SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1897 Cartridge stop issue.

CPL. Magruder

Hey first time here and interested in the sport.

So for a bit of backstory on my Winchester, I saw on Gunbroker a item of a barreled action of a chopped down Winchester 1897. Looking at the serial number and the bio, it was originally a 30in and the previous owner was going to make it into a trench gun. I guess they lost interest and scrapped it and sold it for parts. I shopped eBay for the internal parts as well as some parts from Outlaw Gambler's site.

This is where my issue starts: I screwed in the left and right and used my original Winchester 97 (First year 5 digits) as a reference to make sure I put them in the correct sides. the springs are jutting out much further that I need to push the right stop in while pushing the slide action forward. Have anyone else came across this issue or suggestion on fixing it?  I can upload more pictures if it helps.

20220413_212420.jpg

doesn't look like either one of them are "seated". There is a small indentation that has to slide under the small tab. when installing compress the slide lock and push forward until it slides under the tab. It will not look like yours in the pic, much flatter and less sticking upward. remember double tab goes to the right side, single tab to the left

A bit of a challenge taking a picture. As stated above: The pre "E" series had a notch in the stops, that fit under the tabs in the action.

Seated under tab

Snapshot000000.jpg.4589dc297219a76ca961229499fe9aca.jpg

Notch

Snapshot000003.jpg.8db308037b1b3ca2b1697c38642d63e2.jpg

L & R notches. 

Snapshot000005.jpg.973a2a92f634a9fd2515719e3d4e546c.jpg

Also in my pile of parts I found some without notches, Don't know what they are from??

1581547587_Win1897stops.thumb.jpg.a9f1ef3645e214faa7e7eb7cc78fcce7.jpg

3 hours ago, Outlaw Gambler said:

doesn't look like either one of them are "seated". There is a small indentation that has to slide under the small tab. when installing compress the slide lock and push forward until it slides under the tab. It will not look like yours in the pic, much flatter and less sticking upward. remember double tab goes to the right side, single tab to the left

What Gambler said, best done with carrier out of gun. Tabs can be broken off, then you have to find a good welder.

Rob

So taking out the carrier and looking carefully at the inside of the receiver, I do believe that the tabs are broken off. It was hard to understand the "C" series as there is a hole on the left side of the cartridge stop that looks like a another part should be there. I also posted my cartridge stop just in case for curiosity. 

20220414_133814.jpg

20220414_133906.jpg

20220414_134001.jpg

20220414_134015.jpg

Yep, Looks like they're gone. Like I said you need to find a good welder that can weld a little bead back in there, then you need to with a Dremel and some stones  shape it back, it's a job but it can be done. Maybe you can find another receiver or maybe you have a bunch of spare part, that's up to you.

Rob

Appreciate it, I have next to no knowledge on welding but I am resourceful in finding people who are experts in this. Guess I know why the original owner listed this as a gunsmith special. I will continue working on this and may do a video essay on my experience. 

Your shell stop look find. If you find a welder you may want to take your other 97 to show him what needs to be welded back, as little welding as needed, less grinding for you. The picture Big Boston sent show how little it is. Go slow when grinding and checking fit. Good luck.

Rob

Archived