SASS Wire Forum

Well, that bites....

So I decided to mix up some "classic blacksmith" metal finish for some projects.  Simple recipe - beeswax, BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil), and turpentine.

Got the beeswax.  Got the BLO.  But what the heck - turpentine has been banned in california!   :angry:

Any 'smiths in the house who might know of a workable substitute...?  :(

47 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Is this the same thing in Australia? We have the below and also Mineral Turpentine -

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-1l-pure-gum-turpentine_p1560994

Yup... that's the stuff.  

Distilled from pine sap.  Not legal in california.  <_<

Drive to Reno and get some? Acetone is extremely flammable so keep it away from open flames. I had a friend burn their house to the ground by using acetone to clean something. The fumes were ignited by the pilot light on the water heater.

Hey Hardpan, I am getting ready to move from my Nevada home in a couple years because it is starting to turn into California

5 hours ago, bgavin said:

Reno/Carson is a wonderful source for many things.
Sadly, it is every bit of a 2 hour drive from here in Sacramento, longer from your location.

There is a LGS in Carson City that has the same name as a LGS in Elk Grove that in 2021 had a sign on the front door unwelcoming Californios.  The manager explained that he got a lot of customers from CA that due to the limited supplies meant that locals were under served.  He certainly wasn't keeping the doors open selling ammo.  No LGS or big box store was.  Other than some oddball calibers there was zero boxes on store shelves.  The only time I ever found 45ACP & 9x19 was when I bought an AR7 & Sig 365SAS.  Your right an AR7 is a 22LR.  When I bought the AR7 from Sportsman's Warehouse it was on sale & when I went to the Reno store the sales associate asked if I needed ammo.  He had no problem selling two boxes of 45ACP FMJ.  Just before Christmas I bought at the Carson City Sportsman's Warehouse a Sig 365SAS to give to my daughter.  While there was no 9x19 on the shelves when ask if I needed ammo for the Sig I said yes.  At least there was a few boxes  223 & 7.62x51 on the shelves.

One cannot buy ammo in NV with a CA drivers license because they check for this.
However, no ID check is currently required to buy components.

My neighbor refuels his diesel rig in NV because the price is lower.
I wonder if he should be denied his purchase because that would under serve the locals?
Or anybody else driving through NV with an out of state plate.
Or perhaps those who buy meals or groceries or car parts, or ??

The psychic ability of that LGS to differentiate one of the 6 million Trump voters from a liberal voter, just by their CA license plate is remarkable.
Oh that's right... he just hates 'em all, based on their license plate.

Banned turpentine???

What the heck for? I gotta hear this. 

That means that artists, that paint in classic oils, will have to move elsewhere, since turpentine is an essential ingredient in that painting style. 

"The eternal choice of mortal man...to endure oppression...or to resist." 

28 minutes ago, bgavin said:

One cannot buy ammo in NV with a CA drivers license because they check for this.

I wonder if he should be denied his purchase because that would under serve the locals?

Are you sure?  I thought california was the only state that required identification to buy ammunition... :huh:

8 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Banned turpentine???

That means that artists, that paint in classic oils, will have to move elsewhere, since turpentine is an essential ingredient in that painting style. 

Yup.  It's a VOC ~ Volatile Organic Compound.  VOC's are strictly controlled in the state... polluting, don'tcha know.  Might contribute to global warming in Kenya.  <_<

9 hours ago, bgavin said:

The psychic ability of that LGS to differentiate one of the 6 million Trump voters from a liberal voter, just by their CA license plate is remarkable.
Oh that's right... he just hates 'em all, based on their license plate.

NV checks your DL to buy ammo ? Guess I’ve always been in the right place at the right time , I’ve never had anyone ask for a DL for ammo 

16 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Banned turpentine???

There are Turpentine substitutes available to artists. There effectiveness in Blacksmith Metal Finish appears to be lacking.

On 4/14/2022 at 1:31 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So I decided to mix up some "classic blacksmith" metal finish for some projects.  Simple recipe - beeswax, BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil), and turpentine.

Got the beeswax.  Got the BLO.  But what the heck - turpentine has been banned in california!   :angry:

Any 'smiths in the house who might know of a workable substitute...?  :(

I did a DDG search and couldn't come up with a recipe for "classic blacksmith metal finish".  Would you be open to sharing the recipe? 

Illinois requires a Firearms Owner Identification D(something). refer to it as a FOID card.  I tried to buy ammo at a Cabela's north of Chitcago and was denied as I didn't have a FOID card and was from out of state.

I wonder if mineral spirits wouldn't be a substitute for turpentine.

9 hours ago, Blind Squirrel said:

I did a DDG search and couldn't come up with a recipe for "classic blacksmith metal finish".  Would you be open to sharing the recipe? 

Well... the ratios will vary wildly, but a start might be roughly 3-4 parts beeswax, 2 parts turpentine, and 1 part boiled linseed oil (mixed warm, of course) for iron.  You can adjust the consistency (thin to paste) by increasing or decreasing turpentine.

It will give a durable, water resistant, black finish to iron/steel.  For items that will be used for food, I'll just use beeswax or nothing at all.  You can also use just BLO, or BLO mixed with beeswax, or heck, even just beeswax.

But this is simple and economical, and works well.  Also, it can be used to waterproof leather and some fabrics - like my old, old Drizabone oilskin.

image.png.4c2acf2319afc62f8eefe6be11b2533e.png

1 hour ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Illinois requires a Firearms Owner Identification D(something). refer to it as a FOID card.  I tried to buy ammo at a Cabela's north of Chitcago and was denied as I didn't have a FOID card and was from out of state.

I wonder if mineral spirits wouldn't be a substitute for turpentine.

Firearm Owner IDENTIFICATION.

FOID

On 4/16/2022 at 2:23 PM, J.D. Daily said:

There is a LGS in Carson City that has the same name as a LGS in Elk Grove that in 2021 had a sign on the front door unwelcoming Californios.  The manager explained that he got a lot of customers from CA that due to the limited supplies meant that locals were under served.  He certainly wasn't keeping the doors open selling ammo.  No LGS or big box store was.  Other than some oddball calibers there was zero boxes on store shelves.  The only time I ever found 45ACP & 9x19 was when I bought an AR7 & Sig 365SAS.  Your right an AR7 is a 22LR.  When I bought the AR7 from Sportsman's Warehouse it was on sale & when I went to the Reno store the sales associate asked if I needed ammo.  He had no problem selling two boxes of 45ACP FMJ.  Just before Christmas I bought at the Carson City Sportsman's Warehouse a Sig 365SAS to give to my daughter.  While there was no 9x19 on the shelves when ask if I needed ammo for the Sig I said yes.  At least there was a few boxes  223 & 7.62x51 on the shelves.

wasn't the OP about a substitute for turpentine?  How'd we wander to LGSs and ammo across state lines? 

On 4/16/2022 at 10:13 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Are you sure?  I thought california was the only state that required identification to buy ammunition... :huh:

Yup.  It's a VOC ~ Volatile Organic Compound.  VOC's are strictly controlled in the state... polluting, don'tcha know.  Might contribute to global warming in Kenya.  <_<

VOC's are precursor hydrocarbons that when mixed in the atmosphere with NO2 & CO and exposed to sunlight create smog.  

On 4/18/2022 at 4:13 PM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

wasn't the OP about a substitute for turpentine?  How'd we wander to LGSs and ammo across state lines? 

The topic segwayed into products banned in Kalifornia.   You need a permit from a county's ag dept. to buy Full strength glyphosate.  I have a friend who lives in San Juaquin County that buy's 5 gallon jugs of it when visiting me.  Besides not having to get a county permit the cost is less than half in NV.

10 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

The topic segwayed into products banned in Kalifornia.   You need a permit from a county's ag dept. to buy Full strength glyphosate.  I have a friend who lives in San Juaquin County that buy's 5 gallon jugs of it when visiting me.  Besides not having to get a county permit the cost is less than half in NV.

I live in Ca and I buy full strength Glyphosate concentrate and many other restricted pesticides quite often.  I simply went down to the County Ag Adviser and got the permit (no charge and took less than 20 minutes).  They just wanted permitted folks to be given a bunch of informational materials to read. 

It is more complex if you want to apply pesticides commercially or on property that you do not own, but the process for me as a rancher was far from an onerous one. 

Just setting the matter straight here.   

5 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I live in Ca and I buy full strength Glyphosate concentrate and many other restricted pesticides quite often.  I simply went down to the County Ag Adviser and got the permit (no charge and took less than 20 minutes).  They just wanted permitted folks to be given a bunch of informational materials to read. 

It is more complex if you want to apply pesticides commercially or on property that you do not own, but the process for me as a rancher was far from an onerous one. 

Just setting the matter straight here.   

Because, NV doesn't have a Prop 65 or any other Kalifornia only restrictions so you can buy ag chemicals cheap in NV at ranch supply retail stores, like CA Ranch Supply & Big R stores, etc.  You can also visit the Big Box sporting goods stores and the many LGS's to drool over all the firearms you can't buy in Kalifornia unless you are a LEO with permission from your department.  That fact & my firing range is a magnet for my kids.  Not so much for my grandkids because the boys are government issue located outside Kalifornia.   Two of them have stated they will not become residents again.

Archived