SASS Wire Forum

SPF - Mav Dutchman 44 Cal 200 grain Big Lube™ six cavity mold for 44-40, 44 Mag $89 delivered

Preacherman

Mav Dutchman 44 Cal 200 grain Big Lube™ six cavity mold for 44-40, 44 Mag $89 delivered. Handles not included. Lee handles work just fine.

big 1.jpg

big 2.jpg

big 3.jpg

MavBullet.jpg

I'll take it

• Preacherman changed the title to SPF - Mav Dutchman 44 Cal 200 grain Big Lube™ six cavity mold for 44-40, 44 Mag $89 delivered

Good deal on the mould, but just a a matter of interest, the pic of the bullet at the bottom is not the bullet that mould casts, it is the newer DD mould, I believe.  Apparently there have been 3 versions of the MAV, I have 4 very worn Original moulds, never had the one the pic shows(wish I did, holds more lube) and I have 2 of the newer ones DD sells now when he has them. 

7 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Good deal on the mould, but just a a matter of interest, the pic of the bullet at the bottom is not the bullet that mould casts, it is the newer DD mould, I believe.  Apparently there have been 3 versions of the MAV, I have 4 very worn Original moulds, never had the one the pic shows(wish I did, holds more lube) and I have 2 of the newer ones DD sells now when he has them. 

Slim I think this mold is 2nd generation and lube groove is a bit smaller than the one pictured. I am betting Preacherman just grabbed a picture off the web to demonstrate pretty close what it will look like.

Good eye, this is a mold I have been needing I figure with my lead & lube supply this mold will be paid off in 3 matches :)

Hi all, Well, I am certainly not an expert on these molds and I do understand that there are several versions. The mold for sale does indeed have a larger lube groove than others that I have seen and used. I did borrow the picture as it looked accurate to me. I hope that this is OK

Going by the brass ferrule on the handle it is probably the same DD mould I use. It works fine, but not the Original Mav. Made by a different machinist than the Original LEE made moulds, he does a very good job, maybe better that LEE.

I used one of the Lee Big Lube molds for a few years , it dropped good bullets , but they were small for my sixguns , at .428 or .429, depending on alloy. I eventually got an Accurate mold that drops a .431 that I size to .430 and now am happy.

Rex :D

Archived