGG, no catalytic converters, no computer.  No smog inspections.
Maybe a disc brake swap up front.

Considering a new pickup is north of $70k, loaded with smog and electronics... I'd have a lot of wiggle room to rebuild a classic truck.

Have a '79 that I have got to be pretty good, much enjoy it except it has a drinking problem, somewhere between 8 and 10 mpg. Last time I filled it, and it wasn't empty, over $130.

Two dealers call me at least twice a day wanting me to trade my Subaru in, offering me scads of money.

”ON WHAT?”, I asked, “I checked your website. Your inventory is almost non existent!”

ANd the Ford dealer in Moab seems so desperate to play Let’s make a Deal that I think I could get him to send a limousine to pick me up.

Loved my Sequoia till one of the A.I.R injection valves started acting up. Dealer quoted $5K to replace a $250.00 part. All the emissions controls are located valley below the intake. Entire top of the engine has to be removed to replace one. 

Judicious application of carb and injector cleaners got it working again. Traded it in on a new GMC 2500HD.

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Got intrigued when Ford announced the return of the Bronco - then I saw one.  Tiny, compared to the old model.  Pass.

LL

Small Bronco Sport or Larger Bronco?

Bronco Sport is a non starter for Bronco fans.

Here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, I was used to vehicles rusting out before they wore out.

Then I had a talk with my favourite mechanic and rebuilder and he talked me into getting my vans oil sprayed every year. 

Now I drive my vans until they actually wear out mechanically.

I’ve been watching and looking at all of the superfluous electronic gadgetry that is being sold on all of the new vehicles!  It is expensive, driving the price of new cars/trucks up and it drastically increases the cost of repairs and maintenance! These electronics are prone to premature failure, deeply imbedded into the necessary functions of the vehicle, distracting to most drivers, and obsolete within one or two model years.

When this junk fails, and it will fail after a few years, these vehicles are likely to be unrepairable and nearly worthless as trade ins!!  We had this same situation a little more than a decade and a half ago!  How many Dodge Omnis, Mercury Merkurs, or Chevy Citations do you see on the road today! How many of the ECM/ECU controlled vehicles from the earlier 2,000s are still running half as well as they did new, if they’re running at all??  And what prices and availability are we seeing for replacement parts and services for even a five year old vehicle??

Add to that the fact that a new vehicle, even a low buck new vehicle costs what we were paying for a very small home a couple of decades ago!! A mid level equipped full size pickup is $45,000.00 to $60,000.00!!!

I’ve decided to just run my ten year old Buick until it can no longer be made to run safely and comfortably!

My Ol’ Green doesn’t appear to be going to quit in the foreseeable future and I can repair it far more reasonably than the new vehicles can be repaired.

My motorcycle and my project cars are mid last century simple with NO electronic gadgetry and the most up to date materials and metallurgy where it counts.  I have supplies of those items that are needed for service and maintenance put back for support and the skill and knowledge to perform the necessary services. I’ve also taught my offspring to do the same and we’re both up to date on the new stuff too!

I won’t be supporting this madness for the near future!

On 4/16/2022 at 9:02 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Corolla is a good choice.  I've had three over the years and a Tacoma, a HiLux pickup and a pair of Coronas 

Hopefully not having the pair while operating one of the others.

11 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Got intrigued when Ford announced the return of the Bronco - then I saw one.  Tiny, compared to the old model.  Pass.

LL

That was probably the Bronco Sport.  Look up the Bronco Raptor.

I booked a 2019 Toyota with 60k today.  KBB Private Party was $30k, trade in was $27k.  Will check dealer lots tomorrow to see what current retail would be.  Sticker with fees was $33k new.  

On 4/17/2022 at 2:15 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Loved my Sequoia till one of the A.I.R injection valves started acting up. Dealer quoted $5K to replace a $250.00 part. All the emissions controls are located valley below the intake. Entire top of the engine has to be removed to replace one. 

Judicious application of carb and injector cleaners got it working again. Traded it in on a new GMC 2500HD.

Yep.
It is exactly this sort of hooey that discourages me from a new vehicle.
Another is the Tundra starter motor location... have to remove the entire exhaust manifold and plumbing to reach it.

I refuse to consider ANY vehicle that shuts off the engine at a stop light.
The wear and tear on the starter + engine is monstrous.

12 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I refuse to consider ANY vehicle that shuts off the engine at a stop light.
The wear and tear on the starter + engine is monstrous.

My daughter had one of those. A Buick of some sort. When that system broke down, she had to manually restart it at every traffic light or stop sign. PITA.

27 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

My daughter had one of those. A Buick of some sort. When that system broke down, she had to manually restart it at every traffic light or stop sign. PITA.

My aunt has a Buick that shuts off , hers has a button to disable the feature, but you do have to do it every time you restart the car . 
My whole life I’ve been told that the most wear on a motor is at start up . But the car manufacturers are trying to do everything to meet the government mileage mandates. And the sooner it wears out the better for their business plan . Planned obsolescence 

My 21 GMC has that, I'm just waiting for the time in traffic when it decides to sh#t the bed! They claim the starter and engine are designed for this. I have my doubts, but I'm old school too!

My Navy daughter has a Mercedes that does... but she can disable it.
IMO, this is a cheap shot to improve EPA mileage numbers, at the expense of vast mechanical wear and tear.

All of which, makes renovating a 1976 pickup ever more attractive.

I  buy a new minivan every 10 years. One-car household; very versatile in that situation. 

First, in 1990, was a Dodge Caravan, it was good, and very good in ice and snow. In 2000, a Honda Odyssey. It was good but not very in ice and snow, surprisingly.

Bought a Toyota Sienna in 2010. Great in every respect. Best ice and snow vehicle ever for me (all-wheel). So in 2020 bought another one. These Siennas are the best cars I've owned.

The others were going strong after 10 years, but I sold them, usually at bargain prices to one of our many children.

Howdy,

You might consider paying insurance on the girls car until she gets  making money.

OR

u  pay and have her repay you....

Kids dont know how bad a crash can be and most new drivers have one at least

A good friend got his boy a nice ride and the kid had to drive on snow like it was dry.

He slammed into a jeep which had real tires and treads.

And tell her to read the whole owner manual.

All those tricks can drive u crazy.

Best

CR

And the smartest money anyone can ever spend on a car is having it detailed

before putting it up for sale.

The second is insurance

The third is synthetic oil at least once a year.

Rainx.

Like her brother, if she's not in school she's expected to be working and paying her part of the insurance.  I'll make an exception for school so she can keep her grades up.  But if she's working, she's paying.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2022 at 11:14 AM, Dantankerous said:

Toyotas here.

Camry with 280,000

Camry with 207,000

Sequoia with 210,000

All going stronger than they should.

I think only Billionaires can afford new cars these days. Gotta make those used ones last and Toyotas do last.

My neighbor is a Ford mechanic... 20 plus years. He recently told me all his Ford car mechanic buddies own Toyotas. :D

I think you’re mistaken. We bought a new vehicle last November.

We’re not billionaires!

12 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I have had no good luck with Toyota. Better with Honda and Kia.

So far the two Subarus I’ve had were the best cars I’ve ever owned in the last 50 years.

32 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I have had no good luck with Toyota. Better with Honda and Kia.

When I lived in CA in the 80’s and 90’s it seemed like everyone drove a Toyota. They always seemed like decent cars , but they have their problems just like other makers. They do have a very loyal customer base that seems to think they can do no wrong. I know they do allot better in the rust belt now , they used to rot out terribly fast, they take the salt as good as anything else today 

Archived