SASS Wire Forum

Need Help Identifying a Mystery Revolver

Flaco Joe

A member of our club has acquired a pair of revolvers that are hard to figure out. They appear to be Colt New Frontier frames; HOWEVER, the barrels are clearly marked “Cimarron Firearms” with Uberti markings. 

Important things to know: 1) their serial numbers are consecutive, 2) they are chambered in .38-40 which is not a chambering of Colt New Frontier models, 3) the rampant colt image is clearly marked on the frames but the barrels are roll-stamped with Cimarron markings, and 4) the front sights appear to be custom.

These revolvers are a mystery. They were purchased here in Alaska. The actions are silky smooth which means they likely have been used for CAS; however, these guns are unknown to members of our club.

Does anyone have any information about these guns? If there is no factory model that matches them, it would seem that someone spent a lot of time and money to convert a pair of Colt frames to .38-40 using Uberti parts.

4300850B-7296-4AA8-91DD-6E7C24BC0739.jpeg

BA2BDFF2-09DB-4DFF-898F-3073AB886FAE.jpeg

FA4F6EE3-164C-4C5D-B2F9-4610A0C7A6C4.jpeg

7781854C-E05F-4B30-8601-EFD55330D3B9.jpeg

I don't know about those pistols specifically, but it would seem that someone wanted the 38-40 chambering and had cylinders and barrels installed in that caliber.  I have two USFA pistols that started out in 45 Colt and with different barrels and cylinders are now 44-40.  For more detail on them, it might be worthwhile obtaining a Colt letter.  A check of the Colt serial no. website might get some info on production date and caliber at least. 

I think you answered your own question. Colt would not have put Cimarron parts on their guns. Someone put aftermarket parts on a Colt New Frontier to make it what they wanted. Colt will not have any data on someone doing that. The Colt letter will only tell you what it was configured in when it left the factory.

Unless it has "NF" following the number, it ain't a Colt.  2nd gen New Frontier serial numbers have 4 digits followed by NF, 3rd gen New Frontiers are 5 digits, followed by NF

Pretty cool builds, IMHO. I once new a fellow who had a pair of OMVs, but it was before Ruger had introduced the Vaquero. They were in 38-40. His wife had them built for him -- a gunsmith converted them from 357 to 38-40, rechambering and rebarreling, and welded up the top straps to make a "Colt style" groove rear sight (oddly, I don't remember how they did the front sights on them). I thought the build on those was cool, too (but really, more than that, I thought "where can I find a woman like that :) ).

Someone spent quite a bit of time and effort converting these New Frontiers to .38-40, is my guess.

Thanks everyone. 

I can confirm the frames are Colt. The serial numbers end in “NF”. They left the factory in 1970. 

Someone put a lot of effort into converting them to .38-40.

They are not for sale, but if that ever changes, they’ll be on the Wire. 

Howdy

Sure looks like a New Frontier to me. This one is a 2nd Gen and left the factory in 1965. The grips do not fit perfectly and may not be original. This one is chambered for 45 Colt.

pldGb498j

pn7Wh3Q0j

Just for fun, here is what a New Frontier looks like compared to a Ruger Blackhawk. Notice the very distinctive New Frontier front sight.

pnJagSaXj

What I find interesting is Kuhnhausen says 1st and 2nd Gen Colt barrels had tapered threads, nominally .695 X 20 threads per inch. The New Frontier in question would have been a 2nd Gen.

Kuhnhuasen says Uberti barrels have .6875 non-tapered threads 20 threads per inch.

Not quite sure if the non-tapered Uberti threads would fit properly in the 2nd Gen frame with tapered threads. Maybe yes, maybe no.

Archived