SASS Wire Forum

Your most fun stage ever?

Shooting Bull

As we're all aware, there are an infinite number of opinions on what makes a stage fun.  I'm not at all interested in opening that can of worms.  I don't care WHY you think a stage was fun, just describe the stage. 

Mine was at the CA State match a couple of years ago.  Three big targets at a moderate distance.  Gun order was shooters choice, rifle couldn't be last.  Using all four guns perform a continuous double tap Nevada Sweep starting on either end.    

From what I understand it's a bit of a regular stage around SoCal.  For all I know it's common all around the world. But that was the first time I'd ever heard of it and boy it was fun. :D

There's so many it's hard to narrow it down to just 1. I'll go with the most recent that I really enjoyed. Order was rifle from position 2, shotgun from position 2, split pistols positions 1 and 3. Then as a bonus there were 3 eggs set on post. Load 3 rounds in the rifle and take down the eggs from position 2. 2 were at about 10 yards and the last was about 20 yards. Not incredibly difficult but easy to miss if you didn't control your breathing from all the running around. 

I like stages with knock downs in the rifle and pistol pattern, misses can be made up with the shotgun.  I like round count patterns, "shoot all targets at least twice."  I also like popper shotgun targets.

21 minutes ago, Joe Cross, SASS #13848 L said:

Is the round count 10-10-4?

Here's one: three targets set up same way. Gun order is again shooter's choice, rifle not last. Round count is 10 pistol, 8 rifle, and 3 shotgun. Place 7 shots on each target.

The one I described was 10-10-6

Yours sounds FUN too. 

I once saw a video of a stage with four Texas stars (20 targets) any misses were made up with the shotgun.  Now that looked like a fun stage!  Maybe not fun to reset, but fun to shoot.  Perhaps a similar stage but instead of a Texas star simply use 20 shotgun style knock downs?

Carnival annual match at Lincoln County Lawmen, (RI), standard 10-10-4, rifle and pistol sequence shot through windows, shotgun shot through a window that was askew (like 30° off of the level) the first shotgun shot engage the knockdown which had a chain attached to it which then pulled back the lid on a box with a helium filled balloon in it which you engaged through the weird window, then 2 more knockdowns from the right side of the stage front.:D

TB

Oregon State 2018? 2019?

I think it was 

5 rifle 

10 pistol

4 shotgun

One target

Sequence

1 shogun

5 pistol

1 shotgun

5 rifle

1 shotgun

5 pistol

1 shogun

Most everyone talked about how they would do it again.

Side match, but I Really liked Roosters ride at Trailhead. Sitting in the saddle on a horse on rails, 10 rifle on 1 target, hit the lever thats starts the horse rolling, 5 pistol on right(2 targets), 5 on left.  Enjoy moving targets and different sized ones, anything that changes it up. Then again, long as I get to shoot I'm happy. 

EOT '87 or '88... Shooter starts with sixgun in hand, seated in barber chair, reclined back and covered with a drape, from chin to below the knees.  Foot on release to sit up... ATB, either press release, fling aside the drape or just commence shooting your 5 rounds at a cardboard silhouette out the window of the "barber shop".  Silhouette was about 7 feet away... single gun, no movement...   Up in Central CA (Fresno?), shot a stage that consisted of a rail "car" that rolled down thru a series of targets...   Then there's the big swinger behind a set of "in-line" KDs, the swinger (IIRC) was set in motion by a shotgun KD, and you alternated on a rifle KD and the swinger... If you were quick enough you could hit the swinger on either side of the KD rack...  Then there was the saloon set up where you rode your horse up on the covered porch and shot thru the windows and over the batwing doors... oh wait... different game!  But... if your horse didn't balk on the wooden planks... it was quite quick... Ah, the days of training bomb-proof horses... 

In 2000 I shot a stage in Fayette Mo where you engaged targets around a large pond from the deck of a moving pontoon boat. I think that was about the most fun I've had on a single stage. You shot it as a team, with you and your partner trying to clear all the targets. What a blast.

From "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" you had to use the rifle at about 15 yards to shoot the hangman's rope to save Tuco. The "rope" was a 12" long wooden paint stir stick suspended with an S hooks at both ends with a small plate at the bottom with a face drawn on it for tension on the stick. You had 10 shots to break the "rope" with a dump plate for any extra rounds if you broke it.

8 hours ago, Griff said:

Up in Central CA (Fresno?), shot a stage that consisted of a rail "car" that rolled down thru a series of targets...

Hi Griff, yes our powered ore cart is a hoot. We are having our Fort Miller match this week. It is most certainly a fun lovers match. I think my favorite is the Chinese laundry/Cafe stage. Where you can use chop sticks to pick cock roaches out of a bowl of rice before runing through a full stage of hanging laundry shooting the targets as you can see then. HA! What a hoot! 

Kings River Regulators News Coverage of Fort Miller 2016 Annual - YouTube

12 hours ago, The Blarney Kid said:

One of the most fun stage I've shot was at 6 Gun Justice at Rexburg, ID. You had to shoot your pistol targets while riding on a railroad handcar.1595643105_6gunjustice014.thumb.jpg.74088ca599a6f5faba612443cfe39ee9.jpg

My wife's from Idaho Falls.  I need to come up and shoot with you folks sometime.  Sure looks like fun. 

This year's WB at EOT 38 knock downs...... Also Montana State match had you shoot a stick that was in a widow than the door swung open and more shotgun knock downs....( but don't go forward with a loaded sg)

18 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Hi Griff, yes our powered ore cart is a hoot. We are having our Fort Miller match this week. It is most certainly a fun lovers match. I think my favorite is the Chinese laundry/Cafe stage. Where you can use chop sticks to pick cock roaches out of a bowl of rice before runing through a full stage of hanging laundry shooting the targets as you can see then. HA! What a hoot! Our Ore cart was featured on the TV news. I think there is a link on our web page, Kings River Regulators.com

Ah yes... the Chinese Laundry... nope, not one of my favorites... and "ore cart"... why couldn't I think of that last nite?  I think it was the only time I got to shoot with y'all.  

I shot a match several years ago in North Dakota where one stage was shotgun only. Luck of the draw, literally, and very unfair, but fun nonetheless.

There were two or three shotgun targets at each of five positions spaced maybe twenty feet apart. The shooter drew a poker hand from a deck consisting of only the 10, J, Q, K, and aces, and each table was designated 10, J, Q, K, ace. The order you drew the cards was the order you had to shoot, so if you drew 10, 10, 10, 10, J, or 10, J, J, J, J, you were golden, but if you drew ace, 10, ace, 10, ace, you were pretty much screwed, because at the buzzer you had to sprint 40 feet to the end table, shoot, run 40 feet back to the first table, shoot, race back to the far table, and so on. :lol:

Sage Creek Gus of the Big Fork Buscaderos designed and built this devilish contraption he calls the Whirling Dervish.

did one with the Mima Mauraders once where there was a compound target, if you hit a plate it would release a slide that went from right to left.   Once you shot the plate to activate the sliding target (which would drop a bag), the goal was to get the bag to drop into a bucket.

Not overly challenging, but a nice change of pace.

They also have a knock down target array for rifle, either 6 or 8 targets - you knock them down and then dump the remaining shots (if any) on a stationary target.

I haven't gotten to try a Texas star yet. Sounds/looks fun.

2 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I

Git a rope!!!  Even at 2 seconds a miss... that contraption would make me leave a match... 

On 4/11/2022 at 6:22 PM, July Smith said:

I once saw a video of a stage with four Texas stars (20 targets) any misses were made up with the shotgun.  Now that looked like a fun stage!  Maybe not fun to reset, but fun to shoot.  Perhaps a similar stage but instead of a Texas star simply use 20 shotgun style knock downs?

We tried the 20 KD at an annual a couple years ago. We didn't get through with the awards until almost dark thirty.

We swore we'd never do it again.

10 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

I assume that's both pistols and the rifle for a combined 20 shots?

Say you have to shoot rifle first.

Eight targets all lined up.

Shoot in this sequence:

Target 1 then target 4 then sweep all from either direction.

Then with the revolvers.

Sweep all from either direction.

Then target 4 then target 1.

1,4,all,all,4,1.

I call it the sadist sweep.:lol:

Archived