SASS Wire Forum

Hat Cleaning

Tequila Shooter

15 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I’ve got a silver belly colored hat that I love but it’s gotten dirty with BP and such.  Any suggestions on how to clean it?

Had mine blow off and get grass stains. took it back to the maker.  Otherwise. joys of the internet https://blog.tenthstreethats.com/posts/how-to-clean-a-felt-hat  Cities used to have places that cleaned and blocked hats - there might be a survivor of that era and trade near you.

I start off with the air compressor.  Blowing through the hat from the underside, from a distance.  Then get closer in spots, working angles.  I have a small hole in the seam of the liner, you would not ever notice and work the top through that.  After that wet / damp micro fiber.  Then Steam to reshape if needed.  I use my pancake compressor since it is cleaner than my shop air.  This works for me and is good enough for my range hat.  If you have a dinner hat, send it in, otherwise, save your $$

Sly

I enjoyed the link Rip Snorter attached.

I like my silver belly hats, but I too was distraught when ejected rifle brass leaves spots on them.

I complained to some fellow cowboy shooters and most of them laughed at me and said things I can't repeat on this forum.  One old cuss, who only shoots BP, explained that it has taken him years to get just the right "patina'" on his hat and he wouldn't remove it for the world.

I did come across one item that helped get darker stains off my hats (link below).

Hat Cleaning Sponge by M&F Western 01032 (cowtowncowboy.com)

Be careful using the cleaning sponge above. It shaves lint off but will also wear into the felt if you rub to hard. Catalena Hatters did a great job cleaning, re-blocking, new liner and new sweatband one of my older hats for a really reasonable price.

Just my experience.

Jax T

The Boot Barn in Ocala will clean hats.  Also the Western store in Brooksville does hat cleanings.  They also will reshape if needed.

13 hours ago, Lightning Bill Carson said:

The Boot Barn in Ocala will clean hats.  Also the Western store in Brooksville does hat cleanings.  They also will reshape if needed.

Ocala and Brooksville, Florida?  I have a hat that I have had since 1972 that could use a little TLC.  (Damn, that thing will be 50 years old this summer!) .  It will never be "Like New" again, and I don't really want it that way, but it deserves a little lovin'.

Archived