SASS Wire Forum

Springfield Armory hi power 9mm

Irish Pat

The link Lazy refers to are a bunch of ....well you know.

They SELL HI Power parts and springs as well as smithing work.....   SO YOU FIGURE HOW UNBIASED THEY ARE.

They have multiple videos showing everything wrong with the SA35.

They had a  shooting video showing an SA35 that failed to extract about twice per mag. They then

inserted one of those 50 rd drum mags and proceeded to do a mag dump with no issues.

No explanation how it could fire 50 w/o a hiccup but the previous 15 rd mag the gun had problems!?

If you replace all of the SA springs with theirs you should be just fine....HA!!

One thing I will say the HP is VERY susceptible to limp wristing!  The gun is lightweight for being all

steel and the slide NEEDS resistance to function, any loose grip WILL cause extraction issues.

Springfield HAS NOT had any recall on this pistol so go figure where the problems lie.

PS.     SA and S&W are BOTH moving their headquarters to Tennessee. SA hopes to be moved by end of 2023.

SA just expanded their production facility in  IL.,  so doubt the SA 35 will be made elsewhere.

I just picked one up this past week.  I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it appears to be a well made version of the Hi Power.

I had been wanting one since they were announced, but before last week the only ones I saw were on sale for "collector" prices, which I wasn't interested in paying.

I got this one for less than MSRP, so it went home with me.

HiPower.jpg

I understand SA are made by Imbel in Brazil.
After my experience with the made-in-Brazil Stoeger coach gun... I was waaay more than apprehensive about Brazil products.
However, I'm told this company makes top-notch forged products for SA.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

I understand SA are made by Imbel in Brazil.
After my experience with the made-in-Brazil Stoeger coach gun... I was waaay more than apprehensive about Brazil products.
However, I'm told this company makes top-notch forged products for SA.

Make that “forgings used to be made in Brazil”.

All Springfield 1911’s who’s serial numbers begin with “NM” have forgings made in USA

They have been that way for many years.

Saw one at the local Palmetto State Armory store about 2 weeks ago, but at $300 over MSRP, I will pass for now. I am hoping to see a Girsan (Turkish) knock-off at a store someday, or maybe even hold out for one of the new overpriced FN "High Powers". A sort-of Hi-Power in stainless looks very appealing to me...

42 minutes ago, Pariah, SASS #26619 said:

Saw one at the local Palmetto State Armory store about 2 weeks ago, but at $300 over MSRP, I will pass for now. I am hoping to see a Girsan (Turkish) knock-off at a store someday, or maybe even hold out for one of the new overpriced FN "High Powers". A sort-of Hi-Power in stainless looks very appealing to me...

Read the reviews on the FN - expensive too, I wouldn't go there!

IMBEL is part of the Ministry of defence for Brazil. They oversee manufacturing rather than produce  anything. IMBEL FAL's

were produced on FN equipment  and production was overseen by IMBEL. Same thing  with the South American Hi Powers,

they were made on FN equipment.

The NM serial numbers DO NOT denote US forgings . At one time those 1911's with NM were fit and finished in the US while the others were produced  wholly , in South America , First by FIE Corp  which had the squared off dust covers, etc.  This was expressed to me by Dave Williams who at the time was head of SA's custom shop.

To my knowledge several; folks have called SA and they will not tell where their 1911 forgings are now being done.

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Might consider one if they ever put one out with a a shiny civilian style bluing and some of the old style grips.

AFAIK, SA parts are interchangeable with the original.  Plenty of the old style grips out there.  The new ones are attractive looking and a slimmer profile - all depends on how they feel in the hand and point.

Haven't seen a price that I will accept. I refuse to pay an obscene price gouge for this. 

Perhaps the passing of time will bring the price down, and the availability up. 

I do not need this pistol bad enough to be suckered into overpaying.

But, that's just me.

To each his own. 

There’s another one out now. Article in the Rifleman.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:09 AM, Rip Snorter said:

AFAIK, SA parts are interchangeable with the original.  Plenty of the old style grips out there.  The new ones are attractive looking and a slimmer profile - all depends on how they feel in the hand and point.

It appears that parts are interchangeable.  I installed a Browning Factory ambidextrous safety in mine over the weekend

Other than the expected fitting work, it went in as designed.  

HP 2.jpg

I was in a LGS last week and a fellow customer got one transferred in so I was able to finally hold one. It looks and feels nice, but at the end of the day it's still just a Hi-Power. Amazingly the customer paid a "Gunbroker special" price for it and it had a warped grip panel, plus it was a really early one so it might have the extractor issue. The guy didn't care. Ooooookayyy... <_<

Archived