SASS Wire Forum

Favorite western/cowboy/country songs

Haven’t seen a thread here dealing with country music so figured I would see what people liked, my first choice would be “This cowboys hat” by the late Chris LeDoux, that song always gets to me

The Gambler by Kenny Rogers

6 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Big Iron, by Marty Robbins

I agree! El Paso is great too!

46 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

What ever happened to Randolph Scott  - by the Statler Brothers.

“El Paso City” by Marty Robbins

“24 Hours At A Time” by The Marshall Tucker Band

“Crazy Arms” by Ray Price and Willy Nelson

”Seven Spanish Angels” by Willy Nelson and Ray Charles

Most ANYTHING that The Marshall Tucker Band did, because their music is where Country Music SHOULD have gone!!  Check out their “Searchin’ For A Rainbow” album and you’ll see what I mean!!

58 minutes ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

Haven’t seen a thread here dealing with country music so figured I would see what people liked, my first choice would be “This cowboys hat” by the late Chris LeDoux, that song always gets to me

Chris has a special place , When I rode The guy that made my Chaps lived across the road  from him , Just a normal cowboy  despite being a world champ  sat out one night with a campfire , he grabs a guitar and starts playing .  

And If you like him Ned is alot like his Dad 

John Denver and Chris LeDoux both did The Song Of Wyoming. The song brings many visual memories back to me of Arizona, Colorado, and other western locals.

I used to sing it to my kids when they were small. In 2015 we took my then 22-year old daughter and my FIL through the Black Hills into Wyoming via Custer. After we crossed the Wyoming line my daughter asked me to sing it again as I drove the RV. I did, not realizing that she was recording me on her phone.

Last summer her phone was damaged beyond repair and one of her concerns was that the recording was lost. (It wasn't.) During all of this drama, my wife was doing crafting with her "Little Sister" of Big Brother/Big Sisters and she heard how much my singing meant to my daughter. My wife's "Little" then started begging me to sing it for her. I don't like to sing in front of people so my default answer is no. She then asked if I would sing it to her if she graduated high school with honors. How can I say no to that??? The kids is brilliant so I expect I will be singing it again in another four years.

“Caballo Diablo” by The Charlie Daniels Band.   Three friends of mine played on this album! It’s still one of the most popular albums out there!  “Fire On The Mountain”

3 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

“Caballo Diablo” by The Charlie Daniels Band.   Three friends of mine played on this album! It’s still one of the most popular albums out there!  “Fire On The Mountain”

Charlie was a hell of a nice guy , My uncle met him through Justin Boots that he worked for , I met through him doing a pancake cookout for the Justin Cowboys fund 

Riders in the Sky 

Members of the Western Writers of America chose it as the greatest Western song of all time.

My vote goes to our own Frederick Jackson Turner. My grandkids insist that his music is on every time they ride in Papaw's truck.

Not a fan myself, particularly the current crop of artists and their products.

My dad worked the back door at the Grand Ole Opry for several years and was friends with Marty Robbins and others. Many of my friends have worked with country acts and I went to school with players who appeared with numerous big name artists and did session work in the recording industry.

In nearly EVERY case, they play Rock or Blues when they get together or appear on their own.

I have a little spot in my music appreciation for great country, where musicianship and arrangements stand out. I also have respect for some of today’s country artists who are not so impressed with themselves that they think what they do is of any great importance.

Rosanne Cash - Tennessee Flat Top Box

Any George Straight tune.

There are so many Country and Western songs I love, and the list would be long. But sometimes back in the 70s, I heard this song late at night while working out of state for Amoco on an assignment. Then when my dad passed away and me and the wife were driving back home, this song came on the radio and its one that always brings back memories of my dad and what he went through to provide for us.

Original artist was Gene Autry, but I like this version better.

Archived