SASS Wire Forum

Norinco/IAC Mag Tube Action Slide Stop Broke Loose- worth fixin’?

Not Dead Ed

I have a nice Norinco/ IAC 97 that at a Women On Target event (we had a bunch of us demonstrating and have the new women shooters trying out Cowboy Action. They had a blast) had the action slide pull loose from the hook while the bolt was back, but the cartridge guide was only halfway down and all locked up… 
After noodling and puzzling and taking things apart and together a billion times and dealing with all those 97 parts, 

I finally realized that the action slide is now stopping in a new and different place than it used to.  
Pulling the action slide from the mag tube, I can see that the slide stop has finally pounded the 4 spot welds Norinco did around the stop collar loose, and based on the drag marks on the tube, the action slide has hammered the collar forward.  
I’ve ordered a replacement from Numrich (a Chinese copy to match I hope), but my question to everyone is;

Is it worth trying to get the old mag tube fixed as a spare? 
and 

who can beat it back into place and either braze or reweld it once again.  
since we are hard on our 97’s it’d be good to have, since it’ll probably happen to the spare (now active) one I also have.  
thanks all!  

Surprised you found a replacement.    I would try and fix.  Not a lot of spares around      GW

Reattaching the slide stop on the mag tube is an easy fix.  Remove it, find the original placement to mark, drill 4 holes out in the stop and silver solder in place again.  It is one of the common fixes on a 97'.  I have done many.  Good luck

5 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Fix it, then you have a spare.

Yep, I’ll need to.   Now to just whack it back in place.  And get some silver solder.  

If the serial number starts with the year code of 06 or later, I would fix it.  04 - maybe, depending upon if it's been a good gun for you.  Earlier than that, I'd not mess with it.

For fixing it, close to you -

Try Lassiter in Ohio

or Ahlman's in Minnesota (Coyote Cap's family shop).

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

If the serial number starts with the year code of 06 or later, I would fix it.  04 - maybe, depending upon if it's been a good gun for you.  Earlier than that, I'd not mess with it.

For fixing it, close to you -

Try Lassiter in Ohio

or Ahlman's in Minnesota (Coyote Cap's family shop).

good luck, GJ

Looking at the history on Norinco IAC 97’s (from the wires) although not a 06 or later, it is a model with most all of Cap’s improvements, real nice walnut and everything locks up tight (no drooping) and ran smooth until the collar shifted.  
it’ll get fixed up.  I’ve got a friend’s son who just moved outta Buckaroo who’s been shooting it all last season.  
It ran better than my other ‘97.   Not as nice as the real Winchester I bought from @evil dogooder, but close….  

Could it have a CB prefix?  That is the last of the IACs imported and has great reputation for being solid.   I like mine a lot.  Real American walnut makes it much more desirable and usually a quality build.

good luck, GJ

6 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Could it have a CB prefix?  That is the last of the IACs imported and has great reputation for being solid.   I like mine a lot.  Real American walnut makes it much more desirable and usually a quality build.

good luck, GJ

I’ll look, it definitely is a quality gun.   I got the collar back in place and once there, everything runs flawlessly again.  Now I just need some better drill bits to get through the hardened steel collar and Amazon to deliver the silver solder and the mini torch.   It’ll be ready to shoot early next week.   

Thank you everyone for the help and advice.   The collar is back in place. I proved the action works, and I’m waiting for Amazon to get my torch and silver solder (I always wanted a mini torch!). I need some carbide tipped drill bits to finish the holes to solder the collar back in place.   I was quite surprised to find the collar was hardened steel judging by the lovely  screeeeee sounds the bit is making as I burned up a bunch of titanium coated ones even with machining oil.   
It’ll need some file and emery cleanup, degrease, and reblue and it’ll be good as new.  
I expect it’ll be ready to shoot early next week. 

44 minutes ago, Three Gun Cole said:

Guessing Lassiter in Ohio could fix it.

he has repaired many 97’s for me 

Got it all fixed.  A bit of silver solder, clean up with a file, quick cold blue, and it’s running just like before.   

Archived