SASS Wire Forum

CZ Hammer Coach Brake In? Updated!

Cahawbakid

I ran across this yesterday at the toy store and could not help myself.

It’s a great looking gun but it’s STIFF.

Is there any tricks to break in for a CZ hammer coach.

I’m not really interested in a full action job, just a little easier opening.

01815D63-C6FD-455D-B5CE-4BE15ED40629.jpeg

79B8CD99-87B4-412A-A47D-46DF1AF0847C.jpeg

They are horrible off the shelf but once worked on, great.  You may not want a full job done but can get some good springs from Shotgun Boogie.  Oh yeah, mine are not the hammered ones.  Once you get it how you like it you will likely love it.

If you are referring to opening it, I used lapping compound and some prudent filing. It opens easy now. 
cocking it is another story. I had Johnny Meadows do an action job which made it better but it still takes moderate effort to cock the hammers. Before, it took extreme effort. 

I got a CZ hammerless coachgun about three weeks ago and when I tried to open it I thought it was welded shut or there was a trick to opening it.   Sent it to Longhunter and he did his work on it.   Easier to open but it still requires a bit of muscle. Maybe with time and use.  
i recently got a Pietta Hammer Coach  and it takes some effort as well.    

Indian Jack, I found after about a thousand rounds my hammerless was much better.  My first and third one came from Long Hunter and he does do a great job but he does not take it to “the edge” cause he knows  overtime they will break n nicely.

I have lost a bit of strength as have I aged, but I don't believe I could ever have done a one hand double hammer sweep cock on the CZ, and I was pretty muscled up.  On the other hand, it is important to me that firearms work every single time, I believe this one will.  May have to see if I can get my old '97 back.  The CZ is a very attractive and well made gun and I'll likely keep it.  

• Cahawbakid changed the title to CZ Hammer Coach Brake In? Updated!

I took the new CZ to the range today and shot 25 High Brass  RP Bruisers from about 1968. That and a little  Red grease  on the hinge seems to have done wonders for opening of the thing. 

5 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

The vagaries of the skilled Turkish craftsmen?

Probably and most likely. Daughter in law (petite) competed in a match using it for the first time on Saturday and after some instruction also had no problem using off hand to cock both hammers.

Still pretty tight though to break open, but getting smoother.

Here's one up for auction at one of my favorite Auction sites.
I have one with the 30" barrels and choke tubes, like this one.

Nice modern-steel hunting gun, for those of us who love black powder & hammer doubles.
These guys are straight-shooters.

I have bought several guns from them and sold several guns through them -- good guys!

https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/lots/view/1-5RA4MK/cz-hammer-classic-12-ga-side-by-side-hammer-shotgun-30-barrels-hard-case-turkey

--Dawg

On 4/15/2022 at 9:30 AM, Buckshot Bear said:

Mines about 2-3 months old and had a fair few shells through it now, still a little tight but a lot better.....hammers have always been easy to cock with the palm of my off hand.

What are they worth in Australia nowadays? They do look purdy.

1 minute ago, Orient Express said:

What are they worth in Australia nowadays? They do look purdy.

I bought mine here -

https://usedguns.com.au/dealer-ads/?dealer=YnVzdGVyZ2lnZ3NAYmlncG9uZC5jb20=&id_=MzI2MzI3

That shoot that we met at Nowra was the first time I used it.....fun trying to shoot those cowboy clays with it :) (first time ever shooting at clays as well!)

Archived