SASS Wire Forum

Your most fun stage ever?

Shooting Bull

One of my favorites:

started sitting at poker table.  ATB, shoot two balloons with derringer(BP blanks), then move to shotgun and shoot a hole through big sheet of brown paper (using as many or few shells as you needed), then move up and shoot revolver target through the hole you just made.

The Chinese Laundry at Fort Miller was a hoot.  One of the BP guys started a sheet to smokin'.  Hell town is also good time.  The mine car at End of Track.

Was a shoot in Pennsylvania where the stage directions allowed for the loading of the magazines on repeating shotguns to capacity on the clock.

On one stage, there was the typical 10 rifle and 10 pistol. 

Shotgun was as follows.  There were 2 falling shotgun targets that each launched a popper target.  There were also 4 clays on stands for a total of 8 targets.   Stage instructions said "Engage any 6 targets in any order."   Most folks hit the falling targets and chased the poppers, and then went on to the ones on stands, taking 2 to 4 as needed.  Me, I loaded up the 97, went for the falling targets, ignored the fliers, and busted all 4 on the stands before the poppers hit the ground.  

After it was over, everyone was like, "Can he do it that way?"  After rereading the stage directions several times, they came to the conclusion that I had done no wrong.   I was just the only one to think of it that way.

19 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Was a shoot in Pennsylvania where the stage directions allowed for the loading of the magazines on repeating shotguns to capacity on the clock.

Shotgun was as follows.  There were 2 falling shotgun targets that each launched a popper target.  There were also 4 clays on stands for a total of 8 targets.   Stage instructions said "Engage any 6 targets in any order."   Most folks hit the falling targets and chased the poppers, and then went on to the ones on stands, taking 2 to 4 as needed.  Me, I loaded up the 97, went for the falling targets, ignored the fliers, and busted all 4 on the stands before the poppers hit the ground.  

After it was over, everyone was like, "Can he do it that way?"  After rereading the stage directions several times, they came to the conclusion that I had done no wrong.   I was just the only one to think of it that way.

Those Pennsyltukians are an odd bunch, aren't they?

(I'm originally from Philly ;))

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Hmmm.  Was there a specific variance in the stage description... as this has been the rule since... like forever!

- Pump and lever action shotguns are not allowed to load more than two live rounds at a time in the main match stages unless specified in the stage description.

11 minutes ago, Griff said:

- Pump and lever action shotguns are not allowed to load more than two live rounds at a time in the main match stages unless specified in the stage description.

Exactly.   The stage directions allowed for it.  In fact, it was allowed on every stage.  Was a hoot and a half.

TN state WB match last year: Stand and deliver starting with pistol single tap 5 pistol targets, next single tap 5 rifle targets twice with the rifle, next repeat the pistol instructions, next engage 6 shotgun KD in any order, and finally, repeat pistol instructions. Juggling the 3 guns on the table with brass and hulls flying all over was just a hoot.

Going back a few years now.   I believe it was an Indiana State shoot at Paradise Pass, Etna Green, IN.

Important context;  I was in the running for a clean match.

Don’t remember the precise target sequence, but essentially shotgun targets off to one side, followed by rifle then pistols.  

Both rifle and pistols on the same very large targets, way down range.  The rifle shot from quite a long distance.  Made safe at an angle.

Shooter then allowed to move down range as far you wanted to, to engage the same - now pistol - targets.

Many/most stopped when confident enough to hit the targets.

I recall the TO complaining (smiling) that he had to struggle to keep up when I got to point blank range with the first pistol, and moved closer yet for the second.   Time wasn’t that good, but a clang for every bang. 

Haven’t seen a similar set up recently.  Yes, very often we have downrange movements with the rifle and pistol targets shared, but travel is typically limited when shooting the pistols, since it is prudent to stop at a safe distance due to splatter. 
A good memory from a great event.

My favorite stage is anything with 10+ shotgun. And movement. :)

Done it one time. Don't remember where. 'Twas a blast. It was more for shooting to be shooting then for shooting for time. I'd love to do that again.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Done it one time. Don't remember where. 'Twas a blast. It was more for shooting to be shooting then for shooting for time. I'd love to do that again.

Shot a stage like that at Pursuit Into The Osage Nation back in 2016.  This was in Woolaroc Ok.

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

At the Western Regional one year with Cliffhanger, we had an 18 rd all shotgun stage.  What a hoot.  Word of advice, wear gloves if you are shooting black powder.

Lo, I mourn their passin', but... the Texas Peacemakers had the mostest, funnest, absolutely, over-top-innovative stage ever devised by mankind... A 24 shot all knockdown stage... 10 Rifle, 10 pistol, 4 shotgun... and all reset by the single pull of one lever!   There mighta been a couple of extra shotgun knockdown also... I never noticed... I'd man that stage all day... just for the fun of RESETTING the targets!!!

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

The Buzzard Boil in Connecticut does that. They like SG, and seems we all do!

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I was at a shoot that did this once.   It was, if I recall correctly, a 10 stage, 2 day match.   One stage was 10+ shotgun targets and nothing else.   Everyone shot at least 1 clean stage in the match, and this was it.   And yes, you had to move.   The targets were too far apart for you to get them all from one place, even with a 30" full choke barrel.  :)

5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Used to be a club in Cortez that would have a 20 KD stage with 10-10-4.

rifle, pistols SG shooters choice to order. Stand and deliver or lateral movements if desired. Single table in the center of the bay. All guns start on table, all guns restaged on table as necessary. All of the available posse would move up and reset 2-3 targets each to keep things moving. 
If you were careful and accurate you could get all twenty with pistols/rifle. Otherwise clean up with SG. Oh did I mention some targets were partly obscured because of some furrows, depressions etc so only about 3-4 inches of the target was visible? None were particularly close (or far) but the burners had to aim while going fast and the small/far crowd was happy because they thought they could take advantage of their “accuracy”. :D

Heck of a good time. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Shotgun/ Bowling ball stage in Utah.  Would love to do it again.  Great fundraiser for their club.

1 hour ago, Kirk James said:

Shotgun/ Bowling ball stage in Utah.  Would love to do it again.  Great fundraiser for their club.

My curiosity is piqued... 

I guess I'd have to answer this question by saying "anything that Snakebite writes!" He's been writing the stages for Fort Miller (Clovis, CA - we just shot it this weekend) for eons. Snakebite continues to come up with super-fun and pretty challenging scenarios like this one pictured here: Shooter starts with shotgun in hand and shoots as many rounds as needed to open holes in butcher paper to be able to see the three vertical targets behind the paper. Then, with nine rounds in the rifle, shooter triple taps the three targets through the holes in butcher paper - or though the butcher paper, and then moves left to pistol to shoot three pistol targets through a window with a moving barrier (DON'T shoot the barrier!), and then moves right, retrieves shotgun and moves to shotgun position for two poppers. Much better to shoot holes vertically (since the targets are vertical) then it is to blast horizontal holes in the paper (like this shooter did).

[I shot three vertical holes along left edge of paper and I'm pleased to brag that I shot this one clean and pretty quick.]

Last year Snakebite had us shooting through hanging laundry! If you want fun scenarios, come to Fort Miller next year!!!!

RR

Butcher paper.jpg

On 4/16/2022 at 9:39 AM, Griff said:

Lo, I mourn their passin', but... the Texas Peacemakers had the mostest, funnest, absolutely, over-top-innovative stage ever devised by mankind... A 24 shot all knockdown stage... 10 Rifle, 10 pistol, 4 shotgun... and all reset by the single pull of one lever!   There mighta been a couple of extra shotgun knockdown also... I never noticed... I'd man that stage all day... just for the fun of RESETTING the targets!!!

I only shot with them one time several years before they closed down. I remember a stage with all knock downs that was shot from a seated position up on a wagon that was on springs and would move slightly if you did. I believe they set all the targets with the pull of one large lever. Is that the same stage you are describing?

I thought of another one that I'm pretty sure was at Winter Range years and years ago.  I can't remember the whole stage, just the shotgun portion that made it so fun.  Shotgun was 6+ rounds from a window.  There were five knockdowns and one flier.  The first knockdown released a bowling ball which began rolling down a track.  Once the bowling ball reached the other end of the track it launched the flier.  Was incredibly fun and exciting seeing how many of the other four knockdowns folks could get while the bowling ball was in motion and still be able to engage the flier.  

Took a while to reset and with 800 shooters the stage got a bit backed up.  I guess that's why I've never seen it again.  Too bad, it was FUN!!! :D

Archived