SASS Wire Forum

Mule/Horse stands

Long Fingers, SASS#56813

I like your design for cosmetic but I personally prefer them made with flat "table tops".  Nothing real wide, just wide enough to down one or possibly two long guns.  IMO, more individual are comfortable with a flat top as that is what they probably see more often.  I have grown to not fear those as pictured but in my early days I did somewhat dread them as I just was not accustom to them at home ranges.

Also with flat surface one does not have to inquire as to shotgun preferences (left/right side) before shooter stages long gun.

The reason some folks profess a preference for a "flat" table like surface, is because they don't have to "think" or exercise care when setting the long gun down.  The stands as shown are actually superb.  Having to decide which side to put the "saddle" for the double guns is no biggie in all actuality.

Just my humble Opine

Forgot the original question.  It would be nifty neato to paint the "horse" stand up to look like a Zebra :)

23 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

I like your design for cosmetic but I personally prefer them made with flat "table tops".  Nothing real wide, just wide enough to down one or possibly two long guns.  IMO, more individual are comfortable with a flat top as that is what they probably see more often.  I have grown to not fear those as pictured but in my early days I did somewhat dread them as I just was not accustom to them at home ranges.

Also with flat surface one does not have to inquire as to shotgun preferences (left/right side) before shooter stages long gun.

Billy, variety is the spice of life, a bit of both works well.:wub:  don't you think?:D

2 hours ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

Billy, variety is the spice of life, a bit of both works well.:wub:  don't you think?:D

you bet.  C U two in October.

I liked them when the first came out.  Add lost of character.

So they were very popular for several years.

Then I went to a fun night shoot and discovered the problem others mentioned.

I was shooting a carbine, when I went to restage, the rifle never stopped going down. I had glanced down as usual when restaging, but didn't watch it go after feeling one end touch.  Fortunately I keep my hand on it but then saw that the butt was supported but with the shorter barrel had no support.  Quite a shock in the middle of a stage.

This happened enough around the country that most modified the "animals" to put a table top on them which supported more that merely two points speared.

Not quite as much character but definitely safer and reduced the number and probability of major penalties.

Long Fingers,

I made some, made the ears on one to look more like a mule, long and up. Mule was gray with white muzzle and feet, Horse was a painted pony, pinto, white and ginger. The ginger was on the body going in to the legs also. If you want to Email me at robatmine@comcast.net with the help of my wife I may be able to send you some Pics. not a puter guy.

Rob  

10 hours ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Still looking for paint ideas LongFingers?? Thread  kinda got off topic huh?

Maybe an Appaloosa horse?

Paint ideas was what I was looking for but that’s okay.  Threads tend to wander sometimes. 
For those that mentioned not liking the cut outs or saddled for the SXS I don’t either. Had already planned to mount a table top to the horse and mule. 
Thanks, LF. 

Archived