SASS Wire Forum

Automate my Hornady AP Press

Mountain Man Gramps

After 40 years of swimming and two rotator cuff repairs, reloading sessions are starting to trigger shoulder issues.  I’m thinking about automating my Hornady LnL AP press, particularly motorizing press operation and eliminating the lever. Pulling the lever hundreds of time is the direct cause of shoulder pain but then there’s case, primer and bullet feeding.  For bullet feeding I’m using a Mr. Bullet Feeder with a Bully Mag from www.SoCalSW.com and that works real good. I’m manually loading cases. What experience is out there automating Hornady press operation?  Any good solutions that won’t break the bank?

An electric linear actuator with some Rube Goldberg adapta kit and you are in business.  

But I see this as being as dangerous as putting your hand in the knotter on a hay baler. 

Here is a thread with some good into to consider. Autodrive for Hornady LNL AP

General consensus across many forums is that the Hornady AP is not really suited for an auto drive. 

That said is has been done at least once. No details and I suspect the level of effort required would have paid for a Dillon 1050 with an autodrive.

Thanks everyone for the input.  However one thing missing is any support for the statements made.  Sorry but I'm a engineer...  The only supporting information is in favor of Hornady.  The video shows it can be done.

I have never heard anyone state WHY a Dillon is better than a Hornady.  I never tried a Dillon, but my Hornady works rock solid.  I'd like to hear why someone switched from Hornady to Dillon other than someone said something.  I don't mean this in a harsh way, it's just that I've never heard an objective statement, just opinions.  And unless I heard a good reason, I don't think incurring all the expenses of setting up a new manufacturer's press can be justified.  Again, not striking back, just trying to not spend limited money that in the end may not advance me any further toward my goal.

MMG

I just found this link to the above video's designer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224836005092?hash=item3459452ce4:g:C38AAOSwAs5iBv~r

An advantage to this approach is that while it is necessary to deal with autoloading the components like the primers, bullets, and cases, you have the flexibility to choose what works best for you.  For example, Mr. Bullet Feeder, the Australian 3-D printed case feeder, and whatever primer solution you chose.

MMG

17 minutes ago, Mountain Man Gramps said:

Thanks everyone for the input.  However one thing missing is any support for the statements made.  Sorry but I'm a engineer...  The only supporting information is in favor of Hornady.  The video shows it can be done.

I have never heard anyone state WHY a Dillon is better than a Hornady.  I never tried a Dillon, but my Hornady works rock solid.  I'd like to hear why someone switched from Hornady to Dillon other than someone said something.  I don't mean this in a harsh way, it's just that I've never heard an objective statement, just opinions.  And unless I heard a good reason, I don't think incurring all the expenses of setting up a new manufacturer's press can be justified.  Again, not striking back, just trying to not spend limited money that in the end may not advance me any further toward my goal.

MMG

I don't think it is better or worse, more about how you got where you are now.  Started with a little manual lee loader kit, then got a Rock Chucker, then a CH Pistol Champ, then my wife and folks gave me a Dillon 550 one Christmas.  The Rock Chucker and the Dillon met all my needs so I gave the Pistol Champ to one of the kids.  Haven't needed anything more, so haven't gotten anything more down a bunch of decades.  As long as what I have works for me, no need to experiment with anything else.  Hornady is a fine name - if they'd bought me an equivalent Hornady, I'd probably still be using that.

I don't use a Hornady press but I do have a couple of Dillon 650's.  My experience is that every 100 rounds or so, I will have a case that gets out of alignment and causes a minor jam.  Sometimes a primer won't seat correctly.   I'll feel it when I work the lever and I can stop and fix the minor problem.  With an automated system, I suspect that cases would get crushed, jammed up and cause considerable downtime getting back in operation.  

The reason that people buy a Dillon 1050 vs any other press when it comes to adding an auto-drive is because a 1050 was designed to be automated.

No other press including a Dillon 650 or 750 is designed to be used with an auto-drive. There are a bunch of features unique to a 1050 that all other auto index presses are lacking. AFAIK the 1050 is the only press that seats primer on the upstroke of the ram vice the down stroke. Primer seating does not rely on feel. It is a 100% positive action. Cartridges loaded on a 1050 don't have the occasional high primer.The shell plate has an additional 100% positive mechanical indexing post vice relying solely on a detent ball.

The placing of a case into the shell plate is 1000% more reliable. Notice in the video that the case feeder ram performs two strokes vice the one a standard LnL performs. Mis-feed a case in a press with an autodrive and something is likely to break.

Can it be done? Yes.

Is it easy. Definitely Not.

Will it be reliable? Not likely.

2 hours ago, Mountain Man Gramps said:

I have never heard anyone state WHY a Dillon is better than a Hornady.

Run manually and the differences are subjective. Only a 1050 is designed from the ground up to be used with an auto-drive.

BTW Dillon's no matter what warranty does not apply to the 1050.

Sedalia Dave, thanks for the input.

I checked out the 1050 and took a deep breath - $2400 plus options to load .40SW, .38 spc and .357 mag, my main shooting calibers  And that's before the cost of the automation components!  Now I know the price of the low risk path but it's way over my budget.  From what I've seen so far, just the cost of the 1050 will buy all the automation components I need for the Hornady approach.  My next step will be deeper investigation of automation components.

Thanks everyone for you input.

having had two rotator cuff surgeries on each shoulder and being a poor retired teacher I opted to make an extension for my press's handle.  longer range of travel but reduced Force needed.

just saying there are a number of ways to skin a cat

i dont know what out there for the hornaday , ive only got experience with my handicapped friends poncess - i set it up when he bought the motorized unit and had to come up with a modified actuator so he could operate it [he is a quad] but it worked great - he has loaded thousands of rounds with it , i think you will like it once you get it up and going , 

Archived