SASS Wire Forum

Zippo question or two....or....

Chili Ron

Howdy,

From time to time I see shortened zippo lighters.

They seem related to Vietnam but not always.

Anyone know the real reason for a short zippo??

Do they fit somewhere into combat gear??

Ive seen zippos stuck onto helmets....would that be a reason for cutting one?

Seems like a lot of work.

One fella suggested a shortened slim zippo which might come out looking like a miniature zippo.

Now that could have a fun factor.

U tube has directions to make or ruin one if you care to look.

Best

CR

Can’t say as I’ve ever seen one.

I know this doesn't really answer your question but it is interesting. They say the lighter is "shortened" but they do not say why.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-zippo-army-lighter-vietnam-400633408

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/shortened-cut-airborne-sai-gon-67-68-401571696

This history of "Zippo" mentions shortening their lighters by 1/4" in 1933. There is no  other mentioning of "shortened" lighters.

https://www.company-histories.com/Zippo-Manufacturing-Company-Company-History.html

HERE YOU GO - Scroll down to "Short Model"The guy can't spell for crap or has no editing skills, but the "short" lighters were a thing done by the Vietnamese, not the soldiers and it wasn't done because the soldier was "Short" - Per this guy.

http://vietnam.zippo.free.fr/repared.htm

Im just sent a Zippo that my wife gave me for my birthday in 1965, (the first gift she ever gave me  three months before she married me) back to be restored after 52 years.  The warranty is still good.

I also have a Vietnam lighter that I can't even begin to consider selling, and will haunt my kids if they do.  It works fine and looks great.

I have my Dad's 1959 Ronson that Zippo, who now owns Ronson, will tell me if they can fix if I sent them a front and back picture of it.  On the way this week end.

Lots of trouble for a guy who stopped smoking  a second after midnight in 2000 AD.

My dad was a heavy smoker and only used a Zippo lighter. For years I didn't know there was any other kind. I think he tossed it when he quit smoking. There's something sort of satisfying the way they work and sound, especially when the lid is opened & snapped shut.

I never knew of the shortened ones until this thread. Seems it would make one-handed operation difficult, even with small hands.

This one belonged to my father in law. He was a WWII vet, but not VN,  so I don't know how he acquired it. Anyway, it's kinda cool. Great for cigars and camping.

7kNNuLR.jpg

Howdy,

they use the zippo all thru the Burn Notice show but no Burn Notice Zippos????

007 hardly use one and I bet they made 200 different models or styles for Bond.

Perhaps a Ukrainian model for molitive cocktails??

Is that shaken or stirred??

Best

CR

I still have my Slim Zippo with my ship’s logo on it. If I can find it I will photograph it. I also have a Zippo my wife bought me with a USN anchor on it. It still looks brand new. I got the leather Zippo lighter pouch with it too. 

Howdy,

Maybe we need a short strokked  SASS model>>>

Anyone have time and tools to make up a few?

The shorter one would fit onto a belt buckle better, perhaps?????\

Best

CR

Lost mine down the toilet. 
Alcohol may have contributed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy,

I got to reading and it seems the short ones were damaged ones that were cut to remove damaged areas.

Lighters and all sorts of other stuff was dug up and repaired and sold.

Im intrigued by the idea of a short slim model.

No real use for it, could look cool.

Seems the short ones were NOT done by GI.

Best

CR

thanks fer reedin.

Archived