SASS Wire Forum

Well this sucks! EDITED

Utah Bob #35998

It seems that masks are still required on the Durango-Silverton train. I’m not going to do that.  Bad enough on a 3 hour plane flight.

Trip cancelled. Very very disappointed. :(

EDIT: Well, the last Cascade Canyon run is May 6.  Next runs start in January. After some cogitation, I don’t think I want to wait. I may just have to suck it up and see what happens. They can’t kick me off once the train it out of town:D

3 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It seems that masks are still required on the Durango-Silverton train. I’m not going to do that.  Bad enough on a 3 hour plain flight.

First thing I thought was a covered wagon over the plains. 

conestoga_patch.thumb.png.9494df72c7f267fcdda294ed7726c380.png

Sorry to hear your trip was canceled. 

3 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

First thing I thought was a covered wagon over the plains. 

conestoga_patch.thumb.png.9494df72c7f267fcdda294ed7726c380.png

Sorry to hear your trip was canceled. 

Guess I was a bit distracted there.

6 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Further proof the Blue Flu spreads out of CA and NY, and into the other free (and not so free) states.

What am I missing? Is the RR owned by someone in NY or CA?

I realize that it's simple to blame a faceless entity for what you perceive to be a political attitude, but there are a lot of good, solid conservatives in so-called blue states, and it is grossly unfair to lump them in with blue state pols who drive their far left agenda.  

LL

56 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It seems that masks are still required on the Durango-Silverton train. I’m not going to do that.  Bad enough on a 3 hour plane flight.

We went in the Fall, almost no masks.  If I understand it the owners just had to pay a big fine to the Govt for a fire caused in 2018 - maybe strings were attached.  A great ride, sorry you won't get to enjoy it.

20 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I realize that it's simple to blame a faceless entity for what you perceive to be a political attitude, but there are a lot of good, solid conservatives in so-called blue states, and it is grossly unfair to lump them in with blue state pols who drive their far left agenda.  

LL

It’s a Federal thing. Planes and trains.

55 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

Your very own state sends us Elizabeth Warren.
There are conservatives in CA as well, but same as MA, we are outnumbered.

It matters not if there is 49.99% or only 1% conservatives... the state is still Blue.
Yours, and mine.
And CO,

This Blue Flu is spreading everywhere, not just the coast states.

That railroad is governed by the FRA - Federal Railroad Administration. They are a passenger railroad so they fall under the rules and regs of the federal government regarding the wearing of masks on Public Transportation, which includes; buses, trains, and airlines. 

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Funny it would be one way back in the Fall and another now.  I see they just extended the Covid "Emergency".

Yeah Originally the mask rule would have ended 1 week before my trip. :angry: Now it’s extended. The particular route I booked only runs thru May 6. 

Wait on by the RR tracks, a bit down from the departure point, sitting on your bay,. After it passes, gallop after it down the tracks 'til you're along side the rear car's platform. Swing one leg on to the platform, grab the rail, and hoist yourself aboard. Of course, you will be counting on 2 very important caveats; 1 the mask check has been completed in that last car, 2 your bay knows the way home. ;) 

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Funny it would be one way back in the Fall and another now.  I see they just extended the Covid "Emergency".

We have an election coming up in November.

10 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Despite what the Democrat Admin and their media have been trying to tell everyone to make it look like Biden has succeeded at something, there are still a lot of new Covid cases and localized flare-ups with about 18% seriously hospitalized.  But many fewer deaths are occurring, probably because of the numbers vaccinated.  Thank Donald Trump for the vaccine availability.   But it ain't as over as Biden wants you to believe.  

On 4/13/2022 at 10:41 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

EDIT: Well, the last Cascade Canyon run is May 6.  Next runs start in January. After some cogitation, I don’t think I want to wait. I may just have to suck it up and see what happens. They can’t kick me off once the train it out of town:D

Huh. What’s the reason for the seasonal run? I’d think summer months would bring more riders?

4 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Huh. What’s the reason for the seasonal run? I’d think summer months would bring more riders?

Back when we lived there the Cascade Canyon run was shorter and didn’t go all the way due to heavy snows. It was also a reduced fare if you proved you lived in the area. During summer the run goes all the way up and back to Silverton at roughly a $100 a head. 

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

The snow in the high country, along with the river running pretty strong with run off...good reason for the seasonal trips.

5 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Are you going before May 3rd?

Yes April 25

5 hours ago, JD Lud said:

Bob, perhaps you can be the first person to make the news duct taped to a train seat?  It’s been overdone on the planes but maybe you can be famous!

Nah. They only duck tape the ob noxious, combative ones. I think I can charm my way out of it.   ;)

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Fold a bandana in half diagonally, and then tie it across your face like a bandit mask.

I have been known to do that.

The "powers-that-be" say the mask is still required, in certain instances...trains, busses, planes, etc.  

The science says otherwise. 

Even the very political CDC says the masks do not prevent anything. 

So, in short, those that require masks are simply not following the science. They have other motives., other agendas. 

If you took "science 101", in school, you should know that, to a virus, a mask, that one normally wears, doesn't exist. That is how small a virus is. 

It is all about control, and all about motives, which, in turn, are fueled by ignorant people, who do not bother to read, study, be involved, or to question anything. 

Hey Utah Bob, while you're there, ask if they are bringing back the Christmas tree cutting rides next November, please. My wife wants to go cut a tree on the DS, it's driving her nuts. They stopped it for COVID and we don't see anything about it on their website.

Archived