SASS Wire Forum

Slip Hammering and Classic Cowboys

Cholla

I have been trying to up my game and I noticed that the CC shooter that almost always comes in first at our local club does slip hammering. I don't think my brain could handle the required control to do it. How many other Classic Cowboys do the skip hammer thing?

Howdy Cholla,

I only shoot CC or Duelist and I can't imagine slip hammering with just one hand. Never seen it, but I'd guess that the shooter would have to have pretty large hands and a very strong grip. By the way, I often shoot Schofields and with that design I don't believe that slip hammering is even possible. 

That's all I understand about what I know about that.

Rev. Chase

I just asked him and he doesn't slip hammer. I need to get my eyes checked.

23 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I just asked him and he doesn't slip hammer. I need to get my eyes checked.

I shoot Classic and I've had a few people ask me if I slip hammer. I don't. But on big close targets I guess I'll sometimes pull the trigger so quickly after cocking the hammer that it can appear that I do. I'm not aware of anyone I've shot with who shoots in the duelist or gunfighter style and slip hammers. But I imagine there are some out there.

I've tried it but my hands are too small to do it duelist! I shoot Colts that are slicked up but I would need lower hammers and I'm not going to do that!

28 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Depending on the targets and array I will slip hammer.

I tended to be more prone to having a miss or AD when I do/did it.

Can't seem to go back and forth doing it and not. You probably have better control than I do. 

I either have to do it all the time or not at all. Once I started. It was hard to stop.

Archived