SASS Wire Forum

Favorite 45-70 load

Tennessee williams

I used 4198 and my friend used Trailboss.    Both good     I had a little more velocity    GW

4198 works, but is a shoulder buster. I’ve never loaded a round of anything with Trailboss, but I’ve seen it work with 45-70. People giggle because it will take about 2 minutes to cover that 200 yds :D

my favorite 45-70 load for 405 cast bullets is 14.2 Unique. 

TN is the proud owner of a new rifle..... a Winchester 1885  Hi-Wall in 45-70.

I ask him where he got the $$$ to buy such a rifle and he said he's been saving it up

and keeping it in a secret place that his Bunkhouse Boss would never find.

I ask what kinda place is that.   TN sez....... "The Oven".

He keeps his extra gun money in the oven cause she never uses it...... :lol:

Hey, this is a true story.  A feller just can't make this stuff up.

..........Widder

Mine was about 68gr of 2F, dropped over 6 seconds through a 3 foot brass tube.  Then compressed with a compression die with a wad made from a plastic milk jug.  And a 525gr pill seated to a depth that would just engage the rifling.

That may not be quite what you're looking for though.

22 grains of XMP 5744 with a 405 gr bullet

I shoot my Pedersoli 1886 with shaver sights with 34gr of AR2207 (H4198) with a 405gr pill. 

Its a big heavy rifle and handles the push just fine.

At a range shoot I lucked into a 78 out of 100 at 300M.

24 gr. Of 5744 behind a Lazer cast 405 gr. bullet for my 1886 Winchester, deadly accurate out to 400 yards. I bet your Hi Wall would love it!

23 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

24 gr. Of 5744 behind a Lazer cast 405 gr. bullet for my 1886 Winchester, deadly accurate out to 400 yards. I bet your Hi Wall would love it!

I've seen SCJ's accuracy at distances. He ain't lyin' when he says deadly. This is the 45-70 load I'm trying. :D

8 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

405 grain LFN bullet over 13 grains of Trail Boss lets me reach out to 200 yards with my Marlin 1895CB.

I have quite a few of these exact loads.  Very mild on the shoulder, very pleasant to shoot. I'm just not certain as to their effective longer range AND I hate to use up these great TB loads now trying to figger it out. I'd feel fine using these on deer within 100 yards though.

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I have quite a few of these exact loads.  Very mild on the shoulder, very pleasant to shoot. I'm just not certain as to their effective longer range AND I hate to use up these great TB loads now trying to figger it out. I'd feel fine using these on deer within 100 yards though.

I don't do very much hunting.

5 minutes ago, .44bang said:
Remington 405 JSP, Win LR primer, 46 Gr. IMR 3031 for outstanding accuracy at all ranges.

What club allows the use of a jacketed bullet??

i appreciate the input here - these days powders are few and far between i have been looking for options , this helps , 

on another site i was told 13 grn red dot but ive not seen anything to confirm this so im reluctant to try it or suggest its an optional powder , but if anyone has experience id like to know , there are a lot of options in powder but not a lot on the shelves these days , i have some of a couple pf the above but id like another option if thats possible - one i have a lot of , 

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

i appreciate the input here - these days powders are few and far between i have been looking for options , this helps , 

on another site i was told 13 grn red dot but ive not seen anything to confirm this so im reluctant to try it or suggest its an optional powder , but if anyone has experience id like to know , there are a lot of options in powder but not a lot on the shelves these days , i have some of a couple pf the above but id like another option if thats possible - one i have a lot of , 

Ed Harris came up with "The Load" many years ago, consisting of 13.0 grains of Red Dot, and used it in just about every standard rifle cartridge/lead bullet combination around.

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris/articles/The Load.htm

23.5 grains of 5744 under the 325 gr bullet cast in a RCBS mold, #45-325-FN-U, outta my 1886.  

I shouldn't tell this, but TN Williams and I have a pair of Marlin 1895 COWBOY's  in .45-70 which we plan to compete with in future months.

Plus, TN has a couple other 45-70's he'll probably dust off and shoot a little.

All this info posted above will help us greatly.   THANKS, everyone!

..........Widder

19 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I shouldn't tell this, but TN Williams and I have a pair of Marlin 1895 COWBOY's  in .45-70 which we plan to compete with in future months.

Plus, TN has a couple other 45-70's he'll probably dust off and shoot a little.

All this info posted above will help us greatly.   THANKS, everyone!

..........Widder

If you're going to stretch the range out, put a decent sight set on 'em. I've got MVA on my 1895 and Lee Shaver on a couple of Sharp's. ;) Still waiting on another MVA for my Chiappa Little Sharps .22 - 9 1/2 weeks and counting... a year and a half ago, this one only took 3 weeks, 3 days... maybe I should shoot them an email.

1895.jpg

Archived