SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 94AE

Grass Range

3 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

And you just proved my point.

I stated undeniable facts.

Backed by observation, experience and use.

My first CAS rifle was a 94 in 44mag (69 vintage).

My 2nd and 3rd rifles were 1892's.

Both tuned by Nate Jones.

My rifles since then have been 1873 rifles properly tuned and short stroked for the purpose of our game (again, a game that is scored by a timer in which 10ths and 100ths of a second differentiate positions).

The fact that some MAY be using a given firearm does not mean the firearm is the best (objective) tool for the job.

Their joy from its use does not negate the objective and quantifiable down sides.

Yet again - this is not about hunting, comfort, style points, heritage, made in USA or ANY criteria outside of use in a TIMED shooting sport.

And those are facts - not opinion.

On 4/23/2022 at 5:57 PM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I stated undeniable facts.

Backed by observation, experience and use.

My first CAS rifle was a 94 in 44mag (69 vintage).

My 2nd and 3rd rifles were 1892's.

Both tuned by Nate Jones.

My rifles since then have been 1873 rifles properly tuned and short stroked for the purpose of our game (again, a game that is scored by a timer in which 10ths and 100ths of a second differentiate positions).

The fact that some MAY be using a given firearm does not mean the firearm is the best (objective) tool for the job.

Their joy from its use does not negate the objective and quantifiable down sides.

Yet again - this is not about hunting, comfort, style points, heritage, made in USA or ANY criteria outside of use in a TIMED shooting sport.

And those are facts - not opinion.

Unless of course you are participating in our sport for the fun of dressing up as your favorite western idol and don’t give a “durn” about it being a TIMED SHOOTING SPORT!  I for one, when I competed had more fun, dressing up like John Wayne, using a large lever 94 and then his commemorative Winchester 92, having fun just shooting and being with my club members shooting .44 spcl. If I wanted to compete I would have shoot .38 spcl, first with a Marlin and then with a Uberti 73 as that is what the “competitive shooters” used.  I would still have my 94 if I hadn’t stumbled onto a deal for a Colt nickel plated Buntline in .44-40. 
So Creeker, lighten up, keep shooting competitively and let the rest of us have fun!  And that is definitely my opinion!

SASS legal, but slow.  Lots of moving parts. 

They are not NCOWS legal, though.

3 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Unless of course you are participating in our sport for the fun of dressing up as your favorite western idol and don’t give a “durn” about it being a TIMED SHOOTING SPORT!
So Creeker, lighten up, keep shooting competitively and let the rest of us have fun!  And that is definitely my opinion!

I always assumed everyone came to the match to have fun - that's the only reason why I am there.

And I could not possibly care less about the legal CHOICES others make in their equipment, attire, alias or attitude toward the game.

What I do care about is information presented without enough supporting details for someone to make an educated choice.

This is a timed shooting sport - your disdain for that fact does not change that. 

SO providing someone with ALL the information required to make a decision about what THEY wish to get out of the game is appropriate.

They can decide after the influx of information; if they "don't give a durn about timed shooting sports" or where on the spectrum of the game they wish to fall.

But I tire of the group that attempts to foist the mentality that all choices are equally valid for our game - there is a distinct hierarchy to the equipment within our game and not explaining that does a dis service.

(especially to new shooters that do NOT have the background to know what they want out of the game yet)

Dress how you wish - use the equipment you wish.

But at least provide full disclosure (PRO AND CON) when you are asked a question about its use, success and history within our game.

17 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I always assumed everyone came to the match to have fun - that's the only reason why I am there.

And I could not possibly care less about the legal CHOICES others make in their equipment, attire, alias or attitude toward the game.

What I do care about is information presented without enough supporting details for someone to make an educated choice.

This is a timed shooting sport - your disdain for that fact does not change that. 

SO providing someone with ALL the information required to make a decision about what THEY wish to get out of the game is appropriate.

They can decide after the influx of information; if they "don't give a durn about timed shooting sports" or where on the spectrum of the game they wish to fall.

But I tire of the group that attempts to foist the mentality that all choices are equally valid for our game - there is a distinct hierarchy to the equipment within our game and not explaining that does a dis service.

(especially to new shooters that do NOT have the background to know what they want out of the game yet)

Dress how you wish - use the equipment you wish.

But at least provide full disclosure (PRO AND CON) when you are asked a question about its use, success and history within our game.

All admirable points, but since you didn’t start out with the question of how competitive does he want to be, how much can he invest, and is there a particular reason he is interested in a ‘94, I thought I should bring up a different perspective. The 94 I had was a 84-94 centennial with a JW loop in .44 mag shooting .44 spcl along with a Colt New Frontier and a Ruger Vaquero. When I started there were not the various choices members have now, but at that time we shot what we could or wanted or could afford. Very few at that time were shooting to be competitive, in fact a gamer was one who short stroked the guns and loaded mouse farts. 
Since I didn’t see anything about being competitive or the original poster comparing a 94 to a different rifle, or asking about options, I surmised he wanted to shoot a 94.  And I know many shooters who shoot them and do enjoy them. 
Respect your view, and offering suggestions without putting down his choice is where I was coming from. 

26 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Respect your view, and offering suggestions without putting down his choice is where I was coming from. 

I certainly would never insult anyone's choice of equipment and your caveat is accurate - it is important to determine what a shooter wants out of the game.

But guns are expensive (even cheaper ones) and failing to disclose the challenges one may face with one choice vs another is important as well to protect limited funds shooters from making errors that may long term affect their enjoyment and direction in the game.

Thats all I was attempting to convey.

Archived