SASS Wire Forum

Primers, the new Texas company

Didn’t Cholla post this same thing last week?

"No New Orders in 2022" doesn't mean "No primers delivered".  We've had the same thing with other commodities several times in the past.

I was the Purchasing Manager for a machine tool company several decades ago.  There was a huge shortage on bearings.  Suddenly people couldn't get bearings, so they started placing orders way over their needs, just to be sure they had some on order.  Within a few weeks, the standard leadtime for bearings went from 4 weeks to 18 months!  People would place orders with manufacturers, distributors, and retails. 

The factories then announced that they were accepting "no new orders", because their production capacity was already committed for the next 18 months.  As customers started getting deliveries on their orders (in the sequence that the orders were placed) they'd keep a few on order until they had way more in inventory than they needed.  Then they cancelled all those extra purchase orders with the manufacturers and distributors. As the cancelled orders created room in the pipeline, the manufacturers started accepting orders again, but the incoming rate of orders wasn't as high as before due to the high inventory at customers. Leadtimes then dropped from the inflated 18 month leadtime to the normal 4 weeks.

That's what we're seeing today with primers.  When people finally realize they don't need to have more than 5 years of primers in their back rooms, leadtimes and prices will drop and availability will go up.

I’ll get excited when they actually make some. Did some homework on the people behind this and I’m not getting my hopes up till then. 

They are only an hour or so from my QTH. 

Since I started CAS my ham gear gets more and more buried each year. :)  But I've been in and out since starting 56 years ago, and will get back some day.  Maybe after we run totally out of primers.  :unsure:

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Since I started CAS my ham gear gets more and more buried each year. :)  But I've been in and out since starting 56 years ago, and will get back some day.  Maybe after we run totally out of primers.  :unsure:

Have you watched the 2000 movie "Frequency"?  Highly recommended, especially for ham operators.

Archived