SASS Wire Forum

What does this word mean?

Means “HOLY CRAP!!”  :lol:

Ay Chihuahua.  to
iT’s an expression of surprise or possibly annoyance. Leo Carrillo used to say it all the time to Duncan Reynaldo.

From the True West web site: 

Most of us are familiar with the saying, “Ay Chihuahua!” which is the Spanish equivalent of “Yikes!” The entire saying is, “Ay Chihuahua, cuantos Apaches, cuantos Indios sin huaraches!” Which loosely translated, means, “Yikes! How many Apache Indians are there without sandals!” The saying refers to the time when legendary Apache raiders like Geronimo, Cochise, Juh and Victorio, plundered the northern states of Mexico. Apaches wore calf-high deerskin moccasins, as opposed to the sandals of the locals, thus the play on words and the rhyming (Apaches-huaraches). It has been almost a century since those raids but it is quite amazing that this saying is still in use today.

34 minutes ago, bgavin said:

There are two of them across the street.
They are constantly announcing themselves as such.
Damn annoying.

Could be worse, they could be as big as Great Danes and still have the same disposition.

On 4/12/2022 at 2:15 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I think its Spanish.  It is pronounced:    EYE CHEE WAA WAA.

What does it mean?

..........Widder

Great Horney Toads.

The meaning of ay, chihuahua is purely contextual.  It can be "oh my!" or "mercy sakes!" or "hot damn!" or "oh crap!"  It can express surprise, admiration, frustration, exasperation, anger, pleasure, pain, or almost anything.

21 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Could be worse, they could be as big as Great Danes and still have the same disposition.

If the Chihuahua was that big, it would be the dominant species on Earth! (shudder!)

Bears would run far and fast at their mere scent wafting in the breeze.  Sharks would avoid shallow waters like the plague.  Crocs, caimans and gators would get out of the water to avoid them when they decided to drink mere water.

A lot of the tiny dogs share the same type of personality, I suppose it is a survival characteristic.  Mom had a tiny Bichon, cute as a button and great with people, but it would try to bite any large dog it encountered.  Somehow, it lived to a ripe old age.

2 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

A lot of the tiny dogs share the same type of personality, I suppose it is a survival characteristic.  Mom had a tiny Bichon, cute as a button and great with people, but it would try to bite any large dog it encountered.  Somehow, it lived to a ripe old age.

The most dangerous dog I've ever been around was a fawn colored teacup Chihuahua named Pretty Boy.  He was so small that he rode in his owner's coat pocket during the winter.  Had a head about the size of a golf ball.

He bit more people than all the other dogs I've been around combined.

My daughter was looking for an older dog at the local rescue years ago.  As she was looking at the dogs, there was one large Chihuahua in the pen that would snarl and try to bite any dog that approached him.  One of the long time attendants said that he belonged  to an elderly owner who had passed away, and despite appearances was a "good" dog.  Long story short, he ended up with us as my daughter was working and out of her house making for a long day.  He joined the two Boxers we had and "fell in love" with the female.  He would lie next to her, would lick her on occasion and then back up to stare at her.  As it turned out we had another female later and he bonded with her as well.  They told my daughter at the rescue that he was fixed, but apparently it didn't take, and when old Nano would get excited he REALLY got excited. My wife was a nurse  and when she used a nursing trick to calm him down and he bit her.  He did turn out to be  good dog though. 

On 4/12/2022 at 1:35 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Ay Chihuahua.  to
iT’s an expression of surprise or possibly annoyance. Leo Carrillo used to say it all the time to Duncan Reynaldo.

know exactally who those two guys were without having to search

and people say we weren't inclusive back then

On 4/12/2022 at 1:35 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Leo Carrillo used to say it all the time to Duncan Reynaldo

So, Francisco used to say it all the time to Francisco. B)

On 4/13/2022 at 4:47 PM, .44bang said:

Very funny, Never heard about the word before now.

Originated from, where ?

Likely originated in Mexico.  As with many phrases of this type there is no consensus of where and when it started being used. 

Archived