SASS Wire Forum

Oldest son is EAT UP with the coin collecting bug. Updated 4-22-22

Elder son just got interested in coin collecting. He knew I have a collection but had never seen it. Anyway, he brought is collection over a couple weeks ago. State quarters in a little book.  So I opened a safe and brought out the ones I keep here. Blew his mind. Never even seen many old coins. His Holy Grail was a Morgan dollar. Never seen one in the flesh. Some years ago I bought a bunch of silver for bullion weight or slightly over. Had a bunch of REALLY nice old coins, but so many were minted that they weren't worth much over melt. Gave him a nice old Morgan. He went bananas looking at all my old coins. None of mine are high dollar numismatic coins, just a bunch of old coins I collected thru the years. Bought some at a coin shop we use to have here, mostly because they were cool and weren't real expensive. Few days later I got the rest of the stuff from the safe deposit box and blew his mind again. I keep some at home and some in the bank.

Anyway, he wanted to take most of it home, look them up in his book, etc. He was like a kid in a candy store. I sold him a bunch of old coins, gave him a few more. This has become sort of a weekly coin collectors club meeting.  He had looked up may of them, put them in the little cardboard holders, had them organized by dates, decades, etc. Last week I decided to give him a crown jewel for his new collection, a 1912 British gold sovereign. He came over earlier and showed me his new book, now just about full. I had a 1959 half and quarter that look like they must have come out of a proof set. He had already bought a near perfect dime from me. Gave him the Franklin and a quarter, gave him a new and an old $2 bill. He'd never seen one of those either.

He is SOOOOOO proud of his collection. Warms the old man's heart. Good to see them find a new home for someone who loves them. He like me, loves them mostly for the history and antiquity and the beauty of old coins. Beats someone selling them at an estate sale after I cash in my chips. He's already claimed the rest of it! Told him he'll have to cut little brother and sis in on some of it, esp. the 1 oz gold coins. I have an American Eagle, a Maple Leaf, a Krugerrand and a Mexican Libertad, and a few smaller ones.

Thought you coin collectors might enjoy the story.

Sus Amigo,

JHC

4 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Introduce him to the American Numismatic Association.  I'm a long-time member, and they have a bunch of correspondence courses with textbooks and videos, etc.  The courses are excellent.

That's been most of the fun he's had with the old coins is researching them. I'll pass it along.

JHC

I got the coin collecting bug when I was still in grade school and branched out into foreign coins later on.Over the years a bought and traded a lot of coins.  After my sophomore year in college I sold the whole package and had enough to pay for a quarter of a year of school and buy a pretty decent MGA 1500 twin cam.

I didn't do so well with stamps.

I have a beat up $5 SS. He'd never seen one of those either. No brown notes though. He discovered those in his research and told me all about them today. In a few weeks he's become a much more knowledgeable collector than I!

JHC

Howdy,

Ive been filling in a Kennedy collection two rolls from the bank at a time.

I leave em as tips and spend like regular change.

If someone is really interested and I have time I show em a Morgan.

Blows their mind that I let em TOUCH it.

Sad to see coins replaced with plastic cards.

Do you think they will have card collections some time years from now.

I want a gold one dollar coin. 

Show people what inflation has done.

Best

CR

Silver coins will do that. :D Morgan dollars seem to hold quite a fascination for many, me included. "Junk" silver, rounds, bars... Older folding money is also addictive. Silver and gold certs especially. Recently I've been watching for the small portrait bills from not so long ago. These are quickly going the way of the dinosaurs. Its always nice to see someone young take an interest in this stuff as it does represent a part of our history and not just more electrons on an applesomethingorother thingie.

Last year I got s 2021 Morgan to go with my 1921. 

13 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

LOL now show him Silver Certificates and Hawaiian marked Bills , No a Big collector here I collect a theme more that one specific item ,  Ie. Old west so yep have Morgans ect 
Now I do have like a million in Iraqi Dinar  or like 12 cents 

And U. S. military "funny money".

Double Eagles and Double Eagles? Double Excellent!:D

Son came by today to give me a little gift for all the coins I gave and/or sold him cheap. For those who may not know a grade of MS 70 is as high as the grading goes.......flawless. Made my allergies act up a might and my eyes water.

JHC :wub:

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

3 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Cool story. Thank you.

JHC

• Capt. James H. Callahan changed the title to Oldest son is EAT UP with the coin collecting bug. Updated 4-22-22
21 hours ago, .44bang said:

For me, the list is endless, but this one leads the group by a wide margin. I got "auction fever." A couple of expert dealers really admired this piece, but I paid way too much. In it's defense, it's graded EF-45, which is 5 points too low in my opinion. I am also told that the fully struck reverse is quite unusual. The Philadelphia Mint almost never struck the reverse of a Type II Gold Dollar this well. 

The mintage is 1,811 pieces with about 75 examples known today. 
564AAE53-062E-4842-AA2E-61E1A7EE1021.thumb.jpeg.53015aaa990ef2b3fb2c25c87164db14.jpeg

Pardon me while I drool. That's just too awesome. Maybe you paid way too much at the time. A few years down the road it may prove to be a steal.

JHC

22 hours ago, .44bang said:

For me, the list is endless, but this one leads the group by a wide margin. I got "auction fever." A couple of expert dealers really admired this piece, but I paid way too much. In it's defense, it's graded EF-45, which is 5 points too low in my opinion. I am also told that the fully struck reverse is quite unusual. The Philadelphia Mint almost never struck the reverse of a Type II Gold Dollar this well. 

The mintage is 1,811 pieces with about 75 examples known today. 
564AAE53-062E-4842-AA2E-61E1A7EE1021.thumb.jpeg.53015aaa990ef2b3fb2c25c87164db14.jpeg

Wonderful - show the scale.  I have my Grandfather's coin scale from days of Gold & Silver. AKA, real Money.

Archived