SASS Wire Forum

WTB new shooter main match .38 rifle

What's affordable? A lot of folks can afford a $5000 rifle just fine. Justifying that is another story. ;)

Looking at Gunbroker completed auctions, even Rossi 92's are mostly selling for $900+, shipped, with clean used examples selling for maybe a couple hundred less... maybe... :blink:

I remember buying used Marlins and Rossi's in the $250 - $300 range less than fifteen years ago. Even only 8-10 years ago, a new Rossi could be had for $399 with a little shopping around. Welcome to the new world. :( 

New Henry at Sportsman Wearhouse is around 900.  But out of stock.  Getting the 499 or less,  price point is going to be used at a gun show.  I am also in search of a deal in .38

I recommend you don’t consider the Henry Big Boy. The reasons are many, but if budget is a major concern, it would not be money well spent and you WILL buy something else as soon as you can “afford it”.

A Marlin or ‘66, ‘73, ‘92,....or anything else is a better choice for this application.

1 hour ago, Chert Rock Chuck said:

I recommend you don’t consider the Henry Big Boy. The reasons are many, but if budget is a major concern, it would not be money well spent and you WILL buy something else as soon as you can “afford it”.

A Marlin or ‘66, ‘73, ‘92,....or anything else is a better choice for this application.

Duly noted. What are the main complaints towards it?

50 minutes ago, ScruffaloBill said:

Duly noted. What are the main complaints towards it?

It's a great gun to shoot targets, varmints,  etc, but it's a terrible gun for this game. Trust me I made the mistake. Bought a 73 withing the first 2 weeks of starting. Their very stiff,  have a long lever stroke, and to my knowledge no one does any slicking up on them. I still have mine,  it's very accurate, and I like it, but it's not a "sass gun" as it's advertised to be. 

It's not a reproduction of anything that ever existed back then, it's heavy especially in .357, there are no aftermarket parts such as a short stroke kit, spring kit or trigger kit, and they typically can't be run very fast without jamming.

I have a cousin in Arkansas who wanted to try this game a few years ago, and bought a Henry Big Boy. I think he shot it ONCE, and immediately bought a Uberti 1873 .44-40 and a pair of Vaquero .44-40's.

I agree with all the above statements about the Henry Big Boy.  I bought mine at a gun show a couple of weeks after the first match I shot at.  It's a nicely made, heavy rifle and accurate but all of the comments about the stiffness, long lever throw, etc. are true.  I took it to the local SASS gunsmith and he told me he couldn't get parts to shorten the stroke or lighten the springs.  Plus the Henry has a "lifetime" warranty but it's voided if you can somehow get somebody to modify the rifle. There was another shooter in the club who used one and he told me that if I used .357 instead of .38 rounds it wouldn't jam.  And that seemed to be true.  But it's just not made to run fast and you have to load it through the tube unless you want to load one round at a time (which is fine when there's an extra target or bonus shot).  As suggested stick with a '66 or '73 and you won't be replacing the Henry after a few matches.

Add to all the comments that a shooter next to me at the loading table accidently released the follower as he was trying to insert it and the spring pressure sent it out onto the live range.

Getting the right rifle is a buy once, cry once thing.

I use a Henry "Original" copy of the 1860 sometimes just for style points about once a year. I have no idea if it can be short-stroked but it sure looks great.

57 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Add to all the comments that a shooter next to me at the loading table accidently released the follower as he was trying to insert it and the spring pressure sent it out onto the live range.

Getting the right rifle is a buy once, cry once thing.

I use a Henry "Original" copy of the 1860 sometimes just for style points about once a year. I have no idea if it can be short-stroked but it sure looks great.

He's referring to the Big Boy, not the 1860.

14 hours ago, John E. Law said:

It's a great gun to shoot targets, varmints,  etc, but it's a terrible gun for this game. Trust me I made the mistake. Bought a 73 withing the first 2 weeks of starting. Their very stiff,  have a long lever stroke, and to my knowledge no one does any slicking up on them. I still have mine,  it's very accurate, and I like it, but it's not a "sass gun" as it's advertised to be. 

And, if you try to run them fast, they jam. I have one. Beautiful! Doesn't work for SASS.

I agree with everything here, I think a 45-70 would only be a side match thing, not the best choice as a runner for SASS.  However, I have seen a 38 henry run well at our club and it looks great doing it, but don't have the experience the others do here.  I think you also have to have realistic expectations on the cost, as I am finding and mentioned earlier. Shure you can find a cowboy 336 chambered in 38-40 in pristine condition at a gun show for 450 bucks, like i did two weeks ago,  ....  ( slight brag here )  but that is unusual.  Finding a deal on a 66 or 73 is possible but how long are you willing to wait or how much time willing to spend on going to every gun show in your area.  Its kind of a balance thing for me, getting started is kind of tough so, hitting a few shows and talking to everyone until my feet are on the ground.  I am fortunate that I have a good club and members help me out with loaners on match days, but you always want your own.  

2 hours ago, Sly Eye said:

Shure you can find a cowboy 336 chambered in 38-40 in pristine condition at a gun show for 450 bucks, like i did two weeks ago,  ....  ( slight brag here )  but that is unusual.  

VERY unusual - I've never heard of such a thing. Marlin chambered the 336 in .44 magnum for a few years back in the 60's, but I've never heard of one in any other pistol caliber, and the 336CB was only in .30-30 and .38-55. The .44 mag 336 is not legal as a main match rifle either, as the 336 didn't come along until 1948.

Archived