SASS Wire Forum

what cowboy hat do Texas Rangers wear?

Irish Pat

If it’s a light colored hat, how can they tell if it’s faded?   :D

My department issued Stratton hats as I recall. Probably because they’re a big uniform supplier. We had to wear the issue hat. I wouldn’t have been able to afford a custom one. We had Cattleman’s for years, then switched to Montana Peaks.

A larges lady whacked me on the head with her purse during a fracas. I was glad to have a hat on, regardless of type. :lol:

F0D354DC-E373-4DD8-8B7D-5DEA1001E1C7.jpeg

I can recall buying gun leather I couldn't afford because issue wasn't much.  If my memory is correct salary was around $8k.  Most of us bought the leather, had our uniforms tailored, had good off duty guns, etc.  A matter of importance to a bunch of generally young guys.  Thankfully we didn't have to worry about hats, though I hated the Winter issue Manchurian Cowboy hats.  Other times, sigh...

The Texas Rangers (yes they are real and still among us) are an investigation division of the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) or commonly Highway Patrol or State Troopers if you will. They usually look like this.

JHC

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/04/8d/2c/048d2ce9c7cce6a625f5fc5b41cc5209.jpg

I've seen a few real Rangers, IIRC they were a little dressier detective looking guys. The one I remember best was carrying a 1911 cocked and locked with little Texas Ranger badges on the grips. Not real flashy, just a little badge on a wooden grip. Kinda sorta like this.

1911%2010_zps4d1njo10.jpg

JHC

I probably could never been a ranger!  It would only be at gunpoint that I could be made to wear that ugly “cattleman” hat!!

To each his own, but I despise that shape!! <_< :rolleyes:  I hated making them and tried to steer customers to ANY other style!!

Resistol supplies the cowboy hats that the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) aka Texas Rangers wear. The color is know as Textan and is unique to the Texas Rangers.

Texas Department of Fish and Game officers also wear Resistol Hats.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-texan/texas-primer-the-resistol-hat/

Texas Ranger Dress Regulations

[quote]

Hats. 

Hats will be light-colored and shaped in a businessman's style. Styles commonly called the Rancher or Cattleman will be the only styles acceptable. Brims must not exceed 4 inches or be flat with edges rolled up. Hats excessively crushed, rolled, or dipped are not acceptable. Members of the Ranger Division will own both a quality straw and quality felt hat. Palm-leaf styled hats are prohibited. The appropriate hat will usually be determined by the weather or assignment. Both types of hats will be kept clean. Faded or worn-out hats are expressly prohibited.

end quote

46 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Resistol supplies the cowboy hats that the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) aka Texas Rangers wear. The color is know as Textan and is unique to the Texas Rangers.

Texas Department of Fish and Game officers also wear Resistol Hats.

Be they a Ranger, DPS trooper or game warden, I would say it would be ill advised to snatch the hat off the man wearing the badge.

JHC

Several years ago, before my son and his ex parted, they took a vacation trip to the Outer Banks with the two grandsons, my mother, and Schoolmarm .

On the way home, Hatfield was stopped by a State Trooper.  During the stop, my youngest grandson who was about four years old at the time, was sitting in the back of the car, playing a hand held video game. No one paid him any mind and he was seemingly oblivious to what was going on.

I don’t recall the reason for the stop or whether my son received a ticket or just a warning, but the officer departed, everyone settled back into their places, and they resumed the journey.

As they continued on, Kale, from the back of the car, never so much as glancing up from his game, asked, “Who was that man in the ridiculous hat?” and continued on with his game.

Those who have repeated this story to me have all said that they were first stunned and then proceded to laugh  ‘til they couldn’t breathe!!

It’s been good for a chuckle for me over the years.  I know that it was the “Mounty” or “Montana Peak” headgear, but my own mental picture is of some guy in chrome reflective sunglasses and a  RIDICULOUS  light colored or white “Cattleman” hat!!

6 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Several years ago, before my son and his ex parted, they took a vacation trip to the Outer Banks with the two grandsons, my mother, and Schoolmarm .

On the way home, Hatfield was stopped by a State Trooper.  During the stop, my youngest grandson who was about four years old at the time, was sitting in the back of the car, playing a hand held video game. No one paid him any mind and he was seemingly oblivious to what was going on.

I don’t recall the reason for the stop or whether my son received a ticket or just a warning, but the officer departed, everyone settled back into their places, and they resumed the journey.

As they continued on, Kale, from the back of thecar, never so much as glancing up from his game, asked, “Who was that man in the ridiculous hat?” and continued on with his game.

Those who have repeated this story to me have all said that they were first stunned and then proceded to laugh  ‘til they couldn’t breathe!!

It’s been good for a chuckle for me over the years.  I know that it was the “Mounty” or “Montana Peak” headgear, but my own mental picture is of some guy in chrome reflective sunglasses and a light colored or white “Cattleman” RIDICULOUS  hat!!

Four year old mentality. DPS has stopped me more than once. I never found the need to call the trooper's hat ridiculous. Ill advised.

JHC

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

Sorry, uniform may be ridiculous like the dam' Manchurian cowboy hats, but if uniform is part of the job, you will comply or seek other employment!

Given the choice??  Other employment, and without hesitation!!

6 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Four year old mentality. DPS has stopped me more than once. I never found the need to call the trooper's hat ridiculous. Ill advised.

JHC

True, but you certainly can’t fault his observation skills!!  :lol:

He STILL thinks that the Mounty hat looks silly, particularly the way it’s worn by most officers!

58 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Given the choice??  Other employment, and without hesitation!!

Over a hat? :lol:

One wears the prescribed uniform, like it or not. 

It doesn't matter if outsiders like it or not. 

I did not care for the enlisted man's U.S. Navy hat, but I wore it never-the-less.

A friend of mine, that was a green beret, said the beret felt like a wet washcloth on his head. He wore it because of what it took to get it, and what it stood for. 

A hat design, of a particular branch of law enforcement, or military, like it or not, was paid for by suffering, blood, and death. So...I figure that makes up for it looking like hell.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

13 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Over a hat? :lol:

Yessir!!  It’s just me.  Reckon life’s too short. I’ll do what makes me happy.  No sense in doing otherwise.

Many years ago, 1972 to be exact, I worked for a big amusement park.  I ran a janitorial staff that worked exclusively indoors in the park during off hours.  

When the park closed for the winter, they’d begin construction on new rides and attractions. My crew had nothing to do with those parts of the park, but all of a sudden, we were REQUIRED to wear hard hats!!  The damned things made my head hurt and I refused to wear one!  They sent me to HR  for discipline.  I explained that my crew never went to parts of the park where there was construction and that the hard hats were unnecessary . I said that I’d leave if I was forced to wear one and that likely most of my crew would leave too.  I told the supervisor that if we had to go to a construction area, we could wear a hard had while we were there, but that they were absolutely worthless inside a finished building in the middle of the night.  

The supervisor agreed and that was the end of it.

The next spring, seventeen out of twenty-two of us left because they ordered us to shave and cut our hair under a new “dress code”. While musicians and entertainment personnel weren’t required to meet the dress code, all other workers had to be clean shaven and men could not have hair touching their collar or over their ears. There were a lot of young men who left rather than go through all that. My hair was nearly waist length and my beard was well past my collarbone. I was hired with long hair and a beard and I haven’t changed in fifty years!    

Probably couldn’t be a ranger ‘cause of that too!!  Might have been different if I’d been allowed to join the military, but they didn’t take me because of an injury, so we’ll never know.

Sometimes ya just need to be the last act of defiance.:ph34r:

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Men's Texas Rangers New Era Royal Game Authentic Collection On-Field Low Profile 59FIFTY Fitted Hat

That’s a cap, not a hat. :)

Always wondered how Chuck Norris as Walker, Texas Ranger got so sloppy in his dress code as a Ranger. Faded jeans Black hat, etc. Yet he was made a honorary Ranger.

When I lived in Waco while attending Baylor, got a chance to meet and see many Rangers. Thay took pride in how they looked and dressed.

1 hour ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Always wondered how Chuck Norris as Walker, Texas Ranger got so sloppy in his dress code as a Ranger. Faded jeans Black hat, etc. Yet he was made a honorary Ranger.

When I lived in Waco while attending Baylor, got a chance to meet and see many Rangers. Thay took pride in how they looked and dressed.

Because regardless of his rather unkept appearance he was good publicity for the Rangers.

Archived