SASS Wire Forum

Nostalgia

20 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Also, the nozzles did not have shut off capability so you could easily overfill the gas tank!:wacko:

Maybe it was a regional thing or before my car time in the mid 60s, but I don't remember that. My memory is of the gas attendant checking oil and cleaning the windshield while the pump was running unattended. 

Edit: now that I think about it, the pump would shut off automatically if left unattended. But if you stood there holding the lever without the cam engaged, it would overfill. Today it shuts off even if you hold it.

My dad and uncle owned a garage / Texaco gas station from the late 40's until the early 80's. I pumped a lot of gas from the early 60's to the early 70's. I had to hold the nozzle the entire time and listen carefully in order to not overfill the tank. I was happy when the automatic nozzles became available.

Also, the gas cap behind the license plate came after all of Detroit's hidden gas caps of the 50's. It was like a treasure hunt to find them on some of the new cars. B)

image.png.46ed82696d83c47181a83e27573a4b34.png image.png.bf541d0b68d63a3ff4472743512d21e2.png

image.png.40004a2e3c1133aa010f14080e4ddbeb.png image.png.3708dd852507a84d0854c9a97b2dc98f.png image.png.5d5e36a0af990f53d5d95cca4a744c9c.png

I remember a skit on Candid Camera where they modified a new car so the gas cap could not be accessed and the gas station attendants were looking everywhere for it.

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Also, the gas cap behind the license plate came after all of Detroit's hidden gas caps of the 50's. It was like a treasure hunt to find them on some of the new cars. B)

image.png.46ed82696d83c47181a83e27573a4b34.png image.png.bf541d0b68d63a3ff4472743512d21e2.png

image.png.40004a2e3c1133aa010f14080e4ddbeb.png image.png.3708dd852507a84d0854c9a97b2dc98f.png image.png.5d5e36a0af990f53d5d95cca4a744c9c.png

I remember a skit on Candid Camera where they modified a new car so the gas cap could not be accessed and the gas station attendants were looking everywhere for it.

Yup! 

Did the other makers do this, or was it just GM?

1 hour ago, largo casey #19191 said:

How about behind the left rear tail lite.

Largo

As opposed to the front tail light.

2 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

How about behind the left rear tail lite.

Largo

47 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

As opposed to the front tail light.

Don't feel bad largo. Within the past week I told somebody that his left rear brake light was out.

I had one car that had a huge flip top cap in the center of the decklid and another that had the cap in the “C” pillar of the roof!

Now they like to put the cap on the wrong side of the car. You'd think we were in England! Behind the plate was at least centered,but messy in the winter.

Attendant put the gas in, checked your oil and washed your windshield! .32 cents a gallon!

44 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Attendant put the gas in, checked your oil and washed your windshield! .32 cents a gallon!

Don't forget the Green Stamps. Also had Top Value stamps. As a kid, I remember licking all of those stamps and pasting them into the saver books.

The radio tuning thing would be fun for young kids.

I had a 48 Chrysler that had push button radio stations.

But your did not pull out and tune and push to set.

You poll on the button and a chrome cover came off exposing a little knob which you turned to tune the station then push the cover back on.

You did this to each button.

It was like having 7 individual radios to tune.

And it was vertical.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS53jXkgGh8TKGLIhzAU2_

We always went to Uncle JD's service station.  I don't remember what kind of gas he sold.  OK, the Uncle was a courtesy title, tho his wife (Aunt Blanche) was a relation (to me, 6th cousin, I think - we were both 7th generation from our immigrant ancestor).  Anyway, we were always taken care of.  Real well.

My 1962 Renault Dalphine had the gas cap in the rear trunk, next to the engine and the radiator fill cap.  Caught the attendant several times holding the pump handle in one hand and the radiator cap in the other looking puzzled. French engineering at its finest.

9 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Further back still, I remember the Texaco guys in full uniform.  Two would often service the car - they used to BE service stations!

You can trust your car to the men who wear the Star; the big, bright Texaco Star" 

Remember that jingle ca: 1965ish?

9 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Further back still, I remember the Texaco guys in full uniform.  Two would often service the car - they used to BE service stations!

Local Marathon station here had high school girls pumping gas, cleaning windows and checking oils into the early 80's. Buzz Green owned it. His daughter is a friend of my sister. Busiest station in town then! 

5 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Now they like to put the cap on the wrong side of the car. You'd think we were in England! Behind the plate was at least centered,but messy in the winter.

https://www.rd.com/article/car-gas-tanks/

Archived