SASS Wire Forum

SPF 97 Winchester UN-FIRED 1918 vintage

Winchester 97 mod E takedown 12 ga 30" bbl UN-FIRED 1918 vintage. beautiful 99% bluing. Has minor scratches from moving around. Left to me from estate of an old Cowboy shooter/ Winchester collector, he had over 400. He got it from a police auction where an entire gun shop was burglarized & recovered. went to the back of his closet for about 40 years until I brought into the light again. $1350 shipped. Not interested in trades, selling to finance new project. Will send more pics to serious buyers.

20220412_170630.jpg

20220412_170447.jpg

37 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

This is where "WANT" overcomes "NEED"!

I will take it. Contact me for transaction details.

You have no idea how much I appreciate you stepping up to the plate right now.

• Pugilist sass1006 changed the title to SPF 97 Winchester UN-FIRED 1918 vintage

Dang,  I was trying to get this. Unfortunately I just spent all my extra funds getting my little guy set up for SASS.

I have a 1939 Winchester 94 in 32 Winchester Special that's still in the original box with 2 full boxes of 1939 32 WS SilverTip ammo. That was the first year of the Silvertip. I got that rifle 33 years ago, when I was only 20, in trade from the daughter of the original buyer for gutting out his dilapidated old house after he passed away. I found it stuffed in a corner closet in a room that was wall to wall old newspapers and mags from the past 30 years (wish I knew then what those are worth today). The gun was still in the original mint condition box, unfired, and it is still that way to this very day.  It has the original price tag dangling from the lever along with the original hand written receipt.

About 20 years ago I loaned it and the ammo to Winchester for a few months. They put it on display at their museum showing their history. That's really the only time is hasn't been stored away. I got it appraised a long time ago and the empty ammo boxes were worth as much as the gun was then and mine boxes are actually full of the original ammo.  

This unfired 97 would have made a nice addition. 

10 hours ago, John E. Law said:

Dang,  I was trying to get this. Unfortunately I just spent all my extra funds getting my little guy set up for SASS.

I have a 1939 Winchester 94 in 32 Winchester Special that's still in the original box with 2 full boxes of 1939 32 WS SilverTip ammo. That was the first year of the Silvertip. I got that rifle 33 years ago, when I was only 20, in trade from the daughter of the original buyer for gutting out his dilapidated old house after he passed away. I found it stuffed in a corner closet in a room that was wall to wall old newspapers and mags from the past 30 years (wish I knew then what those are worth today). The gun was still in the original mint condition box, unfired, and it is still that way to this very day.  It has the original price tag dangling from the lever along with the original hand written receipt.

About 20 years ago I loaned it and the ammo to Winchester for a few months. They put it on display at their museum showing their history. That's really the only time is hasn't been stored away. I got it appraised a long time ago and the empty ammo boxes were worth as much as the gun was then and mine boxes are actually full of the original ammo.  

This unfired 97 would have made a nice addition. 

You've got the most interesting stories!:lol:

I don't know how, but my neighbor sold a military Win. 97 trench gun that had something ground off the receiver just behind the hammer and reblued. He got 4K for it and the guy seemed ecstatic. 

On 4/13/2022 at 9:41 AM, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

This is where "WANT" overcomes "NEED"!

I will take it. Contact me for transaction details.

YeeHaw! Im just excited that this piece is gonna live in Arizona!

On 4/15/2022 at 10:30 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

I don't know how, but my neighbor sold a military Win. 97 trench gun that had something ground off the receiver just behind the hammer and reblued. He got 4K for it and the guy seemed ecstatic. 

Those actual "trench guns" with the bayonet lug and longer wrist are getting crazy money right now. There are several with $4k+ bids on GB right now. Not asking, actual bids. 

Archived