SASS Wire Forum

Nuclear Shelters an interesting article read

Buckshot Bear

If there is ever a nuclear war I hope my family and I are lucky enough to be under the first bombs that go off. 
Life after nukes is not life. It’s a struggle until you are dead from the after effects. 

26 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

An interactive map showing the effects of a nuclear strike with the size/type of your choosing or choose from various countries known weapons,

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Fascinating. Horribly fascinating! 

This allows you to see the devastation of one bomb going off or dozens, if you take the time to load the cities. 

20 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Fascinating. Horribly fascinating! 

This allows you to see the devastation of one bomb going off or dozens, if you take the time to load the cities. 

You're right about horribly fascinating. The projected results from fireball, fallout, etcetera is disturbing to say the least...especially the fallout.

I was on a SADM team. ‘Nuff said! :blink:

Then you know some of the things that make life after nuclear weapons contamination very very bad. 

When I was a kid I used to fantasize what I would do if there was a nuclear war. I actually designed my own fallout shelter and was very proud that my intuition impressed adults. 
Then I entered the US Navy and eventually got a real education on nuclear war and weaponry. 
Nasty nasty business. 

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

“get down on the ground on the up range side of a truck and cover up with a poncho “

When I first went aboard ship we were assigned GQ Stations, General Quarters (battle stations). I was in the aft missile launcher. My friend Mike was assigned to the starboard Chaff Launcher on the O-4 or O-5 level (can’t remember which).

Chaff Launchers are outside the skin of the ship exposed to the elements. 
Anyway, a couple of months after we boarded we had some in depth training on battle at sea and one of the subjects was “Nuclear Detonations”.

I recall the officer giving the training telling us at what yields our ship could withstand at what distances. 
My friend, looking a bit concerned, asked the question “Where can I hide outside the skin of the ship to avoid exposure? My GQ station is the Chaff Launchers.”

The Lieutenant said “Let me answer your question with a question. Where do you think you could hide from a huge dose of gamma radiation and 6000 degree searing heat?”

It got awful quiet in the compartment after that. 

As far as the effects of radiation, long-term, are concerned, in 1947, when I was five, they had a wonderful new tool for shrinking kids' tonsils and adenoids...called x-ray.  This was only two years after Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the long term effects on the thyroid weren't know.  Flash forward to the 1970's, and hospitals that had treated children with x-ray issued a recall.  How to check the thyroid? Have the patient drink radio-iodine and check with a Geiger counter.  Ten years later, ultrasound was developed.  My doc says go have one. Sure enough, adenomas on both sides! They could do a needle biopsy, but might miss the nodules. Later, that could be done using ultrasound as a guide, but my doc at the time put me on synthroid and rechecked three, six and twelve months later.  Good news: the nodules shrank!  Been having an annual ultrasound since, and the latest one showed no change over the past decades! 

As far as a "nukukar" attack is concerned, when I was on active duty as a missile maintainer, civilian friends back home used to ask if I was afraid being to close to an ICBM warhead.  I told them if it went off at that range (which it couldn't), it wouldn't matter if it was a nuke or a hand grenade.

Where I live now, if "they" shot three 5 megatoners at a base about 65 miles away, chances are one would fall short.  So why worry about it? If I knew they were coming, I probably would get my M-1 rifle and stand outside and shoot at the incoming warheads...ultimate act of defiance, you know! :o

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When I first went aboard ship we were assigned GQ Stations, General Quarters (battle stations). I was in the aft missile launcher. My friend Mike was assigned to the starboard Chaff Launcher on the O-4 or O-5 level (can’t remember which).

Chaff Launchers are outside the skin of the ship exposed to the elements. 
Anyway, a couple of months after we boarded we had some in depth training on battle at sea and one of the subjects was “Nuclear Detonations”.

I recall the officer giving the training telling us at what yields our ship could withstand at what distances. 
My friend, looking a bit concerned, asked the question “Where can I hide outside the skin of the ship to avoid exposure? My GQ station is the Chaff Launchers.”

The Lieutenant said “Let me answer your question with a question. Where do you think you could hide from a huge dose of gamma radiation and 6000 degree searing heat?”

It got awful quiet in the compartment after that. 

In training I saw a lot of nuke test videos. One, that wasn’t released for publication, had a goat staked out about 2,000 yards from ground zero. There was a poncho between two poles between him as the bomb. 
Upon ignition the goat stopped grazing and looked up at the sudden light with what was probably a Huh? expression. The poncho smoked and absorbed all the thermal radiation in an instant. Billy remained unsinged. Nor a burnt hair.

Then the blast hit and there was only the like stake with a bit of rope attached. :blink:

So, in conclusion, a standard poncho is an effective barrier against the initial sunburn. A lead poncho would be good for the gamma rays. Kinda heavy though. 
But when that Mike Tyson/Thor’s Hammer+++ sucker punch hits…..it’s all over but the flyin, dude. ;)

43 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

In training I saw a lot of nuke test videos. One, that wasn’t released for publication, had a goat staked out about 2,000 yards from ground zero. There was a poncho between two poles between him as the bomb. 
Upon ignition the goat stopped grazing and looked up at the sudden light with what was probably a Huh? expression. The poncho smoked and absorbed all the thermal radiation in an instant. Billy remained unsinged. Nor a burnt hair.

Then the blast hit and there was only the like stake with a bit of rope attached. :blink:

So, in conclusion, a standard poncho is an effective barrier against the initial sunburn. A lead poncho would be good for the gamma rays. Kinda heavy though. 
But when that Mike Tyson/Thor’s Hammer+++ sucker punch hits…..it’s all over but the flyin, dude. ;)

Interesting that the poncho took the heat. Too bad Billy wasn't heavier. :lol:

15 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Radiation! Does anyone remember the machine in shoe stores that let you x ray your feet to see if your shoes fit?  Dad was a Doc and had radiology training as well, needless to say I wasn't permitted to look.

Yes, Florsheim shoes, if I  remember correctly. There was a store in my hometown that had that machine. I recall my Dad wouldn't let me see my feet through the scope after my brother did it. He scolded my brother. They apparently knew that it was bad yet the machine was there and fully operational. This was around 1968.

13 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yes, Florsheim shoes, if I  remember correctly. There was a store in my hometown that had that machine. I recall my Dad wouldn't let me see my feet through the scope after my brother did it. He scolded my brother. They apparently knew that it was bad yet the machine was there and fully operational. This was around 1968.

Interesting they would still be around in '68.  My experience had to be around '57.

On a cell phone so posting the links is too big a PITA.
Google Nike / Ajax sites.

Note that those sites were armed with nuclear tipped surface to air missiles. Plan was to fire 1 SAM and take out multiple Russian bombers. 

Never saw a plan that talked about the fallout from those SAMs though. 

6 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Radiation! Does anyone remember the machine in shoe stores that let you x ray your feet to see if your shoes fit?  Dad was a Doc and had radiology training as well, needless to say I wasn't permitted to look.

Oh, yeah!  I wonder if my peripheal nuropathy in my feet has anything to do with that, or is it just the Type 2? :(

7 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Interesting....had to Google a good read up on those -

https://interestingengineering.com/the-era-of-the-shoe-fitting-fluoroscope-and-the-radiation-it-caused

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Now, about those X-Ray glasses I had when I was a kid....

1 minute ago, Cypress Sun said:

The ones on the back of comics that allowed you to see through girls clothing :) .....Xray Specs

c88cb9165f8e7b43232d396daf84a4eb.thumb.jpg.0d494016543bb59cd6b3c520248de7e7.jpg

7 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

5 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

The ones on the back of comics that allowed you to see through girls clothing :) .....Xray Specs

c88cb9165f8e7b43232d396daf84a4eb.thumb.jpg.0d494016543bb59cd6b3c520248de7e7.jpg

Yeah, 2 dark plastic lenses with a feather stuck between them. :lol:

I had a pair too

The State Mental Hospital in Athens had a sizable Civil Defense shelter underneath its massive structure.

Sadly, it was decommissioned, supplies were discarded or donated to the local medical community.

The local hospital wanted nothing to do with the white-enamel-and-red-trim bedpans and urinals, so they gave them to the emergency squads.

We used the pretty white bedpans for flowerpots in our station's front window, and the white-enamel urinals were cold water pitchers in the station's fridge.

Archived