SASS Wire Forum

Best Target Distance

Slippery Stew

As some of you know, I'm Slippery Stew, Life SASS Member, Territorial Governor, Regulator, and Match Director for The Bushwhack, The SC State Championship.
As our shared hobby continues to evolve and change, I'm constantly looking to improve our matches. So I have a simple two question survey for you... follow the link and tell me what the target distances should be.
I'll post the results in a week or two..

Agree with HC. Target size would be helpful. I have some 8" squares, used to be the norm when I started 25 years ago, they'd be challenging at 7 yards. Maybe SASS should mandate target size and distance in order to make SASS sanctioned matches similar at all clubs. 

2 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

I did your survey, but  all depends on target shape and size.

Likewise, answered, but... what I put was for max distance... I normally prefer a variety of sizes and distances...   But, for safety and liability's sake, feel there should be a "NEVER CLOSER THAN" distance that is inviolate.  

From the SASS Match Directors Handbook:

"Revolver targets • Minimum distance is 7 yards; maximum distance is 10 yards. • Minimum pistol target size is 16" x 16".

Shotgun targets • Minimum distance is 8 yards; maximum distance is 16 yards. • Minimum shotgun target size for 8 yards is 8" x 8" (MGM size poppers allowable) • Minimum shotgun target size for over 8 yards is 16" x 16" average.

Rifle targets • Minimum distance is 13 yards; maximum distance is 50 yards. • Minimum rifle target size is 16" x 16".

The sizes and distances listed above are recommendations."

That having been "said", I set all of my pistol targets at 7 yards, rifle at 10 to 15. Shotgun targets 8ish or 9ish yards. All of my targets are either round or square and at least 16" except for my shotgun targets, which are 10"x12" or bigger.. Don't mean I'm right, it just means that's how I do it...

1 hour ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

From the SASS Match Directors Handbook:

"Revolver targets • Minimum distance is 7 yards; maximum distance is 10 yards. • Minimum pistol target size is 16" x 16".

Shotgun targets • Minimum distance is 8 yards; maximum distance is 16 yards. • Minimum shotgun target size for 8 yards is 8" x 8" (MGM size poppers allowable) • Minimum shotgun target size for over 8 yards is 16" x 16" average.

Rifle targets • Minimum distance is 13 yards; maximum distance is 50 yards. • Minimum rifle target size is 16" x 16".

The sizes and distances listed above are recommendations."

That having been "said", I set all of my pistol targets at 7 yards, rifle at 10 to 15. Shotgun targets 8ish or 9ish yards. All of my targets are either round or square and at least 16" except for my shotgun targets, which are 10"x12" or bigger.. Don't mean I'm right, it just means that's how I do it...

Those are recommended distances, not mandated. Mandated distances would make setting up a match much easier and our matches would be more consistent.

37 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Those are recommended distances, not mandated. Mandated distances would make setting up a match much easier and our matches would be more consistent.

Why does the match I'm shooting today have to be just like the match I shot last week and the one I'll be shooting next week?

1 hour ago, Assassin said:

IMO, there is no "best distance".  Variety is nice. 

Doc

When I was a match Director.

16x16 inch plates (I made an effort to dispose, scrap or recycle most everything smaller).

Pistol - 3 to 6 paces (just shy of a yard)

But have had safe and splatterless targets (paper, clay pigeons) as close as 1 ft.

Rifle - 8 to 16 paces (and only out to 16 paces if I was using the rifle targets as downrange movement pistol targets)

Shotgun targets were "generally" our old 12" square plates repurposed as knockdowns - set at 7 to 9 paces

I think entertainment comes from sequences, movement, props, scenarios - not from the difference of a pistol target placed at 5 yards or 8 yards.

And if it's my choice (and fortunately when I was writing them and setting the steel; it was my choice) - closer is funner.

4 hours ago, Assassin said:

Yep. That’s why it says recommended...

I think the targets should be far enough out so that a shooter has to actually aim. I am not a fan of seeing how fast I can empty my gun while targets are close enough to mostly point and shoot. It is SASS though, so whatever... I have my preferences.

16 x 16 minimum size.  Pistols around 5, rifle around 11.  Bigger targets can be moved back a yard or two.  If shooting at an angle, big targets.  Occasionally use a SG knock down as a rifle target, but let it be cleaned up with a shotgun. 

Movement less that 10 yards total.  Targets should not be obstructed.  An occasional slowly moving target is ok.

There are always shooters that want a clean match.  If more that one of those shooters have misses, then it was set it up too hard.

If there is more than one procedural on a stage in a posse, it was set up too hard.

Archived