SASS Wire Forum

1897 Barrel Replacement??

Rancho Roy

A friend asked me to help with fitting a replacement barrel onto a 1897 action. He bought a barrel assembly off an auction site. I tried all the typical adjustment with the indexing of the interrupted threaded breach of the new barrel. Before the barrel indexes properly, I run out of "teeth" on the rotating extension.No matter what I do it will not index enough before the breech face of the barrel hits the internal face of the receiver. Verified with Dycan marking fluid. 

Is it customary to face off the breech face of the barrel to mate the two? It looks like a thou off the barrel would do the trick. The shell headspaces off the internal ring in the receiver so there is no issue with moving headspace.

Any suggestions are appreciated...

I was told by a old gunsmith that there are different size adjusting sleeves . I never seen one I had that problem with a model 12 once . never with a 97

Talking to a friend who has a book about 97's he mentioned there are several different sleeves but had no reference to their sizes.   A quick look thru Numerich and Classic old West they only show a single offering.   Several places offer a brass shim to compensate for wear, but nothing about too tight.   Surprising some of our more smarter people havn't jumped in     GW

The sleeves come in a kit, There is a procedure for setting the up, not complicated, but it has a few steps. 

http://www.nulineguns.com/part_part_2046_3_31_42.php

I got a handful of sleeves in a parts buy, was able to use one, perhaps a #5 or #6. They are numbered; B-A-B-1-2-3-4-5-6.

Read all the instructions, like most things 1897 the parts all work together. Back in the day gunsmiths regularly replaced barrels, today, from the guns I've bought, very few people even know how a 97 works. I like learning, the parts I bought came with the fixture to remove barrels. The correct way doesn't use a pipe wrench and a vice.  for practice I removed a barrel and put it back one without screwing anything up. 

BB

2 hours ago, "Big Boston" said:

The sleeves come in a kit, There is a procedure for setting the up, not complicated, but it has a few steps. 

http://www.nulineguns.com/part_part_2046_3_31_42.php

I got a handful of sleeves in a parts buy, was able to use one, perhaps a #5 or #6. They are numbered; B-A-B-1-2-3-4-5-6.

Read all the instructions, like most things 1897 the parts all work together. Back in the day gunsmiths regularly replaced barrels, today, from the guns I've bought, very few people even know how a 97 works. I like learning, the parts I bought came with the fixture to remove barrels. The correct way doesn't use a pipe wrench and a vice.  for practice I removed a barrel and put it back one without screwing anything up. 

BB

What Big Boston says, plus.

What did you get yourself into now Roy?! Howdy and say "Hi" to Reno.

Eyesa & Ellie

Archived