SASS Wire Forum

Last cartridge pushers

Buckshot Bear

I use a Deer antler tip.If U look at the last cartridge in you will notice it is cocked on the lifter which can cause a little bit of a hangup on the first lever.If you push it in a little farther it usually straightens up.. 92s are worse.

Largo

I had one made of deer antler that I just loved.  It fit my hand perfectly and it curved right into the loading gate.  I wore it in a cartridge loop on my gunbelt.  It fell out in the parking lot at EOT several years ago and was gone forever.  I have since gotten another that doesn't fit my hand as well and I also have a plastic one that I use more frequently.  The plastic one is basically a 3" long plastic rod with a 1" round plastic ball on the end.  I carry it in my cartridge belt.
I hate to be without it because it has saved me countless broken and split thumbnails.

Another place to use a short honey dipper. They work great for seating caps as well.

4 hours ago, Doc Fill 'Em 67797 said:

I made a similar device for my wife. 

There are so many responses to that, but I can't think of one that I can post.^_^

I have two of 'em, always available... Surprisingly, it works best upside down...   Most folks have 'em... I'm pretty lucky that mine're the right size... commonly called a "little finger." :P  I guess those with "fat fingers" would need some sort of ancillary device...:P   Really came in handy when I started using the C45S in the '73, as now I have to push the last cartridge in past the little stop on the carrier...

Over the years I watch many of these tools used.

They all do what they are designed to do.

Push the last round in to the rifle side gate.

What I observed was this.

When it came time to push the last round in to the rifle, the round was started and a weak hand thumb held it in place while reaching for the tool to finish the job.

This took time.

I shot with a lot of top shooters including some of the fastest women in the game at the time.

Most did not use a pusher tool.

For the most part these women had nice figure nails with some being long.

What I noticed was this.

When loading the rifle, they would push in the gate with the next round.

But when they got to the last round they did not reach for a pushing tool.

They used 1 extra round to do the pushing and then pulled it out when the last round was loaded fully.

They would put the extra round back in their bullet of bag what ever they were loading from.

Now this was when reloading on the clock during the stage was common.

The extra round was just dropped to the table or ground.

Comparing the loading using a tool that had to be retrieved from the belt or bag was much slower than using an extra round and dropping  it after using it.

Some said they could use the tool at the loading table and the extra round on the clock but on the clock some times they would reach for the tool loosing time.

So they used the extra round at the loading table as practice for on the clock.

I have a set sequence when loading:

rifle first--if needed I'll take first pistol round and use it to fully load the last rifle round then . . .

it becomes the first pistol round I load

nothing to remember to bring to loading table, nothing to remember to take with me after loading.

3 hours ago, Griff said:

I have two of 'em, always available... Surprisingly, it works best upside down...   Most folks have 'em... I'm pretty lucky that mine're the right size... commonly called a "little finger." :P  I guess those with "fat fingers" would need some sort of ancillary device...:P   Really came in handy when I started using the C45S in the '73, as now I have to push the last cartridge in past the little stop on the carrier...

Neither my wife nor daughter in laws have fat fingers, just beautiful fingers :wub: and very appreciative of these pushers to save those beautiful fingers :) 

I also use a deer antler tip.  I wear it on a leather boot lace around my neck.  Never forget it that way.

21 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

I use a Deer antler tip.If U look at the last cartridge in you will notice it is cocked on the lifter which can cause a little bit of a hangup on the first lever.If you push it in a little farther it usually straightens up.. 92s are worse.

Largo

I have made a number of these for Sassy from elk tines.  She attaches it to her Jax cartridge bag

( http://www.jaxleather.com/cowboyshootingaccessories.html ) and slides tine  behind her belt for carry. 

I make them long enough to fit her hand well and make for easy carry behind belt.  If to large at end,  I radius enough at end  to easily go in loading gate (of course flatten the tip). 

Archived