SASS Wire Forum

Ghost gun ban??

Rye Miles #13621

Walter is once again overstepping his authority.  The courts will likely slap him back onto his side of the line!!

And once again, not a single mention of punishing criminals.

How much crime is actually committed with these so called ghost guns? Also, I haven't paid attention to this, but are they actually sold as a complete kit, or is it like 80% AR15 lowers- just a frame?

15 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

And once again, not a single mention of punishing criminals.

How much crime is actually committed with these so called ghost guns? Also, I haven't paid attention to this, but are they actually sold as a complete kit, or is it like 80% AR15 lowers- just a frame?

The P-80’s are sold as a frame with a jig and drill bits.  Some retailers are combining all the parts together for the buyer in one shipment. Atf has raided one such retailer.   They usually are more expensive than buying a complete gun and can be difficult to get to run right.  
now with the proliferation of 3d printers, it’s easy to print the frame for a polymer gun.   The genie is out of the bottle and won’t go back in on that one.  Unless parts are serialized there is no way to track a home built firearm.  Can just as easily part out a gun with a serial number and put it in 3d printed parts.  Then no serial number.  

I have yet to figure out how having a S/N makes a gun more deadly or makes crime easier to solve.  Most firearms used in crimes are stolen.  So, what, a gun is dropped at the scene and you go after the guy from whom it was stolen?  A thug is caught with a "ghost gun" but they can't figure out that it belonged to him?  

My neighbor made two , a rifle and a pistol. He has a drill press and a router. He said it took him about 4-5 hours on each one. He’s a really handy guy!

it would have taken me 4-5 months!!

37 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My neighbor made two , a rifle and a pistol. He has a drill press and a router. He said it took him about 4-5 hours on each one. He’s a really handy guy!

it would have taken me 4-5 months!!

Did he make them from a billet or from an 80% lower?   There are plans out there for a bolt together AR receiver.  It would take a lot of finesse, but you could do it with a drill press and a router using endmills.    

That 4 - 5 months - is that mostly waiting for your Roundtuit to arrive?  I hear that there is a huge shortage of Roundtuits.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I have yet to figure out how having a S/N makes a gun more deadly or makes crime easier to solve.  Most firearms used in crimes are stolen.  So, what, a gun is dropped at the scene and you go after the guy from whom it was stolen?  A thug is caught with a "ghost gun" but they can't figure out that it belonged to him?  

It’s all about registration.  Making every gun transaction go through a 4473, so they can scan them in and make a database of who owns what.   Why else would you require 20 year old purchase records to be turned over to the atf.  

as you state, having a serial number does nothing at a crime scene unless you already have the gun in your possession.   Even then it only shows who first bought it unless it’s in a state that requires background checks.  

Read things a bit closer ya'll - especially the part about serial numbers - according to a few experts, his EO makes all the old guns made prior to a SN being required as a banned object.  I won't say illegal as it does require both houses & a POTUS signature for it to be a law - but we all know how they work so......

Charlie

Archived