Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Favorite 45-70 load


Recommended Posts

I used 4198 and my friend used Trailboss.    Both good     I had a little more velocity    GW

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Twelve grains of TB will work a treat for you. That's my load.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4198 works, but is a shoulder buster. I’ve never loaded a round of anything with Trailboss, but I’ve seen it work with 45-70. People giggle because it will take about 2 minutes to cover that 200 yds :D

my favorite 45-70 load for 405 cast bullets is 14.2 Unique. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TN is the proud owner of a new rifle..... a Winchester 1885  Hi-Wall in 45-70.

 

I ask him where he got the $$$ to buy such a rifle and he said he's been saving it up

and keeping it in a secret place that his Bunkhouse Boss would never find.

 

I ask what kinda place is that.   TN sez....... "The Oven".

 

He keeps his extra gun money in the oven cause she never uses it...... :lol:

 

Hey, this is a true story.  A feller just can't make this stuff up.

 

..........Widder

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine was about 68gr of 2F, dropped over 6 seconds through a 3 foot brass tube.  Then compressed with a compression die with a wad made from a plastic milk jug.  And a 525gr pill seated to a depth that would just engage the rifling.

 

That may not be quite what you're looking for though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I settled on 13.2 Unique/405 for short ranges like you mention, it's very accurate and brings home the wood. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

405 grain LFN bullet over 13 grains of Trail Boss lets me reach out to 200 yards with my Marlin 1895CB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 22 grains of XMP 5744 with a 405 gr bullet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shoot my Pedersoli 1886 with shaver sights with 34gr of AR2207 (H4198) with a 405gr pill. 

 

Its a big heavy rifle and handles the push just fine.

 

At a range shoot I lucked into a 78 out of 100 at 300M.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

405 grain LFN bullet over 13 grains of Trail Boss lets me reach out to 200 yards with my Marlin 1895CB.

 

That works for me!

Blackfoot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 gr. Of 5744 behind a Lazer cast 405 gr. bullet for my 1886 Winchester, deadly accurate out to 400 yards. I bet your Hi Wall would love it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

24 gr. Of 5744 behind a Lazer cast 405 gr. bullet for my 1886 Winchester, deadly accurate out to 400 yards. I bet your Hi Wall would love it!

 

I've seen SCJ's accuracy at distances. He ain't lyin' when he says deadly. This is the 45-70 load I'm trying. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

405 grain LFN bullet over 13 grains of Trail Boss lets me reach out to 200 yards with my Marlin 1895CB.

 

I have quite a few of these exact loads.  Very mild on the shoulder, very pleasant to shoot. I'm just not certain as to their effective longer range AND I hate to use up these great TB loads now trying to figger it out. I'd feel fine using these on deer within 100 yards though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

 

I have quite a few of these exact loads.  Very mild on the shoulder, very pleasant to shoot. I'm just not certain as to their effective longer range AND I hate to use up these great TB loads now trying to figger it out. I'd feel fine using these on deer within 100 yards though.

I don't do very much hunting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, .44bang said:
Remington 405 JSP, Win LR primer, 46 Gr. IMR 3031 for outstanding accuracy at all ranges.

What club allows the use of a jacketed bullet??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i appreciate the input here - these days powders are few and far between i have been looking for options , this helps , 

 

on another site i was told 13 grn red dot but ive not seen anything to confirm this so im reluctant to try it or suggest its an optional powder , but if anyone has experience id like to know , there are a lot of options in powder but not a lot on the shelves these days , i have some of a couple pf the above but id like another option if thats possible - one i have a lot of , 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

i appreciate the input here - these days powders are few and far between i have been looking for options , this helps , 

 

on another site i was told 13 grn red dot but ive not seen anything to confirm this so im reluctant to try it or suggest its an optional powder , but if anyone has experience id like to know , there are a lot of options in powder but not a lot on the shelves these days , i have some of a couple pf the above but id like another option if thats possible - one i have a lot of , 

Ed Harris came up with "The Load" many years ago, consisting of 13.0 grains of Red Dot, and used it in just about every standard rifle cartridge/lead bullet combination around.

 

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris/articles/The Load.htm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23.5 grains of 5744 under the 325 gr bullet cast in a RCBS mold, #45-325-FN-U, outta my 1886.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My old standby powder was IMR SR-4759 which was discontinued a while back. I have a bit left, but will be trying Accurate 5744 and shooters world buffalo as replacements. All three of them are bulky extruded powders with very similar burn rate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shouldn't tell this, but TN Williams and I have a pair of Marlin 1895 COWBOY's  in .45-70 which we plan to compete with in future months.

Plus, TN has a couple other 45-70's he'll probably dust off and shoot a little.

 

All this info posted above will help us greatly.   THANKS, everyone!

 

..........Widder

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I shouldn't tell this, but TN Williams and I have a pair of Marlin 1895 COWBOY's  in .45-70 which we plan to compete with in future months.

Plus, TN has a couple other 45-70's he'll probably dust off and shoot a little.

 

All this info posted above will help us greatly.   THANKS, everyone!

 

..........Widder

 

 

 

If you're going to stretch the range out, put a decent sight set on 'em. I've got MVA on my 1895 and Lee Shaver on a couple of Sharp's. ;) Still waiting on another MVA for my Chiappa Little Sharps .22 - 9 1/2 weeks and counting... a year and a half ago, this one only took 3 weeks, 3 days... maybe I should shoot them an email.

1895.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.