SASS Wire Forum

Oral Arguments Set to Begin in Mexico Lawsuit Against U.S. Gun Makers

Charlie T Waite

Oral arguments are set to begin this week in the lawsuit brought against six United States gun makers by the government of Mexico.

On August 4, 2021, Breitbart News reported the government of Mexico was suing six U.S. gun makers and one Boston-area wholesaler, claiming “massive damage” created by “unlawful trafficking” of firearms to cartel and criminal elements.

The Mexican Government’s suit opens with trafficking claims and naming the six manufacturers and the wholesaler:

Plaintiff Estados Unidos Mexicanos (the “Government”), a sovereign nation, brings this action to put an end to the massive damage that the Defendants cause by actively facilitating the unlawful trafficking of their guns to drug cartels and other criminals in Mexico. Almost all guns recovered at crime scenes in Mexico — 70% to 90% of them — were trafficked from the U.S. The Defendants include the six U.S.-based manufacturers whose guns are most often recovered in Mexico — Smith & Wesson, Beretta, Century Arms, Colt, Glock, and Ruger. Another manufacturer defendant is Barrett, whose .50 caliber sniper rifle is a weapon of war prized by the drug cartels. The remaining defendant — Interstate Arms — is a Boston-area wholesaler through which all but one of the defendant manufacturers sell their guns for re-sale to gun dealers throughout the U.S.

On April 12, 2022, the BBC noted that oral arguments in the government of Mexico’s suit will begin this week.

The Mexican Government is seeking a portion of the Defendants’ profits, as well as “damages…in an amount to be determined by trial.”

They also seek to be reimbursed for the “costs of suit, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, as provided by law,” and seek payment for other claims as well.

The case is Mexico v. Smith and Wesson, No. 1:21-cv-11269, in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The stupid runs deep here :angry:

+1

How common is it for a foreign government to sue in a US court and what would be the big picture long term effect be if they won?

Are they also suing the Cartels for damages?

And wide too!! :rolleyes: :angry:

46 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

What do you bet that the Mexicans are getting some help from our government and US anti-gun groups?

LL

I have no doubt. Think fast and furious, sandy hook, etc.

I was flippant when I replied earlier.  Let me see if I can remedy that.

These are the same baseless claims made against gun makers and wholesalers in the US, and should fail in the same way that they went up in smoke in the US  - except that they are even further removed from reality because the guns probably went through two additional layers of criminal conduct - by being sold and transported illegally in Mexico, and then used to commit crimes in Mexico - both actions that did not involve the defendants.  

What a crock.

LL

Archived