SASS Wire Forum

1873 ejection fix?

Count em Cody

I purchased a new Winchester 1873 by Miroku 8 years ago when I joined this fun sport.  I runs beautifully and shoots great but it has always ejected empty brass forward rather than back.  With the difficulty in obtaining brass these days, it would be great if I could find a remedy for this problem so I wouldn't be going through so much brass.  This topic may have been on the forum before but I couldn't locate the thread.  How about it, Cowboys & Cowgirls?

This is an old ad by Silver Sam.  Scroll down through the pics and look at the top of the carrier.  He says Miroku started shaping the carrier this way which helps.  Also, Silver Sam posted a few years ago about another mod to the carrier that involved grinding into the top of it with a ball grinder which took off some material on both sides.  I can't find that post, but you might message him and ask.

I'm looking forward to being enlightened. I have a few 73s and a 66 and ejection is not the strong point on any of them. I'm happy with reliable, even if the empties only jump out about 6 inches. 

It has a bit to do with how fast the carrier hits it out. I made the hammer spring adjustment a bit lighter and that gave me a bit more consistency. Can't say I noticed that the shells eject forward, mostly a wee bit back. 

Perhaps time to make a video, and look at what is happening. 

BB

Here is the OP that shows how to modify a Miroku Carrier in a '66 or '73 so that it will quit throwing your empties forward.........

I use to get about 5% of my brass back.... Since the mod I average around 90%....

Archived