SASS Wire Forum

Big Posses or Waves

Captain Bill Burt

It's not quite time to get the kids up for school so I thought I would stir a different pot.

For those who are interested.

You're choosing which match to attend.  Match A will be doing morning and afternoon waves.  Match B will be using big posses (defined as significantly more than 20 shooters).  Other than that the matches are identical.  What's your preference?

Waves.  On a posse of under 20 everyone that likes to keep busy has a chance to work.  Quite often on the larger posses there are lots of workers that find themselves without a job.  I don't like to stand idle too long.  

Ask again after Alabama State.  I've never shot in one with Waves, but I think Ill agree with Bushrod and Black Hills Barb.

I just shot in my first match with big double posse. And it’s a hard question to answer. First thought it’s the people of both posse that makes the difference. We had two great posse that worked and it went well. It was nice to shoot and not worry about working. But it did last longer without a break. I think the answer would be to shoot 6 stages the first day and 4 the last day. With maybe a small break on day one. 
I like the smaller waves like EOT had in Indiana with someone picking up brass. But that is not always possible and again it depends on the posse. If people share the work it’s a great day.

53 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Other than that the matches are identical.

This assumes the number of participants is also equal.  If that's the case, my preference would be to shoot in waves with smaller posses.

If the goal is to accommodate twice as many shooters with huge posses in waves...well, I'm not a fan of that.

WAVES!

I once (once) shot a match where they doubled up our posse.  It was literally after 5 pm before we finished shooting the first day.  2 hours between each time you shot.  Great posse members, but no one enjoyed it.  I’ll never do it again.

waves

Waves. 20 should be the upper limit. 

that being said, I’m not a huge fan of 12 stage, 3 day matches. Only shooting 4 stages a day is not ideal. 

I'm going waves for big matches. Thirty shooters in a bay whether it's one big posse, or A & B posses splitting duties is very long. One hour at each stage. With waves and smaller posses, that time Is cut down to 30 minutes a stage. When everyone is spending five plus hours shooting five stages, it's not fair to the vendors who have set up and sponsored the event. There's a five hour window with no customers, and when the shooting is done, most are tuckered out and ready to leave. Everyone shooting at the same time takes five plus hours. Shooting in two waves takes under six hours. That's less than one hour difference in total time, and everyone gets the added benefit of two and a half hours of fellowship, shopping, games, sleeping, etc.

On 4/11/2022 at 3:40 PM, Hoss said:

Waves. 20 should be the upper limit. 

that being said, I’m not a huge fan of 12 stage, 3 day matches. Only shooting 4 stages a day is not ideal. 

Bordertown last year was 3 days, 4 per day, and we loved it! We just didn’t feel rushed or too tired at the end of the day. Plenty of time to shop with vendors and wander the streets of Tombstone. But we’re not spring chickens anymore and we are retired. So the three day spread just felt right. I know that younger folks will have issues getting an extra day off work, and I get that. Been there. It won’t work for every match, but it sure was a good fit down there. Our thanks to the match director.

And another vote for “waves”.

Over 22 members for a posse is TOO BIG.

Under 13 members for a posse is TOO SMALL.

15-20 posse members is JUST RIGHT.

What Boomer said +1000. One big posse lends itself to the same 6 or 7 people doing the work for 30 people instead of just 15. It chaps my tail to see so many people standing around and not pitching in while a few work theirs off.

6 minutes ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Not been to a bigger match yet, so I'm curious: Could someone please briefly explain to me what waves are?

Equanimous Phil

Example: day one group #1 shoots 9am-noon, and group #2 shoots noon-3pm. On day two group #2 shoots 9am-noon, and group #1 shoots noon-3pm. 

On 4/12/2022 at 9:11 PM, Harry II Late said:

Waves.  Just shot a 2 day match this weekend. It took 7 + hours to shoot 5 stages each day.  It would have been easier to run the New York Marathon or Cooper River Bridge run.  Never again. 

Cooper River Bridge run:  had to look that one up

glad there are people willing to do that

doubly glad I'm not one of them

10 hours ago, Boolit Boomer said:

Example: day one group #1 shoots 9am-noon, and group #2 shoots noon-3pm. On day two group #2 shoots 9am-noon, and group #1 shoots noon-3pm. 

Then there is the three waves/rotations used in the larger (400+) matches of 12 stages, 4 per day for 3 days.  8-11, 11-2, 2-5.  Posse changes from Early, mid, late per club designation (ex. Early 1st day, mid 2nd day, late 3rd day, or perhaps late 1st day then mid 2nd day, then early 3rd day, or mid-early-late, etc) 

Archived