SASS Wire Forum

12 Gauge - 2-3/4" 1oz. #7.5 Shot - NobelSport Low Recoil

rifleman56

Has anyone used this shotgun ammo? I ran out of my Winchester low recoil shotgun gun ammo and I can't find it anywhere. 

So, I need a replacement and was wondering if this will work? 

Thanks for the help. 

shotgun.PNG

I have used them for Trap and they worked fine for me.  But my Trap gun is a lot bigger and heaver than my Coach gun.

The only low noise low recall I have seen are Winchester AA and Federal Top Gun. Both are listed as being under 1000 FPS. Hard to find them. Federal makes some listed at 1145 fps that pop up online fairly frequently. I've been using them shooting Outlaw in my 97

1 oz at 1200 ain't what I'd call low recoil.   I have been finding Winchester 1 oz at 1180 at Walmart, but they won't shuck out of a SxS so I'm using them in the '97.  I wouldn't call them low recoil either, but usable.  

Some years ago I shot some Nobel shells that were lower recoil, but I had problems with them in my TTN.  The brass base was too thin and part of it would expand and bulge into a small void in the extractor area and then hard to shuck.

You would be comparing 1200 fps ammo to 980 fps ammo. You will notice the difference. 

For the  target shotgun shooters, a lighter payload at higher velocity maintains the performance. Often 7/8 and 1 ounce loads are well over 1200 fps. There are a few ammunition manufactures that can make lower velocity 7/8 and 1 ounce loads, but there are too many complaints from consumers. The complaint being that the ammunition will not cycle semi auto and in the field the killing power isn't there. Yes, the consumer will buy what is cheap, not what they need for the task at hand. 

We have an shotgun ammunition factory in Manitoba, I approached them with my request, but it wasn't well received. 

A 1 1/8 ounce load at 1200 fps is the standard 12 ga target load. A 1 ounce load at the same velocity will be lower in recoil. 

Shotgun ammunition for shooting Cowboy doesn't need to be powerful. One ounce at 1000 fps would be more than adequate for even the heaviest knock downs, IMO.

302817597_ChallengerLight.thumb.jpg.f24d0e6f00b7e35ed99a43f9f4ab3b8e.jpg

This is what used to be available at Cabelas until they pulled it from the shelves. The reason, it would not cycle a semi. I bought about 30 boxes. The only downside is that the hulls are Cheddite, OK for a '97 but don't slide into a SxS very smoothly. 

I think the "Cowboys" should lobby the industry for some ammunition to suit our needs. I should be economical, and low recoil. 

BB

23 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

They show in stock here.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/estate-super-sport-target-20ga-2-3-4-shot-size-7-5-1

Randy

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad I didn't buy it. I did buy the Federal low recoil subsonic 12 gauge but I could only buy 3 of them and have to wait 14 days to order more. 

So 14 days from now I'll buy another 3, if available. 

4 minutes ago, rifleman56 said:

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad I didn't buy it. I did buy the Federal low recoil subsonic 12 gauge but I could only buy 3 of them and have to wait 14 days to order more. 

So 14 days from now I'll buy another 3, if available. 

Don't know how the price compares but Rogers shows them in stock, see link above.

Thanks

Randy

26 minutes ago, "Big Boston" said:

You would be comparing 1200 fps ammo to 980 fps ammo. You will notice the difference. 

For the  target shotgun shooters, a lighter payload at higher velocity maintains the performance. Often 7/8 and 1 ounce loads are well over 1200 fps. There are a few ammunition manufactures that can make lower velocity 7/8 and 1 ounce loads, but there are too many complaints from consumers. The complaint being that the ammunition will not cycle semi auto and in the field the killing power isn't there. Yes, the consumer will buy what is cheap, not what they need for the task at hand. 

We have an shotgun ammunition factory in Manitoba, I approached them with my request, but it wasn't well received. 

A 1 1/8 ounce load at 1200 fps is the standard 12 ga target load. A 1 ounce load at the same velocity will be lower in recoil. 

Shotgun ammunition for shooting Cowboy doesn't need to be powerful. One ounce at 1000 fps would be more than adequate for even the heaviest knock downs, IMO.

302817597_ChallengerLight.thumb.jpg.f24d0e6f00b7e35ed99a43f9f4ab3b8e.jpg

This is what used to be available at Cabelas until they pulled it from the shelves. The reason, it would not cycle a semi. I bought about 30 boxes. The only downside is that the hulls are Cheddite, OK for a '97 but don't slide into a SxS very smoothly. 

I think the "Cowboys" should lobby the industry for some ammunition to suit our needs. I should be economical, and low recoil. 

BB

Low recoil shotgun shells were not always available even when ammunition was readily available.  Many of us just bought cases of low noise, low recoil shells during summer rebates when shells were available.  I don't think any ammunition company will try to supply CAS like they do clay shooting sports.  I recommend buying a simple, single stage shotgun shell reloader and assemble low recoil shells as needed.   Self-reliance is a cowboy trait.

Using ammoseek.com and looking up Federal sub sonic 12 ga (900 fps) returns a few results.  Midway has had a 3 box limit for awhile .  Some of the others don't show any limit, but that's not necessarily accurate.  They are also pricey.  The Federal, Remington and Winchester loads at 1145 fps are more plentiful. 

14 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

The Federal, Remington and Winchester loads at 1145 fps are more plentiful. 

But those are generally still too powerful for most folks to enjoy shooting Cowboy matches with.   I don't mind, but I have gotten lots of remarks about hurting targets, hurting ears, and spraying lots of rebounding pellets around.

The only real answer which works all the time for shooting easy recoiling loads is to reload easy loads.

good luck, GJ

Not to highjack this. But a few years ago, I started reloading SG at a cost of only $5 a box. People said that when you could get them for $7 a box, it wasn't worth the time. Picked up enough components that I'm still reloading for $5 a box.

7 hours ago, "Big Boston" said:

These are great to use and roll crimped for easy shucking.

41547317_1371564086314341_3766789702749782016_n.thumb.jpg.d399d7b457be38628cebefef7065749b.jpg

18 minutes ago, Tennessee Snuffy said:

Lots of chatter about low recoil; however, when the beep goes off, do you really notice the shotgun recoil?

If you stand and shoot a bucket you will probably notice some recoil differences but even when I shoot skeet and trap, recoil never comes into play

My 2cents worth 

Heck yes. When I use one SxS with field loads my fingers hurt from getting battered by the trigger guard and my jaw hurts from the recoil, to the point I pause to set myself for the discomfort. When I use my other SxS my shoulder hurts for days afterwards to the point it wakes me up at night and when I drive. The 3/4 ounce reloads I make I don't even notice.

My big thing is tinnitus. I have bad tinnitus so I need low recoil and low noise shells. I had to give up shooting for a few years. Now that I'm retired can get back into cowboy shooting. Hopefully I can do it for a long time.   

900 FPS and I love them.  These are high brass and I find that they eject better than Winchester and Remington. Midway has IN STOCK

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/953268336?pid=268336

Archived