SASS Wire Forum

Small pistol primer survey

Tell Sackett SASS 18436

6 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Fortunately son #2 (Iron Cowboy) is easily eligible for both the Zell and Hope scholarship, which in Georgia covers tuition and fees although you have to remain qualified every year. That leaves room, board, books, who knows what else. I don't mind chipping in part of that. 

Tuition not covered by scholarship: $3000 per semester, plus $300 for books

Rent when not in dorm $600 per month, $100 per week for food, beer, and gas

Budget about $1000 a month.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am all set on primers, but if you run across any percussion caps....  :D

I have heard a couple shooters mention they were almost out and were glad Tell had some for sale.  If push come to shove, I would probably sell a gun to pay for primers just so I could keep shooting Cowboy.

Totes

16 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

I am all set on primers, but if you run across any percussion caps....  :D

I have heard a couple shooters mention they were almost out and were glad Tell had some for sale.  If push come to shove, I would probably sell a gun to pay for primers just so I could keep shooting Cowboy.

Totes

Somewhere, and some time ago I saw an article about making your own percussion caps. Wasn't particularly complicated or dangerous used beer cans. Probably still out there somewhere.  Got rid of my percussion guns since, so no need here.

7 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

When primers became hard to find last time I was the local guy that helped folks out. On the second go round I started doing the same thing. Spent over 3 thousand watching for and buying primers at these ridiculous prices just to help folks out. Seemed like the same hard luck cases always had their hand out. I've never taken a penny for SPP primers.  I gave them all away. I'm done. 

Whoa!!

You're more generous than I am!

There are, it seems, those spoil sports whom just have to have their Silver Spoon.  Ok.

WELL.  BYE!!  (stolen famous movie line)

Bucket Test:  Fill a 5 gallon Home Depot or Lowes bucket with water.  Stick yer hand in.  Snatch yer hand out.  Measure the hole you leave to see how much you'll be missed.

2 hours ago, T-Square said:

Tuition not covered by scholarship: $3000 per semester, plus $300 for books

Rent when not in dorm $600 per month, $100 per week for food, beer, and gas

Budget about $1000 a month.

The tuition is covered by Hope but the dozen add on fees and books aren't covered.  $1,000 extra a month is about what it was costing me 10 years ago.  I'm thinking that's cheap now.  I paid $100 a semester for a football team that didn't even exist until after my son graduated.  That one still irritates me.

Will I stop shooting , because of the lowest priced  component is Higher, No Thats like loosing a tooth and saying you wont eat ever again . While I dont shoot competitive anymore (or at least right now ) time and being busy .One of My few things I do by myself to get away is load up and spend the day in the hills shooting. Little cowboy and little tactical . Will I stop spending a few bucks more no . 
  Ammo has never been a issue of mine , ever price 458 Socom LOL ? 

Now if you have Colts and looking to get out of it let me know I will keep them warm .:) 

1 hour ago, Totes Magoats said:

Curious…

If primers returned to $40/1K and your local clubs raised their match fees by $8, would you quit shooting cowboy matches?

Totes

If the cost of shooting doubles I reckon many will only shoot 1/2 as much.

Some have not shot in a couple years, some have cut back to shooting once a month. Myself, I have plenty of components, I'm set for years. I'm just burned out. 

I'm not happy about the prices but I will pay as needed to shoot just like last time.  If Tell was closer, I would buy from him and not quibble, especially if I needed supplies.  I shot thousands of Wolf primers before with no issues until I could get my first choice.

When SASS raised the dues, people quit.  Some people can't afford the extra cost for any number of reasons and they will quit.  Some are just looking for a reason to quit.  

If I quit, it won't be because of components.

11 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

Curious…

If primers returned to $40/1K and your local clubs raised their match fees by $8, would you quit shooting cowboy matches?

Totes

Frankly, it more about the price gouging going on!  I don't have any problems with paying a fair price for something, but many of us don't like being taken advantage of and that seems to be the name of the game.  Adios.

22 minutes ago, Bison Bud said:
11 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

Frankly, it more about the price gouging going on!

I am genuinely curious if land owners needed to increase match fees to cover the additional cost of fuel for mowing, water, electricity, taxes, etc, would we have the same reaction?  The extra $8 a match is the line in the sand?

I would not blame a club if they had to raise prices, in the 6 or so years I have been playing this game, I have only seen 1 club raise their monthly fees. 

Totes

12 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

I am genuinely curious if land owners needed to increase match fees to cover the additional cost of fuel for mowing, water, electricity, taxes, etc, would we have the same reaction?  The extra $8 a match is the line in the sand?

I would not blame a club if they had to raise prices, in the 6 or so years I have been playing this game, I have only seen 1 club raise their monthly fees. 
Totes

I can only speak for myself... while I hate the rising cost of everything... I certainly can understand the need for doing so... and would not quibble over small, incremental increases...  In fact, in the 30+ years our club has been around, we've raised our fees exactly ONE time... mainly in support of buying better targets... 

My thought is that the time is ripe for a new manufacturer to come online. Back in the day, a wee bit farther back than my day, CCI, Speer, Hornady, Hodgdon and a few more saw the opportunity to begin marketing components for the firearms enthusiasts. 

Not one of the founding fathers ever said or thought that our 2nd Amendment right would not come at some expense.  The biggest previous jump in prices occurred in the 70s. The energy crunch and Hazmat have taken their toll. 

I am OK for this year, was still able to replenish a few months ago. I try and have about a years supply on hand, I don't shoot that much, usually a brick or two of each of the common primers will last me a year. What gets me is that when I need to change my load, I never know which primer will be the best. I may not run out of powders or primers, but I will run out of the ones I use more often. I was using a bunch of Trail Boss, and the best primer for that was either a Federal or a CCI. Some of my alternate loads need a Winchester or even a Remington. 

The point is, i can't be alone in my approach, I'm willing to swap or trade. But with the uncertainty that exists, I hesitate to sell off stock. 

In Canada we've been paying 60 to 70 CAD per 1000 anyways, now it's more, but the biggest hit has been transportation. The main players have become woke and refuse to ship anything related to the firearms industry, and that is probably another business opportunity. 

IMO bootleg primers and powder is the new moonshine. 

BB

23 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

After the Obama shortages most everyone around here "stocked up".

I was going to sell primers for my cost. Then I thought , wait if I replace them then I'm paying the inflated/ripoff price.

So I gave primers to some club members and they agreed to replace them when they could. I win, they win.

I've done that. So far no replacements have come in.

1 hour ago, Totes Magoats said:

Totes

I haven't stopped going to close matches. To answer your question, if they raised the match fees by $8.00, it wouldn't stop me from going as I know that the increase is going for covering additional costs. The additional plus is that it is going locally, in support of the club/gun range and is not going to support some corporate margin or greedy retailer.

19 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

I've done that. So far no replacements have come in.

And that's sad because although steep prices, components have been available here and there.  

11 hours ago, Assassin said:

If the cost of shooting doubles I reckon many will only shoot 1/2 as much.

Some have not shot in a couple years, some have cut back to shooting once a month. Myself, I have plenty of components, I'm set for years. I'm just burned out. 

Working 3 jobs???

I’m not surprised!!!

Shooting is what I do to get away from the job!

It took me most of my life to find this hobby.

Best hobby ever

Been doing it now for 20+ years & don't plan to stop, even if component prices are high.

If I need to, I'll meander down Houston-way & give Tell Sackett some business.
Thank you, sir, for your generosity.

--Dawg

Sure. When I started reloading I would just buy 1 or 2 thousand primers at a time because I could always walk in and buy more for a similar price. Eventually I figured out it was cheaper to buy a couple of 5000 primer cases (or more) to split up the shipping and hazmat.

The first time I encountered component shortages and at that time only slightly higher prices, I learned my lesson. I learned to stock up. I haven't had to pay these prices and won't have to unless it stretches out for years. Bullets have gone up a little but nothing like primers have.

I understand that new shooters weren't able to stock up because they're new and were unaware. But many here have been through this multiple times although the primer costs are beyond anything we've seen before.

Thing you have to remember is nobody said they can’t afford it. I just don’t like getting gouged. For instance, just yesterday a pard sent me a pic from Scheels in Missouri and showed they had Federal small pistol primers for $75 per thousand, no limit, and they had a bunch. The pard bought 12k. So whoever is paying $143 per k is getting gouged to start with even if he is selling to other cowboys without making any money from them. I commend him for trying to help, but I won’t have any part of that nonsense. 

7 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Funny, you don’t LOOK Jewish!:rolleyes:

12th tribe... Scottish!

1 hour ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Thing you have to remember is nobody said they can’t afford it. I just don’t like getting gouged. For instance, just yesterday a pard sent me a pic from Scheels in Missouri and showed they had Federal small pistol primers for $75 per thousand, no limit, and they had a bunch. The pard bought 12k. So whoever is paying $143 per k is getting gouged to start with even if he is selling to other cowboys without making any money from them. I commend him for trying to help, but I won’t have any part of that nonsense. 

Curious where you found these primers? I googled Sheels and searched the site and no primers to be found.

Double checked and couldn't find a location Missouri at all.

I got enough primers of all sizes to last me the rest of my life.  But they ain't gonna make me happy unless my buddies have enough for us to shoot a match or two.  

14 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Some people will only want to replace them if they get down to $30-$40 tops. 

Unfortunately, this is true.  

On 4/15/2022 at 11:45 AM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

$60 more per thousand, 6 thousand per year, that's $360 extra per year for me to shoot every weekend.  Oh, the horror!  I think I'll keep shooting.  

Tell, I popped a couple of those Ginex SRP'S I just got from you in my match rifle and backup rifle.  The dent in each is similar to the dent in the CCI SRP's I recently bought.  I loaded one box of ammo with the Ginex and will shoot it Saturday and report back.  Not worried about the pistols, they hit the CCI's harder than the rifle.  Along with the 5K CCI SRP's I recently bought, I'm good for another year so won't need more, but it's good to know the Ginex are usable.  

Okay, I shot the Ginex small rifle primers in the match yesterday.  I had a light strike in the rifle on first stage so tightened the hammer spring strain screw 1/8 of a turn.  Another on the 2nd stage, so tightened it another 1/8 turn and all went bang after that.  In the pistols (Uberti conversions with spring kits) there was one light strike on the first stage that fired on the second time around.  No more light strikes in the pistols, but they must be "close to the edge".  Most of my pistols have a washer under the lightened main spring.  I will remove the washer for more reliability with these primers.

Archived