SASS Wire Forum

Vanity license plates

Saw  a dandy at the grocery today.  An older Suzuki with cute blond and her daughter got out as I rolled in.  The plate read SUESUKI and she had painted an abbreviation mark between the E and the second S above the line of letters so it read SUE'SUKI.

When I got inside I asked the mommy if her name was Sue.  NOPE!  That's the little girl's name.

That's funny. When I saw the title I immediately thought of my mom's Mustang convertible with SueAnn on the back. Too many truckers honked at her so it only lasted one year. Lol

never saw the allure , its something that is fad like to me unless you have a classic/collectible that i will never own , i do see a lot of them tho , some are hard to read , 

I suppose that most people consider a vehicle as just a way to get from point A to point B. For some of us, though, our vehicles are more than that. I've always loved Jeeps. My first car was a 1948 CJ2-A. I've had four more since then. This one is my latest, and probably last.

My Jeeps have all been called "Muddog", so I decided "Why not!"IMG_0420.thumb.JPG.8c7d17290420e1f55ad9a7422366bdf9.JPG

When I bought my Chevy S10 ZR2 in 2003 I got a personalized plate. I couldn’t get my SASS alias but it was close. 
“PAT RYUT”

That was the only personalized plate I have had. 

Isn't it illegal to use a marker or paint on your plates? Just askin' here.............

Some fun ones I've seen over the years.

A Porche 911 with "IX XI"

A Honda Odessey with "HOMER"
A light blue minivan with "RUH ROH" (Think Mystery Machine)

Years ago I wanted a personalized plate that read IM4NRA so I sent in the paperwork and money and waited. One day I get a letter from DMV that my request had been denied. I met a few guys for coffee nearly every morning in Escondido and one of them was an attorney and he heard about the denial and told me for $250.00 he’d get me the plate so I figured what the heck why not. Well I paid him and filled out new paperwork and gave it to him and forgot about it. A few months later I got the plate. Over the years it’s been transferred to a couple of other vehicles but when I went to transfer it to my new truck the DMV cancelled it and said it wasn’t in good taste. The attorney that helped me get it initially was dead and I’m pretty sure that it would have cost a lot more than $250.00 to fight it so the plate just hangs on the wall of the shop now.

A57CB144-917B-4CB8-94C6-D11517F81EE8.jpeg

10 hours ago, watab kid said:

never saw the allure , its something that is fad like to me unless you have a classic/collectible that i will never own , i do see a lot of them tho , some are hard to read , 

You mean like NE1410S?

Anyone for tennis

I have two ! One , I think, is very appropriate. The other is just ‘cause it suits me!

They’re on my rat rod and Ol’ Green, my old pickup

675DE494-D479-4961-ABFF-7EB9062235C9.jpeg

5B69F875-39CA-4724-AB38-809265D3C171.jpeg

FBDB217F-3619-4008-80BC-5CEC257D2C3A.jpeg

I think the most memorable plate I saw was on a white Volkswagen Rabbit. The plate read “ML8 ML8”, as in “I’m Late, I’m Late”. :D

Back in the 90’s a friend had a black Mercury Cougar. At that time to get a personalized plate one had to fill out a request and you could list up to 10 variations of the plate. The California DMV would go down the list and if a variation hadn’t been taken you got your plate PROVIDED it passed through their “censorship committee”. I have no idea what the committee is called. That’s what we called it. 

Anyway, he wanted a plate that basically said “Black Cat” so he listed all the variations he could think of. The last of his 10 submissions passed. It was “BLKKKAT”. Plates could only have 7 characters, so there was no space between the letters. 
It didn’t dawn on him that he had a plate that said “KKK” in the middle of it until on the same day, he got pulled over and questioned about his affiliation with the KKK and someone at work filed an EEO complaint that he was being racist. 
My friend told the cop to go do an impossible act on himself and I, being his supervisor, told the EEO investigators that the State of California issued that tag so take it up with them.
He continued to get comments about it from various people. 
He had that plate for 3 or 4 years. He thought about changing it but the more crap he got about it the more it galvanized him. 
In the end he moved out of California so it became a non-issue. 

18 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

11 9? Perhaps “IX XI”?;)

Bingo. That's what I get for posting while sipping my first cup of coffee. I fixed it.

10 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Bingo. That's what I get for posting while sipping my first cup of coffee. I fixed it.

Geez Doc. Posting before your first cup of coffee is worse than posting after your third cocktail! You know better! 

12 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Geez Doc. Posting before your first cup of coffee is worse than posting after your third cocktail! You know better! 

I know, I know.  I'm just surprised I was as coherent as I was. I'll go sit in the corner and think about what I've done.

8 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I didn't think mud was allowed in Arizona  :mellow:

52 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You have to mix your own.

I use a kids' wading pool and a garden hose.

I started in Ohio, where there's plenty of it, but now, I just wait for Monsoon.

One's that I have seen

2TH DR   turned out to belong to a dentist.

TOPLESS we were behind it on the highway and it was being driven by a female.  every car that sped passed her everyone would glance over at her.  It was a convertable but, the top was up.

When I sold my limited edition 86 Harley to my buddy, he got a personalized plate:

14U2NV

"One for you to envy"

I have always run 2-HORGS on my bikes and HOGHUT on the trailer/camper we towed behind it.

Used to work with a man named Tom. He drove a Mercury Cougar. License was TOMS CAT.

Guy around the corner. I assume he is going through a midlife crisis, and every time I see it I wonder if Medicare paid for it. Corvette.

DR SAID 2

I had 40 ROD in California, But I got disabled vet plates in Arizona that only allowed 5 figures and 40ROD was already taken.

I had 4TRD1 on my pickup and 4TRD2 on my Impala.  Sold the truck and am waiting for a new car, hopefully next month.  I'm going to try for 40ROD or 4TROD on it.

I was thinking that whenever I leave CA and end up in WV or PA I would like a plate that says “SCREW CALIFORNIA”, too many characters, but maybe I may have to settle for “SCRWCAL” or better yet, whatever the basic plate comes with and just forget about this place. ;)

Illinois did allow 7 letters at one time, not sure if that is still the rule.

An OB/GYN in Chicago had DR KRACH on his Ferrari. Used to be parked at Lake Shore Mazda, then owned by his brother.

Used to see a red Mercedes convertible around central Illinois when I was working. Plate was NO WIFE.

Boy did that guy get honked at and thumbs up at every stoplight.

I still say the BEST EVER was one I saw in the drop-off line at Durham (NC) School of the Arts:  U NCSU X.  It you're from NC, you know.

14 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You mean like NE1410S?

Anyone for tennis

yup - the last NE 10 plate i saw was a guy that was born in Nebraska in their county 10 , i was born in another state and i have no idea what that county their might be ...............i was born in county 7 of my state wanta guess what that is ? named after chief blackhawk if that helps , 

but then if someone wants to pay the extra and get that identity i dont really care , i wont pay for it , nor do i want the notoriety of such a label , i dont put bumper or window stickers on the truck either , i reluctantly fly a sign or flag on my front lawn save for our american flag - if someone has an issue with the stars and stripes come see me - im ready 

For nearly 10 years East Coast Filly and I had a vanity plate on our pick 'em up that read 2FLAKES. We picked it because our last name is Snow. But most people, even those that knew our name, thought it had something to do with cereal. We let it go in 2019 when we sold the truck. Didn't want the hassle with the DMV and the almost $100/year the state wanted.

On 4/10/2022 at 4:44 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Isn't it illegal to use a marker or paint on your plates? Just askin' here.............

2,000 to Life here in CA...  :D

On 4/10/2022 at 4:44 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Probably but if it doesn't obscure or change anything really important most people just don't care.  This is Arizona where a lot of unimportant crap gets overlooked by the authorities.

We have better things to do here.

Archived