SASS Wire Forum

What would you do?

Alpo

If you found a wild animal in your house?

There's an online story about a cop in a small town in Georgia. Gets a call one time about a deer in the kitchen. It was a hot day and the lady had left the back door open.

Father Kit posted this picture in the Friday humor thread.

Snip-it_1649944669518.jpg.5ed59d1b6b17fb1de7159d93d867d24a.jpg.a4caffcd946d4d9ae8245a4d1a631526.jpg

A few years ago I read about a family that came home in Georgia and found a coyote on their kitchen counter.

555244483_CoyoteinkitchenNewtonCountyGA.jpg.b37359dc0b133b1126bf209ff4de8fa5.jpg

So what would you do if you found a wild animal in your house?

Had a raccoon take up residency in the garage many years ago and it tried to attack my wife one morning. I shot it and took it down to the county for rabies testing and it tested positive. 

Depends on the critter. Also depends on its current disposition.

:D

• Get a beer
  • Call the county
  • Go outside and sit in the shade
  • Let the people who get paid to take care of such things take care of it. 
  • call the insurance company

By all reports, they don't die easily even if shot properly, and I'm averse to firing a heavy rifle or handgun in the house unless absolutely necessary.  Out here, there are no convenient, if expensive companies to clean up the mess, strictly DIY.

In North Carolina I had a raccoon come in through our doggie door at 4 in the morning as I was packing my lunch for work.

I think he was  surprised as I was. :lol:

He stopped in my dining room and sat up on his hind legs and I said "You had better get out of here Buddy. My dogs will getcha."

Almost as if he understood me he turned  and  waddled  his fat little butt back out the doggie door.

Both my dogs came walking into the kitchen from my bedroom as if they were annoyed that I woke them.

I gave them each a treat and they went back to my room. :lol:

My wife told me later that it seemed they picked up the scent of  the racoon near the door and got real excited about it...3 hours after the event. :D

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

In North Carolina I had a raccoon come in through our doggie door

One year near Christmas in Sonoma County we got up one morning to find all the bowls of nuts scattered all over the floor.  Racoons had eaten all the walnuts as evidenced by the empty shells but didn't eat the pecans, hazelnuts, almonds, or brazil nuts.  They had also pulled all the red ornaments of the bottom foot and a half of the tree.   

A few months later one started coming in and eating the catfood in the kitchen.  Then after a few weeks started bringing in her kits.  While we were watching television.  Couldn't teach them how to make popcorn though.

8 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Shoot it!! 

If a 20' python comes slithering in the doggie door then yes, all bets are off and I'm gonna be out of ammo and I have a lot of ammo.

57 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

If a 20' python comes slithering in the doggie door then yes, all bets are off and I'm gonna be out of ammo and I have a lot of ammo.

Yep, what he said.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Shoot it!! 

It never occurred to me to call animal control. But my last house I shot six squirrels, a raccoon, and two possums.

I don't leave the back door open at this house. :P

I remember Rooster Cogburn blasting a rat in his room in Chen Lee's in True Grit. :D

:ph34r:  Shot a very healthy rat in our laundry room with a Smith model 10 using CCI snake shot.  Thought it would work better than the previous episode which was solved with the end of a 2x4 and resulted in a real mess.  .38 snake shot at 2 feet divides a rat into 2 not-so-distinct pieces......  minor bloodstains on floor, louder than I thought it would be.

My pellet rifle was out of commission and would have been first choice.  Next time......

Visitors "found" a young skunk in our house one evening, when it came bouncing out of the kitchen, into the living room and crawled into my wife's lap for snuggles.

Caused a bit of a stir for a minute before the "Awes" started..

18 hours ago, Alpo said:

If you found a wild animal in your house?

There's an online story about a cop in a small town in Georgia. Gets a call one time about a deer in the kitchen. It was a hot day and the lady had left the back door open.

Father Kit posted this picture in the Friday humor thread.

Snip-it_1649944669518.jpg.5ed59d1b6b17fb1de7159d93d867d24a.jpg.a4caffcd946d4d9ae8245a4d1a631526.jpg

A few years ago I read about a family that came home in Georgia and found a coyote on their kitchen counter.

555244483_CoyoteinkitchenNewtonCountyGA.jpg.b37359dc0b133b1126bf209ff4de8fa5.jpg

So what would you do if you found a wild animal in your house?

It would depend. We have very little problem with seals here. A 'yote......I guess I'd arm myself and try to shoo it out. It better not resist very hard.

JHC

Had ducks in my fireplace smoke chamber twice. Called the game warden!

11 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  Shot a very healthy rat in our laundry room with a Smith model 10 using CCI snake shot.  Thought it would work better than the previous episode which was solved with the end of a 2x4 and resulted in a real mess.  .38 snake shot at 2 feet divides a rat into 2 not-so-distinct pieces......  minor bloodstains on floor, louder than I thought it would be.

My pellet rifle was out of commission and would have been first choice.  Next time......

The wife of a friend shot a rat in the basement of a house they just bought with an 8" S&W N frame.  Have no idea what the mess looked like.  He was LEO, and all of us who were his shooting buddies used to tease him / her about using enough gun for the animal in question. 

If it is a mammal, or a bird of prey, or a snake that you might not want to mess with, you would need to call someone to come get it out of your house, unless leaving the door open will prompt it to go out on its own, perhaps with some encouragement from you.

Also...you have to consider, if it is a mammal, it may have rabies, or ring worm, or heaven knows what. 

I would keep my shotgun handy, in case it decided to charge me, otherwise I'd wait for the authorities to come get it out.  

Having shot a Porcupine near the house with a 12 gauge, and having to clean up the remains to keep the dogs out of it, the only time I would shoot a living thing with a shotgun in the house would be in a matter of life or death.

Never had a wild animal come in the house, but we had a bob cat take up residence in an old doghouse in the back yard. We didn't bother him, and he didn't bother us. Used to enjoy watching him come out in the morning, stretch like a big house cat and then head across the road to hunt for the day. About dark he'd be back to sleep. This went on for a year or two until we moved. Noticed the new owners got rid of that doghouse pretty quick!

In the area I live in, Animal Control won't respond for wild animals.  They only respond for domestic animals, specifically cats and dogs.  Getting a game warden to respond is a miracle.  So most of the time, the home owner, a deputy or a municipal officer ends up handling it.  In my career, I've dealt with dozens of snakes, not a few rats and squirrels, a raccoon or two, and one really mad ground hog.  

Several years ago, we had a run of feral cats living under my storage building. My wife became a master at catching them in two Havahart traps.

We turned in 22 cats that year.  Only one was domestic and was reunited with it's owner.

Horace

Archived