SASS Wire Forum

Categories and Luck of the Draw

Rip Snorter

How about a match where you bring your usual guns and gear and draw straws for a chosen limited selection from the list of categories.  Pick 8 call them by color - what color straw you draw is where you shoot.  Old, young (ex the kids) ,male, female, etc. Certainly shake things up and rattle some bars!

1 minute ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I think that's not such a good idea.  Some folks have issues where (for example), they can't safely shoot duelist.  Forcing that isn't wise.

Not a serious proposal without more thought, just a a random thought that amused me.  A little like another Rip, I woke up in a whole new world of categories!

I think I am missing the point. 
Are you saying that if the red straw was “gunfighter” and a guy got that straw that normally shot duelist he would have to shoot as a gunfighter?

The details of category choice  would be better considered by people familiar with the current state of SASS and the categories.  Safety should of course be primary.  Life is random - the great quote, which I'll probably mangle from Doc to Wyatt "There is no normal life, there is just life - get on with it"  I think it could be done, and some few maniacs, like me might enjoy it.

Someone who has never fired a revolver one handed would probably be be terrified and likely would refuse to participate.  And wisely so!

53 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Not a serious proposal without more thought, just a a random thought that amused me.  A little like another Rip, I woke up in a whole new world of categories!

What might work is an optional category where (for example), Stage 1 is shot with a 2 handed grip.  Stage 2 is shot duelist-right hand only.  Stage 3 is shot GF.  Stage 4 is shot duelist-left hand only.  Stage 5 is shot GF.  Stage 6 is shooters choice. 

Just kicking it around a bit more.

So if I was to show up like normal - jeans with belt loops, a 92 - and I was to draw a straw that said classic, I could not participate because my rifle is illegal. If I drew B Western, my pants are illegal.

So I just turn around and go home?

If I had to shoot gunfighter, the targets for my right hand would need to be about a yard away! I can only raise my right arm to about 45deg. without the help of my left! And less with the weight of a gun. Inertia gets my rifle to my shoulder and it gets shot from where it lands!

I guess this would not work for me, but does sound kinda fun.

12 hours ago, Alpo said:

So if I was to show up like normal - jeans with belt loops, a 92 - and I was to draw a straw that said classic, I could not participate because my rifle is illegal. If I drew B Western, my pants are illegal.

So I just turn around and go home?

YES!! No shooting for you!!!:P

My draw is usually fine. My accuracy…not so much. ;)

No offense Rip.

I thought the reason to add new ideas/things to a match was to increase attendance. Seems to me that this would chase people away. Someone who has never shot single handed or with both hands pose a legit safety concern. The guy who shows up with a cross draw rig obviously can't shoot gunfighter, nor should he be forced to.

Sorry Rip, I would not attend, I don't like listening to or being around pissed off people. 

1 minute ago, Cypress Sun said:

No offense Rip.

I thought the reason to add new ideas/things to a match was to increase attendance. Seems to me that this would chase people away. Someone who has never shot single handed or with both hands pose a legit safety concern. The guy who shows up with a cross draw rig obviously can't shoot gunfighter, nor should he be forced to.

Sorry Rip, I would not attend, I don't like listening to or being around pissed off people. 

Hold that thought - I have another strange concept to follow soon!:ph34r:

No thanks. I put too much time, energy and money into shooting CC. I'd not want to drive an hour or more,  pay my fees, and be told I have do something I don't choose to do.

1 hour ago, Zeb Gray, #36839 said:

+ Doc Shapiro.  A local club did that a couple years ago.  It was a small group, only one posse.  Everyone participated.  It was a HOOT.  Gunfighters had the advantage.  

I'm not surprised that actively shooting GF'ers would have an advantage.  They regularly shoot that way.  Glad everyone had fun!

Well, turned out as a kid I was pretty ambidextrous with firearms.  Down the decades since, have practiced faithfully.  Frankly, didn't think about folks with different skills.   Apologies.  Wait till you see my next idea - title, The Cruelest Cut.  

Archived