SASS Wire Forum

TV HEARING AIDS

Blackwater 53393

Just what the title asks.  Has anyone tried any of the hearing aids advertised on television? Particularly those claiming to be programmable/adjustable by phone or internet. 

Getting to the point where I’m frustrated by missing portions of conversation and dialogue on TV. What brand do you use/have? How adaptable are they and are they bluetooth capable?  What is the price range? Is adjustment convenient?

Are any of them capable of delivering real quality sound reproduction?  Are you satisfied with music and working sound quality?

HELP ME OUT, HERE!!

Not hearing aids but my step daughter uses these for TV and movies.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07MKBGH2V/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

She uses them instead of wearing her hearing aids when watching TV. Very clear sound. I have a pair and no longer need closed captions to understand the dialogue when watching movies. 

My Phonak hearing aids can connect via bluetooth to a transmitter hooked into the TV.  I get all the sounds, controlled by my phone and the wife can listen to the regular speakers with them blasting her into the next room.

I wear regular hearing aids. They came with a transmitter that hooks to the TV. Wife mutes the TV, goes up to bed and I listen through the hearing aids. During the day, if the volume she can hear isn’t enough for me, I switch to the aids. Perty nice. But pricy….

Sam Sackett 

31 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Not hearing aids but my step daughter uses these for TV and movies.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07MKBGH2V/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

She uses them instead of wearing her hearing aids when watching TV. Very clear sound. I have a pair and no longer need closed captions to understand the dialogue when watching movies. 

The transmitter goes inline so you can also use your sound system. Works with either coax or optical. 

47 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Just what the title asks.  Has anyone tried any of the hearing aids advertised on television? Particularly those claiming to be programmable/adjustable by phone or internet. 

Getting to the point where I’m frustrated by missing portions of conversation and dialogue on TV. What brand do you use/have? How adaptable are they and are they bluetooth capable?  What is the price range? Is adjustment convenient?

Are any of them capable of delivering real quality sound reproduction?  Are you satisfied with music and working sound quality?

HELP ME OUT, HERE!!

Talk with George Baylor on this...his hearing aids he could adjust to TV settings.

Uncle had the kind you wore stethascope style...but no one else can listen when in use.

I’ve used a couple of the hearing aids advertised on tv and they don’t come close to the Oticon pair that I lost, 7 grand down the drain, try explaining that to your wife. I now have a pair from Costco that are okay at $1,500.00 but not near as good as Oticon. Mrs. Lose may spring for the Oticon again someday but her memory is long, very long. Blackwater if you’ll PM me your address I’ll send you some of the TV hearing aids and you can see what you think.

Thanks, Everyone!

Keep the info coming!

One of the things I’m concerned with is how close to true sound I will get.  Even now, I can hear the slightest sound of a malfunction in a running piece of machinery and usually can tell the area it’s coming from, (bad lifter or loose rocker arm on an engine, a sloppy timing chain, which wheel bearing is bad) and my “musical ear” is still pretty sharp.  

It’s conversation that I’m really struggling with and some day to day sounds in certain frequency ranges.

Any testimony as to quality and clarity from our musicians will be VERY useful and most appreciated!!

I’m also looking for some relief from tinnitus. At times it’s negligible and if I’m busy with music or mechanical stuff it just seems to fade away. If I’m idle or uninvolved, it’s sometimes like jets landing and taking off in my head.

The frustrating thing about this is it is nearly all subjective, only you know what you hear, you can't know what you don't hear, and BTW, their tests can't really tell you. I've been wearing them for a very long time, and have gone through many sets.  There are good providers, and not so good.  In my opinion there is as much art as science in prescribing them.  When I first got them, just to try and understand them, I would ask my wife if I should be hearing whatever it was that was going on.  After at least 8 sets, picking the new ones will be no easier than all of the times before.  I think most states have a 30 day return policy so make yourself wear them a lot- it is not easy if this is your first pair - and exchange or return them if you don't like the results, then try again.  I wish us both luck and a happy landing!

“True” sound is relative to what you remember, so it’s hard to say how well it’s reproduced. 

I have terrible tinnitus. Despite what manufacturers claim, the best they can do is attempt to mask it by emitting white noise thru the hearing aids. For me, the white noise is not only ineffective, but annoying. The other thing it does is drain the batteries. 

My hearing aids use batteries that aren’t rechargeable. I get about 6 days out of them. If I use the Bluetooth connection for phone conversations, or any other devices, battery life is significantly shorter. That can get expensive. 

Mine were initially programmed by an audiologist. I can manage volume and some settings with my iPhone which is really convenient. 

Good luck!

33 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Thanks, Everyone!

Keep the info coming!

One of the things I’m concerned with is how close to true sound I will get.  Even now, I can hear the slightest sound of a malfunction in a running piece of machinery and usually can tell the area it’s coming from, (bad lifter or loose rocker arm on an engine, a sloppy timing chain, which wheel bearing is bad) and my “musical ear” is still pretty sharp.  

It’s conversation that I’m really struggling with and some day to day sounds in certain frequency ranges.

Any testimony as to quality and clarity from our musicians will be VERY useful and most appreciated!!

I’m also looking for some relief from tinnitus. At times it’s negligible and if I’m busy with music or mechanical stuff it just seems to fade away. If I’m idle or uninvolved, it’s sometimes like jets landing and taking off in my head.

When I had my Oticon hearing aids I was really getting in to playing the banjo and felt that I could hear it very well. Since I’ve had the Costco hearing aids I really can’t tune it like I used to and the TV hearing aids were worthless to try and play with. 

Costco was good for me until I went deaf . They are the 2nd biggest distributor in the US , first being the VA . When I had mine Costco sold about 5 different models . And you had a trial period if you didn’t like them you could switch to a different model.The only real downside to the Costco ones they are software locked so only they can adjust them , and some models don’t come with a few of the available features like tinnitus treatments you could get from a audiologist. But the upside is they cost half as much, my insurance covered nothing for hearing aids . To me the one big thing was Bluetooth capability. I understand far better with streaming. It’s the same with the cochlear implants I have now . It’s the only way I get much out of tv , the phone or radio 

I havent but wear Signia. 

Started with a $4500 a pair outside the ear but had constant problems. On the third trip back, I said i didnt want them. The sales lady said O had an inordinate amount of problems and Siemans upgraded me to a $7500 pair. 4 sound modes plus mask mode and bluetooth. The quality was a big jump plus it had directional hearing where the other did not.

I suspect you are paying for little more than minor electronic and simple programming differences from one level to another.

I have a tear in one eardrum that sort of grew back and thickly scarred up. Other side not much better.

All in all, the several hearing aids I tried these are best, but its like a tuxedo or a condom, you only wear them if you have to.

Mine came with a 3 year full warranty including loss or theft.  I also get lifetime adjustments, cleaning, tuning, wax cups, retainers and domes and hearing tests from the audiologist.

Archived