SASS Wire Forum

Anyone else grow up reading these?

Buckshot Bear

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

How about this guy?

51A9iojKzNL._SY346_.jpg

When I would read it I would always think of Lee Marvin. Because Fargo's hair had gone prematurely white.

Benteen?

Nick Nolte's character in Extreme Prejudice was named Jack Benteen. A seriously no-nonsense Texas Ranger.

I have never seen the name Benteen anywhere else.

Hmmm.

Edge? Been a while. Josiah Hedges? Carried a straight razor in a sheath hanging down the back of his neck, and just about in every book he cut somebody with it?

5 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Benteen?

Nick Nolte's character in Extreme Prejudice was named Jack Benteen. A seriously no-nonsense Texas Ranger.

I have never seen the name Benteen anywhere else.

Hmmm.

Never saw that movie but the name Benteen is usually associated with Custer and Little Bighorn.

Yup. Catlow was my first L'Amour. Discovered his books in 5th grade. Read and still have all of them.

I read a bunch of the Fargo books and some of the Edge books back in the day. How about the Outlaw Torn Slater books? Anybody read any of those?

1 minute ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Brilliant author

I learned a lot of Western history and geography from his writings. I saw a blurb in one of his books that if he writes of a spring, he's been there and the water is good to drink. I don't know what you've read of him, but he like been there and done all sorts of things.

JHC

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

How about this guy?

51A9iojKzNL._SY346_.jpg

When I would read it I would always think of Lee Marvin. Because Fargo's hair had gone prematurely white.

Is he simultaneously shooting a SASS and Wild Bunch match?  Looks like an SAA in his right hand and M1911 in his left. 

Seamus

10 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Is he simultaneously shooting a SASS and Wild Bunch match?  Looks like an SAA in his right hand and M1911 in his left. 

Seamus

SHHHH.... Someone will want a new category.

I have nearly all of L’Amore’s work.

Also, much of W.W. Johnstone and his nephew, as well as Ralph Compton and Ralph Cotton..  There are several other authors that I have works by and I am really into Elmore Leonard right now.

19 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I learned a lot of Western history and geography from his writings. I saw a blurb in one of his books that if he writes of a spring, he's been there and the water is good to drink. I don't know what you've read of him, but he like been there and done all sorts of things.

JHC

Mum and Dad were avid Western readers and lovers of the West. They got myself and my three older brothers hooked on reading when we were very young.

L'Amour wrote, like you mentioned above and you were able to picture yourself there.

15 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Seamus

I love it when someone draws the cover art for a book, but has no idea what's going on in the book.

Fargo takes place just prior to World War I. He had been in the army and was now a mercenary. He did not like the new 45 automatic - he thought the accuracy sucked. He carried the Colt double action 38 revolver. He used hollow points, which gave him the stopping power of the 45 automatic, with much greater accuracy.

So there is the drawing on the cover with him using a 1911 and a Single Action Army, neither of which he used.

A year or so ago, I culled out some of the books that I had read and either didn’t care much for or that I had duplicates of, (when you’re laid up and can’t do much else, you forget titles you’ve already read) and took them to a used book buyer. Over a hundred paperbacks. I got $54.00cash and a $60.00 store credit.  I took my grandson there last Christmas and he bought three classic collectible comic books.  Made us both happy!

I have two 8’ shelves that contain paperbacks stacked two deep and two and three high.

I’ve thought of maybe selling off one or another collection/author, but I usually disabuse myself of the idea rather quickly.

15 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

My dad was a HUGE Louis L'Amour fan. I've read most if not all he wrote.

JHC

At one time I had all the L'Amour hardbacks put out by subscription.  I donated them to our public library when we moved here.  The same time that I gave them all my Agatha Christie books and my entire collection of Time-Life books.

As to reading all of those, I was into Doc Savage at that time.

I enjoyed the Sacketts sagas and still do.

At my age, I can read them, put them away for 6 months then re-discover a new one I haven't read before!!

Read the paperback "Hondo" right after I saw the movie, when it first came out...in 3D!  May not have every L'Amour book, but have about six or eight feet of shelf space with his books, including his bios.  My favorite is "The Walking Drum".  His knowledge of Middle Ages was amazing.  Too bad he passed before he could write a sequel! :(

I  had read nearly all the L'Amour books by 1970 or so then decided that one wasn't all that much different from the other.  I think the last one read was Lonely is the Brave.   Read all of Terry Johnstons, Elmer  Kelton, and J. Lee Butts plus several more.  They don't entertain me like they used to.

On 4/13/2022 at 7:54 PM, Alpo said:

How about this guy?

51A9iojKzNL._SY346_.jpg

With the clothes, lemon squeezer lid, and dual pistols (1 revolver and 1 1911) it  looks like a definite carbon copy, rip off of Rico Fardan. Lee Marvin's character in The Professionals.

I've got almost all of Louis L'Amour's books. I also have most of J. T. Edson's westerns. He is a British author, h writes about Dusty Fog and the Floating Outfit. I shot a match a few years back with a shooter whose alias was Capt. D. E. M. Fog. I have also read some of the Edge books, and a series called "Sudden".

8 hours ago, The Blarney Kid said:

I also have most of J. T. Edson's westerns. He is a British author, h writes about Dusty Fog and the Floating Outfit.

You seem to be the only other guy that has even heard of Edson. I used to read a lot of his stuff. I especially like it when he talks about getting historical information from descendants of his characters.

Archived